300tdi strange overheat - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 21st, 2009, 06:12 PM
Epsom_D2
Sean-Paul Ferrera
1994 D90 POE

Registry
300tdi strange overheat

This weekend I dropped the oil pan resealed (no more leaks) and installed a new thermostat and bled the system in my 300tdi. After all of that now it will run for about 3-5 miles with no problems needle comes up slowly and then sits dead center on the gauge for awhile, but then all of a sudden it jumps up and starts a slow charge towards the red. I'm attempting to rebleed the system, but I'm concerned as I'm supposed to be making the drive from FL to CO for the national rally starting Friday and I don't feel like starting with such an unknown.

Pendy, I know I probably need a bigger radiator for my 300 with 35s and all so I'm definitely looking at that option in the very near future if not now (if I can get one at the rally and install it that would kick butt). I also ordered a new VDO gauge (310-105) and sender (323-095) from Egauges. Any idea if the threads on the sender will be ok or if I'm going to have to tap the existing threads to make it fit? Just trying to figure out how to make all the work I have to do fit in the time I have before departure on Friday.

Looking forward to seeing some of you at the rally.

Thanks guys,
S-P
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 21st, 2009, 08:21 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
No need to tap it. THey make a sender that screws right in.. Make sure its not a grounding issue as well. I had that with my truck. It kept shooting the temp gauge over the op and it was not over heating. It ended up being a loose ground..
Old July 21st, 2009, 08:57 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

I am having a brain fart as to the name, but you may want to look at the stop that restricts water flow during warm-up. If it is broken and stays shut it will cause what you are describing.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 21st, 2009, 10:36 PM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

Better get a tow truck and a trailer then. Cross country trip in your situation does not sound good. If it is a defender there needs to be a good ground wire from the engine to the firewall for the gauge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epsom_D2
This weekend I dropped the oil pan resealed (no more leaks) and installed a new thermostat and bled the system in my 300tdi. After all of that now it will run for about 3-5 miles with no problems needle comes up slowly and then sits dead center on the gauge for awhile, but then all of a sudden it jumps up and starts a slow charge towards the red. I'm attempting to rebleed the system, but I'm concerned as I'm supposed to be making the drive from FL to CO for the national rally starting Friday and I don't feel like starting with such an unknown.

Pendy, I know I probably need a bigger radiator for my 300 with 35s and all so I'm definitely looking at that option in the very near future if not now (if I can get one at the rally and install it that would kick butt). I also ordered a new VDO gauge (310-105) and sender (323-095) from Egauges. Any idea if the threads on the sender will be ok or if I'm going to have to tap the existing threads to make it fit? Just trying to figure out how to make all the work I have to do fit in the time I have before departure on Friday.

Looking forward to seeing some of you at the rally.

Thanks guys,
S-P

Advice is only as good as the person applying it--
Don't make me give you bad advice!

Lemons or lemonaide, whatever your taste provides.
Old July 22nd, 2009, 08:38 AM
diesel_jim
Jamie Austin
1992 110 Td5 CSW & 1989 MB G-Wagen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckon37s
I am having a brain fart as to the name, but you may want to look at the stop that restricts water flow during warm-up. If it is broken and stays shut it will cause what you are describing.
Thermostat.
Old July 22nd, 2009, 09:46 AM
Epsom_D2
Sean-Paul Ferrera
1994 D90 POE

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by pendy
Better get a tow truck and a trailer then. Cross country trip in your situation does not sound good. If it is a defender there needs to be a good ground wire from the engine to the firewall for the gauge.
I will check on the grounding for the gauge and the t-stat appears to be working correctly. Buck, I wish you remembered what that part was called as I would go looking for that, but I can't say I was aware of another part other than the thermostat that controls coolant flow during engine warm up.

Right now I'm planning on towing it to the rally as I don't feel like carrying 5 people in the 90 plus luggage, not to mention if something breaks on the trail driving some 2200 miles back wouldn't be fun.

Pendy, any chance you are going to be at the rally and I could convince you to fab and carry one of your HD radiators with you so i could install it at the rally? Obviously you'd get $ and my core when I pull it at the rally.

