300Tdi Issue - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 10th, 2008, 02:56 AM
Panama Disco
Peter
98' Defender 90 300 Tdi

300Tdi Issue

A couple of days ago i was driving to get a pizza i stopped at the pizza place left the car running with a friend inside, came back and as soon as i shift to 1st gear the engine started to sound different than before by that i mean louder and kind of like a tractor, imideatly felt a lost of power so i drove back home parked the car I pop up the hood and found out i was leaking diesel, yes the fuel lift pump was damage, why, ill never know. So I installed a new one (LR original) i don't have the leak anymore but the engine stills sounds funny, it sounds louder than before and different specially during high revs and i feel that i need to get higher revs than before to change gears its sound like the engine is working harder and louder i also notice a little bit of more black smoke ,while shifting gears, than usual. I drive my D90 daily and is just not the same as before the lift pump got damaged, the loud/strange sound of the engine is making me crazy and as i said before louder during high rev.

What to do? Fuel problem? Air problem?

Any suggestions on what/where to check?

Peter
One Ocean, One Famliy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 10th, 2008, 09:09 AM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Did you check the intercooler hoses for any leaks? I experienced the same when I had a clamp release allowing the hose to develop a gap near the turbo.
Old October 10th, 2008, 06:26 PM
Gren_T
Gren Thomas
1985 90 300tdi auto

hi Peter try bleeding the fuel system as you may have an airlock on one of the injectors, also worth checking the intercooler hoses are not loose or starting to collapse internally, but it is most prob an airlock.

worth checking you have fuel coming from the fuel return line on the injectors when the fuel pump is primed and when the engine is running.

have fun

Gren
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 10th, 2008, 08:14 PM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

Better change the oil and then do a compression check. Did the fuel leak into the engine oil? Have you been driving it with diesel fuel in the engine oil?

Advice is only as good as the person applying it--
Don't make me give you bad advice!

Lemons or lemonaide, whatever your taste provides.
Old October 11th, 2008, 05:08 PM
Panama Disco
Peter
98' Defender 90 300 Tdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarchand
Did you check the intercooler hoses for any leaks? I experienced the same when I had a clamp release allowing the hose to develop a gap near the turbo.
Yes i did and it looks fine to me. Bu I will check them again. thanks.

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gren_T
hi Peter try bleeding the fuel system as you may have an airlock on one of the injectors, also worth checking the intercooler hoses are not loose or starting to collapse internally, but it is most prob an airlock.

worth checking you have fuel coming from the fuel return line on the injectors when the fuel pump is primed and when the engine is running.

have fun

Gren
Hey Gren, forgive me by asking this, but how do I bleed the fuel system? are you referring to the Fuel filter fuel lift pump? I will check the fuel lines. Thanks for the tips.

Peter

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pendy
Better change the oil and then do a compression check. Did the fuel leak into the engine oil? Have you been driving it with diesel fuel in the engine oil?
I changed to oil 2 months or so ago, and I don't think the fuel leak into the engine oil but i will check as well. Regarding the compression i think its running good, the truck starts right away with out hesitation but it doesn't hurt to check. thanks,

Peter
One Ocean, One Famliy
Old October 12th, 2008, 06:35 PM
Gren_T
Gren Thomas
1985 90 300tdi auto

hi peter i'll grub up the manual for you .. save me mashing the keys.

regards
Old October 12th, 2008, 10:29 PM
JFD
Julien Dalbin
05 Tdi 90

Peter, check your valves clearances, who knows.

Suerte
Old October 14th, 2008, 11:02 AM
Gren_T
Gren Thomas
1985 90 300tdi auto

HI Peter if you still have problems pm me your email addy and i'll mail you a 7.5 Mb pdf of the workshop manual for the def300.

regards

Gren
Old November 2nd, 2008, 04:43 PM
Panama Disco
Peter
98' Defender 90 300 Tdi

Well I found the problem it was the Fuel Sedimentor. I clean all the parts from the sedimentor and the noise change immediately and go the power back althogh it has less of the noise than before i can still hear it a bit louder and I still have more black smoke than usual. I think i might need to clean the injectors or better buy new ones, rovers down south have them for $144each not bad if you compare it with the price from the dealer here in Panama more than $220 each. The truck has 178,345 Km. And i bought it used 1 year ago with 155,000 km. So it might not hurt. Or it could be an issue with the fuel injection pump. ???
One Ocean, One Famliy

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
300tdi, tdi