300tdi No Fuel - Fuel Cutoff Solenoid - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 12th, 2011, 11:24 AM
Epsom_D2
Sean-Paul Ferrera
1994 D90 POE

Registry
300tdi No Fuel - Fuel Cutoff Solenoid

So my 300 isn't getting any fuel and I was wondering if anyone knew if there was a part number for the fuel cutoff solenoid (Rover Part #RTC6702) that I may be able to cross reference to a US parts catalog that the local auto parts store may have.

Thanks in advance,
S-P
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 12th, 2011, 02:18 PM
diesel_jim
Jamie Austin
1992 110 Td5 CSW & 1989 MB G-Wagen

Easy way to tell.... remove the spade connector/wire from it.

unscrew the solenoid (you may need to get the correct size spanner and grind the outer edges of it off so that it can fit in there) then remove the piston/plunger thing and the spring.

Refit it, and you should have permanent fuel supply. You'll have to stall it to stop the engine (or if its an auto, block off the air intake, but not with a rag! a mate of mine did this on a toyota hilux, and it sucked the rag in... as he had the air filter off at the time, the rag went straight up the inlet manifold and into the engine.... took him ages getting the head off and removing all the bits of rag!)
Old April 12th, 2011, 03:40 PM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond
110 200Tdi and a 2005 Scorpa SY250

Registry
With the ignition on you should hear the stop solenoid click as you apply/remove 12 volts to it. That way you can tell if the stop solenoid is good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 19th, 2011, 10:22 PM
Epsom_D2
Sean-Paul Ferrera
1994 D90 POE

Registry
Thanks guys. Turns out that I'm not getting sufficient voltage to the solenoid, I'm getting like .25 V. In my mind this is more likely just the meter reading error than anything real. I haven't been able to determine where the power wire is coming from as it goes into a larger wire loom which I have tried to follow, but keep losing as it goes behind the engine. I think it connects to the starter, but I cannot say for certain. I'd be grateful to anyone who can provide me with an idea where I should hunt for lead and where it connects as it is driving me quite crazy that I cannot solve a one wire problem.

diesel_jim, thanks, I will be taking your advice until I can solve the problem correctly.

Thanks again.
Old April 20th, 2011, 05:11 AM
TS888
Tony Sims
1984 110

Sean-Paul, Defender circuit diagrams are always a bit of a crap shoot, but as best I can tell -- the fuel cut-off solenoid is connected by a white wire that goes to a plug connector in the engine compartment near the bulkhead. It appears to be fed by a white/black wire direct from the ignition. Hard to sort if the circuit includes a fuse, but if it does it will be in the interior fuse box, not the one in the engine compartment. There is no direct connection to the starter.

Check fuses first. Then trace from the solenoid to the connector and check to see if you have power that far. It could be as simple as a corroded pin in the plug.
Originally Posted by chris snell
This is straight out of the Manual for Build Builders.
Tony
1984 110 "Smokey" (sold)
Old April 20th, 2011, 05:47 AM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond
110 200Tdi and a 2005 Scorpa SY250

Registry
Less messy and brutal than stalling the motor would be to run a 12v feed from the battery via a switch to the solenoid. Two advantages, you can see if the solenoid works ( clicking sound when applying/removing power and if the solenoid is good the truck will run and you'll be able to stop it with the flick of a switch.
Old April 21st, 2011, 01:42 PM
Epsom_D2
Sean-Paul Ferrera
1994 D90 POE

Registry
Well as it turns out my multimeter had low batteries when I original checked the voltage. I do have a full 12 volts at the solenoid. That being the case, I have pinpointed the solenoid as the problem. Now I have one last question, what size wrench should I be using the remove it. It appears to be a 23mm, but before I go purchasing more tools (not that I really mind) I'd like to make sure to have the right size.

Thank again for all the help.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
300tdi, fuel, tdi