300tdi p gasket naked or smear of silicone? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 15th, 2012, 07:54 AM
Broncoduecer
peter
D90

300tdi p gasket naked or smear of silicone?

Hi everyone,
So when I was taking out the temp sender to install a VDO sender the stock sensor broke off. So I had to remove the thermostat housing and water pump. I recall putting a smear of silicone on the gaskets of fords, but don't know if that still holds true for Rovers.

Anyone have a preference? I'm leaning towards nothing, but a lit smear wouldn't hurt I suppose. The p gasket I got is the updated metal rubber one. The thermostat housing is your regular paper type.

Thanks,
Pete
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 15th, 2012, 08:12 AM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Never use silicone for anything. Hate that schmidt. OK check that, it has one good use and this is the only one, which is to seal the corners of V8 intake manifolds. Otherwise it is the devil's spawn.
If you must smear something use hylomar on both sides of the paper gasket. Overkill, but what the heck.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old November 15th, 2012, 09:27 AM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
I don't share Bill's disdain for silicone, more so just the sight of gobs of it gooping out of every seam. I try to wipe off any excess and don't use too much because it wastes product and does tend to clog passages and so forth when pieces fall of inside an assembly.

That said, I used Hylomar for my P-gasket. Since it doesn't cure I think it is a little more tolerant of creep and differential expansion and contraction that cause these things to leak.

Putting it on dry is asking for trouble IMO

Quote:
Originally Posted by o2batsea View Post
Never use silicone for anything. Hate that schmidt. OK check that, it has one good use and this is the only one, which is to seal the corners of V8 intake manifolds. Otherwise it is the devil's spawn.
If you must smear something use hylomar on both sides of the paper gasket. Overkill, but what the heck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 15th, 2012, 11:47 AM
Broncoduecer
peter
D90

What type of Hylomar are people getting? Is it the same as the super black permatex product?
Old November 15th, 2012, 11:49 AM
Viton
Deaf Ember
Smart 4x4

Old school here, my Dad taught me just to smear grease on both sides.
Old November 15th, 2012, 12:47 PM
Broncoduecer
peter
D90

I read that alot on the uk forums. That also makes sense to me. Any leaks Dennis? Have you done your p gaspet or water pump?
Old November 15th, 2012, 12:54 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
I've got a p gasket hanging in the garage and the old one started dripping, so this gasket is on my short suspense to do list. I'd love to hear a verdict on the grease. I was planning on doubling down both sides with hylomar as I hate dealing with cooling leaks, but hate how much work it is to get that crap off again on the next change out.

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Old November 15th, 2012, 01:39 PM
Viton
Deaf Ember
Smart 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncoduecer View Post
I read that alot on the uk forums. That also makes sense to me. Any leaks Dennis? Have you done your p gaspet or water pump?
I haven't replaced the "P" gasket but I did replace the noisy water-pump, and I used grease there....no leaks. On old standard T-stat housings (ours uses a rubber seal on the 300Tdi's), I never had a problem using grease on those paper gaskets.
Old November 15th, 2012, 10:07 PM
navydevildoc
Neill Thornton
1984 D90 300 Tdi / 1965 Series IIA
Site Team

Registry
I used spray Hylomar on mine, never had a problem with it.
Old November 16th, 2012, 10:08 AM
Broncoduecer
peter
D90

The things they think of nowadays, I see someone in rapid city sells it on eBay.
Old November 16th, 2012, 11:15 AM
300tdi convert
Michael Giddinge
Late 80s 110 300tdi

Specific to the P gasket, I've had to replace mine twice in this engine. What I found after taking it apart the second time was that the raised groove in the metal gasket ended up not falling between the metal faces it was intended to seal, but on the edge of the water opening/path. My reaction was to just make sure that the new one aligned/sealed appropriately, but what I found was that I needed to take a hole file to one of the bolt holes in the gasket so it would shift slightly and better align the gasket. Seals fine now. Don't recall if it was sh*t part or not. This is the fourth time I've been involved in changing out a 300TDi P gasket, and first time I've run across it. Anyway, curious if anyone else has had a similar experience, and perhaps something to watch out for. May have just been a bad gasket, but two? That said, we often place large orders including multiple gasket sets, so may have been a pair in a bad batch. No idea.
Old November 20th, 2012, 12:03 AM
tdi-rick
Rick
'98 130CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300tdi convert View Post
Specific to the P gasket, I've had to replace mine twice in this engine. What I found after taking it apart the second time was that the raised groove in the metal gasket ended up not falling between the metal faces it was intended to seal, but on the edge of the water opening/path. My reaction was to just make sure that the new one aligned/sealed appropriately, but what I found was that I needed to take a hole file to one of the bolt holes in the gasket so it would shift slightly and better align the gasket. Seals fine now. Don't recall if it was sh*t part or not. This is the fourth time I've been involved in changing out a 300TDi P gasket, and first time I've run across it. Anyway, curious if anyone else has had a similar experience, and perhaps something to watch out for. May have just been a bad gasket, but two? That said, we often place large orders including multiple gasket sets, so may have been a pair in a bad batch. No idea.
Bloody good observation.

Metal P gasket leaks are the bane of my existence.

I have one that is coming apart over the next few weeks that is leaking as the timing belt is (over) due, so I'll check the alignment.

Cheers.
Old December 9th, 2012, 08:19 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
replaced mine today. It's a 2 beer job. took 2 hours to get the casing off from start.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2703699100.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	636.6 KB
ID:	62476   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4249382251.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	502.0 KB
ID:	62477  

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3873192895.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	555.9 KB
ID:	62478  

Old December 9th, 2012, 09:57 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Nice job. In response to the OP I smeared mine with Hylamar, and that was 2 years ago hasn't leaked a drop since...
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old December 9th, 2012, 11:41 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
Yeah, I used blue RTV on both sides. Not taking any chances.

Old December 10th, 2012, 06:29 AM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

I've replaced about 25 or more I'd guess and smear grease on the gasket and have yet to hear of one leaking. I think the first one was over 10yrs ago.
Not a big fan of silicone.......see plenty of silicone abuse and failure. It has it's uses I'd suppose, but not in my shop unless it is a specific product that is manufacturer recommended.

new expansion complete. Not only are we the only Rover shop in Eliot Maine...now we're also the biggest.

"Dedicated to the resurrection of junk through engineering?"
Old December 10th, 2012, 09:08 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
when I do use rtv I use the clear. I can't like the blue red or black when they can be seen- a sign you have used too much.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old December 10th, 2012, 09:11 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
I just used a very thin coat on both mating surfaces just enough to hold the gasket in place. I've misplaced my hylomar

Old December 11th, 2012, 06:37 AM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

One thing I have noted is that joints sealed with silicone will come apart fairly easily and cleaning the gasket off is not at all difficult (probably due to the leaking). Greased gaskets (oddly) seem to stick to aluminum with surprising tenacity and require a bit more grunt to disassemble and clean. This applies to parts that have been together for a while.

new expansion complete. Not only are we the only Rover shop in Eliot Maine...now we're also the biggest.

"Dedicated to the resurrection of junk through engineering?"
Old December 11th, 2012, 07:39 AM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by junkyddog11 View Post
One thing I have noted is that joints sealed with silicone will come apart fairly easily and cleaning the gasket off is not at all difficult (probably due to the leaking). Greased gaskets (oddly) seem to stick to aluminum with surprising tenacity and require a bit more grunt to disassemble and clean. This applies to parts that have been together for a while.
What about Hylomar, which is not silicone based?
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
300tdi, gas, tdi