300tdi oil change - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 7th, 2008, 04:35 PM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

300tdi oil change

Where are folks finding thier filters and what experiences are people having with different oil in their 300s?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 7th, 2008, 07:02 PM
moose
Brett
Ex-Mod Tdi 110 Hard Top

Registry
I am useing Quaker State QS8A oil filters on mine. I get them at Canadian Tire here in... you guessed it, Canada. Fram PH8A or equivalent will also do the trick. I am using Shell Rotella 10W40 and all is well.

Brett
Old July 7th, 2008, 08:53 PM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
The 300tdi filter is the same as the v8 filter. I get mine from RN.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 7th, 2008, 08:59 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
ditto on the shell rotella

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old July 7th, 2008, 10:05 PM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

And luckily I have a shelf full of v8 filters. Is the sequencing the same as the v8 (drain oil, refill oil, replace filter)?
Old July 8th, 2008, 08:03 AM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Yes. Or at least that is what I've been doing. Just make sure the rubber seal on the top of the old filter comes off when you remove it. Due to the postion of the filter tucked up on the side, I missed this once during a filter change and put the new one on. Luckily I caught it right away when I fired the engine back up.
Old July 8th, 2008, 09:19 AM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

Good data, thanks, Dave. I'm getting an oil pressure light at idle when the engine's at temperature (and yes, it's full of oil). My supposition is that it needs thicker oil in this climate -- are people finding that 10w40 is thick enough for the summer in these engines?

Many thanks
Old July 8th, 2008, 10:00 AM
moose
Brett
Ex-Mod Tdi 110 Hard Top

Registry
Having never owed the V8, why do you need to drain oil, refill and then change the filter? On my Tdi (and everything else I have owned) I have always drained the oil, changed the filter then refilled. Never had a problem.

Brett
Old July 8th, 2008, 10:13 AM
brn24whl
Eric
1994 RRC SWB

Registry
On a V8 if you drop the oil and the filter at the same time you have a chance of loosing the prime on the oil pump.

Eric
Direct Line 518-539-2231

If ordering on our online site please choose me as the sales rep. If placing a phone order please call me directly at the numbers above.

Old July 8th, 2008, 11:00 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
Wow, didn't know that. That was enlightening.
Old July 8th, 2008, 11:08 AM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
tony do you have an OP gauge? check the connections on the sender and gauge wiring too, I've head problems with that on other LR vehicles.

we could temporarily hook up a mechanical gauge (I have a few laying around) if you are worried.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abrooks
Good data, thanks, Dave. I'm getting an oil pressure light at idle when the engine's at temperature (and yes, it's full of oil). My supposition is that it needs thicker oil in this climate -- are people finding that 10w40 is thick enough for the summer in these engines?

Many thanks
Old July 8th, 2008, 11:21 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
I always have an extra oil pump gasket on hand for the v8 trucks. Re-priming is easy, but if you don't have the cheapo gasket around, you're down for a while waiting for it.

Old July 8th, 2008, 01:54 PM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ren Ching
tony do you have an OP gauge? check the connections on the sender and gauge wiring too, I've head problems with that on other LR vehicles.

we could temporarily hook up a mechanical gauge (I have a few laying around) if you are worried.
Thanks, Dave -- I'm going to change the oil first and see if that accomplishes anything.
Old July 8th, 2008, 02:20 PM
GYM
Gary
97 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by brn24whl
On a V8 if you drop the oil and the filter at the same time you have a chance of loosing the prime on the oil pump. Eric
Really? Is that a common problem? I've never had that issue on a V8 (Rover or otherwise).

I do always pre-fill the oil filter as full as possible, though... (but not so full that it spills all over the place when screwing it on).
Old July 8th, 2008, 05:29 PM
moose
Brett
Ex-Mod Tdi 110 Hard Top

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by brn24whl
On a V8 if you drop the oil and the filter at the same time you have a chance of loosing the prime on the oil pump.
Eric
So is this an issue with the 300Tdi as well? I changed the oil and filter when I installed the engine and again two weeks ago without problems. Have I been very lucky or is this drain, fill, change filter procedure not necessary with the Tdi?

Brett
Old July 8th, 2008, 06:45 PM
Cirbo
Jim C.
None

The pump is different on the Tdi. I would not suspect that it poses the same problem.
Old July 8th, 2008, 10:55 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Tony,

The Rover idiot light pressure senders are crap and cheap. Get a new one and install it when you change the oil. Had the same problem on a 3.9 and rebuilt the oil pump only to find out it was the warning light sensor.
Behaved just like yours.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old July 9th, 2008, 11:20 AM
brn24whl
Eric
1994 RRC SWB

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by GYM
Really? Is that a common problem? I've never had that issue on a V8 (Rover or otherwise).

I do always pre-fill the oil filter as full as possible, though... (but not so full that it spills all over the place when screwing it on).

I have never had the issue on my V8's even before I knew about the possibility of it happening. I have had a few customers that have had the issue.

Eric
Direct Line 518-539-2231

If ordering on our online site please choose me as the sales rep. If placing a phone order please call me directly at the numbers above.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
300tdi, tdi