300TDI Thermostat Housing Repair - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 9th, 2014, 11:18 AM
sjpin
Scott P
None

300TDI Thermostat Housing Repair

I was driving yesterday and steam starting coming from the engine. I stopped and popped the hood. The whole area was covered in coolant. It looks like the top of the plug that is on the top of the thermostat housing broke off and coolant was coming from the new hole. I am a newbie at this stuff. Is there any magic to this repair other than getting the broken plug out and putting in a new o ring and plug? Also, any good suggestions on getting the old plug out? I was thinking of a screw extractor. A picture is below. Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1005324308.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	478.7 KB
ID:	91005  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 9th, 2014, 12:20 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjpin View Post
I was driving yesterday and steam starting coming from the engine. I stopped and popped the hood. The whole area was covered in coolant. It looks like the top of the plug that is on the top of the thermostat housing broke off and coolant was coming from the new hole. I am a newbie at this stuff. Is there any magic to this repair other than getting the broken plug out and putting in a new o ring and plug? Also, any good suggestions on getting the old plug out? I was thinking of a screw extractor. A picture is below. Thanks in advance.
Buy a brass replacement ... I would have thought a suitably large screwdriver lightly tapped into the hole would be able to turn that out.
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old March 9th, 2014, 02:57 PM
sjpin
Scott P
None

Thanks Jason. I got the old one out easily with a screwdriver and I am going to order a brass plug replacement tomorrow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 9th, 2014, 06:31 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Clean it up well and make sure the new O-ring sits well and don't crush it when you tighten the new plug!
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions