300tdi no start stop solenoid clicks - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 1st, 2015, 07:43 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
I find you have to cut the olives off with a small hacksaw or jewelers saw. go slow and be careful not to hack the tubing too much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 4th, 2015, 11:17 PM
Broncoduecer
peter
D90

I installed the 12v fuel pump this evening and it did start on its own but after a lot of cranking. First I left it run for about a minute to get any potential air worked out. Cranking and it's not starting but then oddly it seemed to start when I was going from start to on/run. So I let it run for awhile seemed pretty similar to how it was running before so still running ok. Then I shut it down and went to start again and it had the same issues and no start. While it was running with the fuel pump running I observed no leaks or anything abnormal, so good news there.

Well problem figured out. i used the radio ignition powered wire to run my aux fuse block and ran a new wire to the radio from the aux fuse block. I also used this new ignition switched aux fuse block to supply the power for the stop solenoid. Turns out key on/run you have 12v but in the start position that radio wire goes to 0v....so essentially I've been trying to start it with no power to the stop solenoid. Deceiving because key on and you test the solenoid tests ok but who knew in start it was 0 when starting. So to test my theory I jumpered the stop solenoid directly, no 12v pump running, and it was like 1 rev and it started. So in the words of the late Michael Clarke Duncan from Slammin' Salmon, "you know what happens when you assume? You make an ass....outta yourself!" I confirmed with a multi meter that while at the start position my solenoid for my fuse block opens and goes to 0v. I assumed that once the key was on/run, start would also have the same things as run energized. That is not the case.

So awesome that it's figured out. I just need to now rethink my solenoid trigger. Now I have a sweet Holley fuel pump. Which is nice.

Thanks for the help everyone!
Pete
Old March 4th, 2015, 11:22 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Why are you not using the stock solenoid power feed from the ignition switch? It is designed to stay on during the start. Normal accessories turn off in order to ensure all the battery is available for the starter.

There are two switched contact on the ignition switch. One turns off while cranking and the other stays on.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 4th, 2015, 11:32 PM
Broncoduecer
peter
D90

Didn't know about that. Which one is that? You have brown constant, white, white/red, and white/orange? Is it just the white?
Old March 4th, 2015, 11:41 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
On my diagram.

Brown - power feed
White/black - feed for solenoid
White - accessories
White/red - starter solenoid.
Brown/red - glow plugs.

Do you have a diesel ignition switch?

Old March 4th, 2015, 11:52 PM
Broncoduecer
peter
D90

perhaps part of my NAS hybrid? I don't have all those wires at my ignition.
I did buy a new ignition switch for a 300tdi but the one I got never worked right and the back blew out of it. After I reassembled the switch it didn't seem to behave like it should. So I used the stock NAS ingnition switch. I seem to remember reading something a while back about someone asking about a tdi ignition switch versus the NAS.
Old March 5th, 2015, 12:02 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
The gas one should have lead for the coil power that should stay on while cranking.

Old March 5th, 2015, 02:21 PM
Viton
Deaf Ember
Smart 4x4

Looking at the picture in your 1st post of this thread Pete, have you tried closing the bonnet?
The height of the reservoirs on the passenger side look high, but maybe it's just me.
Old March 7th, 2015, 12:22 AM
Broncoduecer
peter
D90

I think it's an optical illusion. Or I hope so. I haven't put a hood on since the Install. I bought the proper tdi expansion tank and used existing holes in the wing.

I was able to find the coil wire in the existing body harness near the firewall. I also found the appropriate econoseal type connectors to use the firewall harness to use the coil wire to power the stop solenoid. And it turns out grab the battery light wire. That d+ wire.

Also I found the latch parts for the auto console from lrdirect.com. Pretty happy about that.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	109.2 KB
ID:	115447  

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
300tdi, start, tdi, top