300Tdi into an Ex-Mod 110 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 26th, 2007, 12:23 AM
moose
Brett
Ex-Mod Tdi 110 Hard Top

Registry
300Tdi into an Ex-Mod 110

Hello all.

I have an Ex-Mod 110 with the 2.5 NA diesel and an R380 gearbox. I also have a 300 Tdi I hope to install soon.

My gearbox has the shorter bell housing and I am wondering if anyone that may have done this conversion knows what problems I may run into installing the Tdi into my 110 using this gearbox. Will the back of the engine clear the bulk head and will there be any clearance issues with teh steering (LHD)?

I realize the engine will be sitting several inches rearwards so I will need to lengthen the coolant, inter cooler and oil cooler hoses and deal with the exhaust, but is there anything else I will need to address? I concidered converting my gearbox to the longer bell housing and shaft but have not found the parts or anyone local that could do the swap. I understand there are some special tools needed to work on the R380 so that seems to rule out attempting it at home.

My 300 came out of a '97 110 and was replaced by an international 2.8 because the owner needed the addional power. Unfortuanately for me, some of the bits off my engine were used in the swap to the 2.8. I have sourced some of the parts but am still looking for more, most notably the engine mounts/brackets that bolt to the block. Anyone know where I might be able to find a pair of these in Norht America?

Any and all info greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Brett
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 26th, 2007, 08:57 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
George at RDS will probably have all that stuff in stock. I dont thing moving the motor back is advisable - I've heard of the trans being mounted forward, then changing the lengths of the driveshafts, but the guy even regretted doing that. You just start chasing custom parts and it becomes a hassle. If you want, Rob Dassler (roadsiderob) could easily change the input shaft on your trans, you'd just have to ship it...
Old May 26th, 2007, 12:45 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

I did almost the exact same thing. I swapped a 300 into a D90 ex mod LHD. There is no problem with mounting the engine farther back. I had to go about 2in to clear the passenger seat box. You don't even need any extra parts. The hoses all fit with a slight bend, and are slightly tighter.

After talking with George, he convinced me to get a new R380 and sold me the whole unit. So I don't have any experience with transferring over the 300 belhousing. In fact, I had a LT77 or something like that. It is a very easy swap all said. Good luck.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 26th, 2007, 09:32 PM
moose
Brett
Ex-Mod Tdi 110 Hard Top

Registry
I don't actually plan on moving the engine back, but will install it into the same location that the 2.5 NA is coming out of. For some reason Land Rover mated this engine to the R380 with a shorter bell housing so the lump sit further back in the engine compartment.

If the 300 is the same size as the 2.5 NA then I shouldn't have too much trouble, I was just concerned that the turbo may foul something. I do know from pictures I have seen that some hoses run around the rear of the engine near the bulkhead and I don't think they are going to fit in my conversion.

If some one could measure the length of the longer bell housing on an R380 mated to a Tdi then I could compair it to my shorter one and see just exactly how much farther back the engine will be mounted. For some reason I am thinking eight inches, though I am not sure where that number comes from, and I don't think the hoses will stretch that far.

Thanks.
Brett
Old May 26th, 2007, 11:10 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
It will fit and has been done before. It is tight if it is LHD due to the turbo position and exhaust routing, easier if RHD. A 200TDI is a much easier swap as there are zero mods.
Old May 27th, 2007, 12:37 PM
D90user
steve
109/110 ambulance-55 series I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckon37s
I did almost the exact same thing. I swapped a 300 into a D90 ex mod LHD. There is no problem with mounting the engine farther back. I had to go about 2in to clear the passenger seat box. You don't even need any extra parts. The hoses all fit with a slight bend, and are slightly tighter.
x2
It is actually nice to have the extra 2in up front.

Any definatly give Rob a call re: the bell housing and tranny, he is the Man.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
110, 300tdi, mod, tdi