300TDi lift pump R/R help - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old March 20th, 2016, 03:24 PM
1995 Discovery
300TDi lift pump R/R help

Increased ticking sounds and possible (could be in my head too) loss of power once engine is warm led me to decide to just swap out the lift pump just to see.

Yes, it should be a 10 min job. After about 30 min of cursing, unable to get the socket on the right hand 13 mm bolt holding the current pump on, I realize that whoever rebuilt my engine used the wrong bolts--these should be 10mm cap head bolts, right? (because of the way the primer/operating lever shaft protrudes from the right side of the pump, a normal 13mm socket will not fit on the right bolt)

I think the engine rebuilder just used 13mm regular head bolts, which are undoubtedly totally fine for putting the lift pump on when, say, there's NOTHING ELSE ON THE ENGINE, but not so awesome for easy lift pump removal once the injector pump bracket, oil filter, and everything else are in the way, making open ended wrench use impossible (as far as I could tell).

If I were to find a _very_ thin-walled 13mm socket, it might work. Can anyone think of any other way to get this off without pulling the injection pump/timing cover/injection pump bracket? Or a source for unusually thin-walled sockets? A search of the interwebs revealed only thin walled 1/2" drive impact sockets. . . .

Thanks in advance.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

300tdi, tdi