300TDI new injectors - smoking like mad - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 30th, 2011, 08:33 PM
jaherring
Jason Herring
94 D90 ST #1253

300TDI new injectors - smoking like mad

I just installed a new set of injectors:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...253D&viewitem=

..and the truck is smoking like mad - bluish smoke (bear in mind I run 80% biodiesel). It started right up but when I rev it it seems to falter a bit. Do I have to adjust the timing with the new injectors installed? Or could there be something wrong with them?

On a side note I snapped off one of the hollow return line bolts, so temporarily I bypassed that cylinder's return just to see how it ran. I don't suppose this could be causing any problem aside from a mess under the hood....(though no fuel seems to be coming out of that injector's return at the moment with the snapped-off bolt shaft protruding from it).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 1st, 2011, 08:45 AM
Capt Milks
Mike
Defender V-8, Defender 2.25

When you changed the injectors did you replace the brass washers at the base if the injector? Did you also make sure that you got all of the old ones out. I would try to correct the broken part first just to make sure that yo are not getting air in the system. If that does not fix it then I might pull the injectors and take them to a shop and have them tested.
Old May 1st, 2011, 09:07 PM
jaherring
Jason Herring
94 D90 ST #1253

I did replace the copper crush gaskets - the old ones came out with the old injectors (though I suppose there could be a second one down in there because one injector came out with two old crush gaskets on it - but it ran OK w/o smoking like that ). Of course that little hollow bolt is special order so I have to wait to get it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 1st, 2011, 10:27 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
j, have extra bolts, could stick one in the post for you if that would save you time.

PM me if you need it

-----

I would also crack the flare nuts at the top of the injectors one at a time to see if there is any difference, the might be air trapped in there. Also it might help pinpoint the problem if it is isolated to one cylinder.
Old May 2nd, 2011, 11:58 AM
jaherring
Jason Herring
94 D90 ST #1253

New spill line bolt on the way, thanks for the offer Ren.

I'll fit that and see if it solves any of the smoking issue or if there's something else going on.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
300tdi, tdi