300tdi idle speed adjustment - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 4th, 2011, 01:10 AM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

300tdi idle speed adjustment

I followed the workshop manual instructions to adjust the idle speed but I'm not sure I'm adjusting the right screw. I have a sneaky suspicion that I just adjusted the upper throttle limit which is not good. Since the wrong adjustment can lead to engine failure, can someone confirm I have the right screw? It's the long threaded rod with a stop nut and a slotted end. The stop nut had a black plastic cap that I had to break to remove. I'm starting to wonder this cap was there to stop amateurs like me from messing with it? Google was of no help.
Advertisement

Old July 4th, 2011, 09:40 AM
navydevildoc
Neill Thornton
1984 D90 300 Tdi / 1965 Series IIA
Site Team

Registry
You talking about the back of the injector pump? That is most likely the max load fuel amount screw, the one that turning just a quarter of a turn increases power and black smoke.

See this diagram, it might be helpful:

http://dodgeram.org/tech/dsl/more_po...djustments.jpg
Old July 4th, 2011, 10:04 AM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Not the smoke screw. I adjusted what is called "idle speed screw" in that diagram you sent. I just don't see how that controls the lower limit. Shouldn't I be lengthening the throttle cable instead?
Advertisement

Old July 4th, 2011, 11:28 AM
navydevildoc
Neill Thornton
1984 D90 300 Tdi / 1965 Series IIA
Site Team

Registry
Don't know to be honest, my idle has always been good so I haven't messed with it.
Old July 4th, 2011, 11:33 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Perhaps you should download and read the factory workshop manual.....

Section 19, page 2. There is a clear picture.
Old July 4th, 2011, 12:03 PM
Viton
Deaf Ember
Smart 4x4

The maximum rpm limiter is internal to the injection pump (IP) and can not be adjusted, so you can't over rpm the engine by way of giving the engine too much fuel via the IP. Internal to the IP is a weighted device that is regulated by by the speed of centrifugal force or speed. It is most commonly known as a governor.

(Side note, it would be possible to over "rev" the engine going down hill, with the drive train determining the the engines rpm's). That destructive top rpm speed would probably be well over 5,000.

Work the pump arm with your hand, as to mimic the pull of the throttle cable, and observe which "screw" the arm rests on when it returns to stop. This will be the idle adjustment setting "screw". The idle should be set to about 750 rpm's.
Old July 4th, 2011, 04:49 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Thanks for the helpful suggestion. I have it. That's what I was looking at. The picture nor description makes it clear that there are two adjustment screws; one on either side of the pump. One for upper idle stop and the one underneath, that you can't see, for the lower stop. So I figured it out and now have it set to 720.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90
Perhaps you should download and read the factory workshop manual.....

Section 19, page 2. There is a clear picture.
------ Follow up post added July 4th, 2011 04:03 PM ------

That's the kind of helpful advice I was looking for. Thanks Dennis. Since the manual didn't make it clear I ended up adjusting the upper limit screw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis
Work the pump arm with your hand, as to mimic the pull of the throttle cable, and observe which "screw" the arm rests on when it returns to stop. This will be the idle adjustment setting "screw". The idle should be set to about 750 rpm's.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
300tdi, idle, tdi