S-P
Old July 22nd, 2009, 10:48 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Yeah, I was thinking of the thermostat. I missed where you said you replaced it. Since I think it is easy to get to, you could try removing it and drive it. Since it's summer there will be no harm. It could be jammed.

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old July 22nd, 2009, 11:48 AM
Epsom_D2
Sean-Paul Ferrera
1994 D90 POE

Registry
Ya I was driving without one (housing in but it was de-cored) and it was cooling just fine with the needle never moving from dead center. I should know better than to fix what isn't broken. At this point I may as well fix both the minor issue of today and the larger problem Pendy is saying of just not having enough cooling capacity.

S-P
Old July 22nd, 2009, 11:50 AM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

No I will not be at the rally this year. Have not missed it in 15 years but my cards do not allow me to go this year.

No sure if I have a core to work with. And this time of year the radiator shop is very bust so no last minute work goes quickly. I would have you stop by while traveling. You can can drop it off on your way home for me to sort it out if you like. Driving trails may not be to bad. But driving the road in the mountains will heat you very quickly. Choose a lower gear and go slower to keep the coolant flowing is all I can advise. Just not a good situation.

Good Luck

Quote:
I will check on the grounding for the gauge and the t-stat appears to be working correctly. Buck, I wish you remembered what that part was called as I would go looking for that, but I can't say I was aware of another part other than the thermostat that controls coolant flow during engine warm up.

Right now I'm planning on towing it to the rally as I don't feel like carrying 5 people in the 90 plus luggage, not to mention if something breaks on the trail driving some 2200 miles back wouldn't be fun.

Pendy, any chance you are going to be at the rally and I could convince you to fab and carry one of your HD radiators with you so i could install it at the rally? Obviously you'd get $ and my core when I pull it at the rally.

S-P

Advice is only as good as the person applying it--
Don't make me give you bad advice!

Lemons or lemonaide, whatever your taste provides.
Old July 22nd, 2009, 01:38 PM
Epsom_D2
Sean-Paul Ferrera
1994 D90 POE

Registry
Well after trying many things to diagnose the issue I dropped it off at a Rover shop down here in SoFla that I know well and they tested it and it runs between 150 and 160 deg. It appears that I've got a bad gauge, sender, or ground so the new ones will go in and hopefully that fixes all the problems. At least I know I'm not going to grenade the engine from running it too hot.

Thanks for all the help guys.

S-P
Old July 22nd, 2009, 08:00 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Well after trying many things to diagnose the issue I dropped it off at a Rover shop down here in SoFla that I know well and they tested it and it runs between 150 and 160 deg. It appears that I've got a bad gauge, sender, or ground so the new ones will go in and hopefully that fixes all the problems. At least I know I'm not going to grenade the engine from running it too hot.

Thanks for all the help guys.

S-P
How did you get it to run that cool? You got a tech tip your not sharing? After heating up I can't get it below 185. I peak at 210.

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old July 23rd, 2009, 11:46 AM
Epsom_D2
Sean-Paul Ferrera
1994 D90 POE

Registry
You gotta sprinkle some pixie dust into the expansion tank, that's the trick.

Man if I knew what was done to get it to run that cool I'd share. Parts are all just stock stuff. Shop is telling me this, so it is a possibility their instruments are off, but the new VDO gauge and sender will be the ultimate judge. I figure when I'm pushing it down the highway at 70mph it will probably run closer to the 190 range, but I know that when I was testing everything I could keep my hands on all the coolant hoses without getting burnt (my hands are nearly made of asbestos, but the hoses weren't hot like the t-stat housing). The air being pulled off the radiator was also not too hot, in fact compared to the heat here in FL it was almost refreshing.

It was tested with another gauge out of another 300tdi defender in their shop and it ran cool with that gauge/sender. I feel pretty safe about things right now, not to say that I won't be driving with one eye on the gauge the whole time.

What is considered the high end of the safe temperature range for a 300 so I have a point of no return?

S-P
Old July 23rd, 2009, 12:02 PM
crown14
Verticalscrote
Volkswagen Super Beetle
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Are you running a fan?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
300tdi, tdi