300Tdi Giving me Grief - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old June 13th, 2008, 05:31 PM
moose
Brett
Ex-Mod Tdi 110 Hard Top

Registry
300Tdi Giving me Grief

My 110 seems to have developed a bit of a problem. Newly installed 300Tdi has been fine for the last 1500 km or so. Two days ago traveling along the highway at about 65 mph, if I pressed down on the accelerator peddle, I noticed what seemed like some one was taking little stabs at the brake peddle. The truck slowed for just half a second then carried on. It would happen every four or five seconds as long as I was trying to accelerate. It was windy and I thought at first I was hitting little gusts of wind, that were slowing me down. But it was only happening if I tried to accelerate. Maintaining a steady speed at or below 60 mph was fine. I didn't notice any real change in engine note as this was happening.

Fast forward to today and it is still doing the same thing. But towards the end of my journey on the highway, the truck would not accelerate at times from 60 mph. Then it would. Off the highway and near home, it started to act up in the lower gears at slower speeds, but seemed to miss a bit as I tried to accel after shifting up.

Any ideas what I should be looking at???? I'm thinking maybe a fuel problem? I installed a brand new fuel pump when the engine went in though. Of course it wasn't genuine so I suppose the quality could be suspect. Not familiar enough yet with this engine (or diesels) to think what could be ailing it.

Any thoughts most welcome.
Brett
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 13th, 2008, 05:34 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
check the lift pump and the fuel filters first
Old June 13th, 2008, 06:03 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
fuel filter, when you change them add a splash of ATF when you reprime the pump.
Advertisement

Old June 13th, 2008, 06:30 PM
moose
Brett
Ex-Mod Tdi 110 Hard Top

Registry
New fuel filter too at the time the engine went in. The truck was running well right up till the engine swap so the filter shouldn't be stuffed up with crud. New fuel lines at the same time. But, they are cheap enough, so no harm in swapping it out. Of course, no where local to get a filter.

What would the splash of ATF do? Lubrication?

Brett
Old June 14th, 2008, 09:27 AM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

Better drop the fuel tank and see what is going on. Look for it sucking air from somewhere in the fuel system as well.

Advice is only as good as the person applying it--
Don't make me give you bad advice!

Lemons or lemonaide, whatever your taste provides.
Old June 14th, 2008, 05:13 PM
moose
Brett
Ex-Mod Tdi 110 Hard Top

Registry
Well, I took apart the sedimentor at the back beside the fuel tank. Nice layer of crud on the bottom. Found a loose hose clamp on the fuel line going into the pump. Nothing leaking out but may have been loose enough to draw some air in. Checked the priming lever on the fuel pump. It had resistance, so hopefully it is sound. The turbo hoses appear fine inside and out.

Took the truck for a run on the highway and flogged it up to 75 mph. Backed it down to 60 a couple time and accelerated again and all seems well now with the truck pulling well and no reappearance of the earlier symptoms, so I must have hit on something.

Thanks for the suggestion.
Brett

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
300tdi, tdi, vin