300TDI side intake questions - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 6th, 2014, 09:10 AM
red64chevelle
Daniel Smith
86 110 300TDI,16 Disco Sport

Registry
300TDI side intake questions

I have my engine in-place, and am hooking out all the systems, but my fenders are stock. I want to install the side intake for the engine, but don't have a hole in my fender. I have two questions:

1. Can I still have the intake on the right side if I have a LHD with the heater box on the right side? It does not look like there is a whole lot of room for the pipe work to fit in. I am still using my LHD 110 factory A/C bulkhead, but with a standard heater box. The factory A/C unit is removed, maybe to be refurbed and replaced one day.

2. Does anyone have a 300TDI side intake template so I can cut the hole in the right place?

Thanks in advance.

-Dan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 6th, 2014, 09:48 AM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by red64chevelle View Post
I have my engine in-place, and am hooking out all the systems, but my fenders are stock. I want to install the side intake for the engine, but don't have a hole in my fender. I have two questions:

1. Can I still have the intake on the right side if I have a LHD with the heater box on the right side? It does not look like there is a whole lot of room for the pipe work to fit in. I am still using my LHD 110 factory A/C bulkhead, but with a standard heater box. The factory A/C unit is removed, maybe to be refurbed and replaced one day.

2. Does anyone have a 300TDI side intake template so I can cut the hole in the right place?

Thanks in advance.

-Dan
LHD with A/C and the 300 side intake vent is no problem at all...I had that exact config on my last 110.

I have a side intake vent I can trace & send to you...I might even have my old plastic one I could make arrangements to mail to you on loan (need to check).

Or if you want to upgrade to the CNC version we can talk as well . You may be better off NOT going with the plastic one since you'll need to screw it in place and the factory plastic one uses little tiny pins to hold it (and no screw holes). I have ones with screw holes...so you could get the hole cut in a slightly smaller diameter and just use self-tapping screws and you'd be in business (and wouldn't look out of place or non-factory).

PM me and we can chat.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old July 6th, 2014, 11:12 AM
Viton
Deaf Ember
Smart 4x4

At one time I had the paper template, it came with my LR repower kit. I drive a lot of dirt roads, living out west, and they are mostly dry & dusty. I opted against that air intake position due to there is a lot of dust billowing in that area just behind the wheel. I decided to use some ABS pipe fittings to direct the intake to the vent on top of the right fender. I made a little bracket to hold the ABS parts and drilled a couple of hole in the inner fender edge to hold in in place.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 6th, 2014, 11:35 AM
Mybluett
Defenders Northwest
110SW
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by red64chevelle View Post

Thanks in advance.

-Dan
Route the intake to the front LH wing top and add a cover or raised intake - or buy the correct RH wing-side and paint it
Old July 6th, 2014, 05:12 PM
red64chevelle
Daniel Smith

Registry
Thanks for all the suggestions.

I already have a side mounted snorkel (bought it on this board probably two years ago). I thought about buying a right fender, but then I remembered I am cheap.

I thought about having the intake come in on the RH wing top, but thats where my air for my heater is coming from.

That paper template would be ideal. Other option is if Nathan or somebody else can trace out the hole, with relation to the edges of the fender wing. The hole itself shouldn't be too hard, the snorkel came with a gasket that would go between it and the fender.

Thanks again.
Old July 6th, 2014, 09:54 PM
Capt Milks
Mike
Defender V-8, Defender 2.25

The parts to connect up to the fender intake are available but can be a tad expensive. Do you have a stock air cleaner in the stock location? You can find the parts diagram on the web and see what parts would be needed to make it correct or at least close to stock.
If you have a snorkel kit just take the fender piece and make a cut out template. Once you have all the pieces together you will be able to figure out where you need to cut the fender.
Old July 6th, 2014, 10:37 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

delete

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old July 6th, 2014, 10:44 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Dan: Come up and trace the LHS one on my build.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Side vent.png
Views:	67
Size:	439.7 KB
ID:	98233  

Old July 7th, 2014, 06:43 AM
red64chevelle
Daniel Smith

Registry
I don't have the stock airbox yet, that is going to be something I throw up in the WTB section. I have the pipe that goes from the turbo inlet around the back of the engine. I was going to see if my 2.5 Petrol air filter could be adapted first.

Rocky, where are you located? I was thinking about asking John (in Hope Valley) if he has the side inlet, I can't remember from the last time I saw his truck.
Old July 7th, 2014, 10:23 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Pm sent

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
300tdi, tdi