300tdi fun - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 14th, 2007, 11:40 AM
sommer_90
Jeff Sommer
1994 Defender 90

300tdi fun

So, I finally finished my boost gauge and EGT install thanks to Mike for the great VDO write up with the defender radio insert box.

Then I went to work on my Bosch fuel pump. I did one turn on the smoke screw, ¼ turn on the diaphragm, ¼ turn on the starwheel, and a full turn on the max power screw.

WOW. I should have done this before. Very very little smoke at part throttle acc. And a nice light cloud at full throttle. What a big difference.

My EGT’s stay low, never been over 700F. Since I live in a very flat area (Chicago) there are no big hill climbs to test on. The VDO egt gauge does not react very quickly so it might have been a little higher for a second.

My max boost is around 17psi, so I left that alone. One thing I have noticed it that my boost gauge never reads a vacuum like my other cars when I am coasting.

Are all diesels this way?

Anyway. just curious so see where other people have set their pumps to and what the results are. All the treads I have read never really talk about what setting were used just guide lines.

Cheers and thanks to this great forum for sharing all this info.

Is the yahoo tdi forum still active? I did not get a response a couple of months ago when I tried to join.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 15th, 2007, 12:05 PM
diesel_jim
Jamie Austin
1992 110 Td5 CSW & 1989 MB G-Wagen

I had my Tdi wound up to 24psi for a while! (with a large allisport intercooler), went like stink!

but i reduced it for engine longevity. currently building a Td5 which will be chipped.

Yes, the yahoo Tdi group is still there... not very active though, it's really dead, as is the D90 one.
Old November 15th, 2007, 12:57 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
Where did you mount your EGT sensor on the engine? I have a 2.8 and intend to do the same, but not sure of mounting. What kind of variability do you get from adjustments to the pump? can you swing economy vs power by adjusting? If so, to what degree?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 15th, 2007, 04:18 PM
sommer_90
Jeff Sommer
1994 Defender 90

On the 300tdi there is a plate on the turbo manifold for the EGR

you can see the plate in this picture it is held on by two bolts.

I removed the plate drilled a hole and then welded the bung directly to the plate. My cheap mig welder made a messy but strong bead.

As for changes in economy? I do not know what my mileage is yet on this tank of fuel but I assume that it will be worse mostly because I cannot seem to keep my foot out of it and smiling as I drive around. I think that once I calm down the mileage would have a minimal decrease but only dependant on how I drive. I usually get around 21-22 mpg with 35 SSR’s and a loaded up truck. It is nice to know the power is there now if I want to make a pass.
Attached Images

Old November 16th, 2007, 10:59 AM
budz
sal gorriceta
various rovers

turbo timer is also a good investment.
Old November 17th, 2007, 08:19 AM
Cirbo
Jim C.
None

Turbo timer??
Old November 17th, 2007, 09:26 AM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

Turbo timers keep the engine running for a set amt. of time at idle after you get out then shut it down. It allows the turbos to cool down more gradually and increases the life expectancy of them considerably. They are very common with the civic et al. crowd.

Here is HKS' website info.
Old November 17th, 2007, 09:29 AM
Epsom_D2
Sean-Paul Ferrera
1994 D90 POE

Registry
A turbo timer keeps the engine running, after the key has been removed, for a user set amount of time to allow oil to circulate through the turbo. This allows proper cooling and increases turbo longevity. It's very important when you are running higher than stock boost.
Old November 18th, 2007, 09:30 PM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

The only ones worth getting are the ones that run based on EGT temp from your EGT gauge - not a set time. It's advisable to use not just for boosted trucks. My EGT's often are at 600 when I'm ready to turn the igntion off and I wait until I hit 400-425 before doing so. That's pre-turbo temps on a 300Tdi. It can take two minutes to cool down to this safe level.

I've got an ISSPRO EGT gauge and bought this timer to install real soon now):

http://www.xtremediesel.com/index.as...ROD&ProdID=848

It's a BD Diesel Performance Cool Down Timer. It's sometimes sold on Ebay for much less than new.
Old November 18th, 2007, 10:44 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

You guys are nuts.

The only rule I follow is to shut it down when I'm upside down. Other than that, these little engines just keep going. Just keep oil in there and the EGT's under 1250 and your fine.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old November 19th, 2007, 01:11 PM
sommer_90
Jeff Sommer
1994 Defender 90

Yeah my turbo timer is my foot.

I stay away from flooring it for the last mile or two on the way home, and cools everthing right down. I never liked the idea of the vehical still running as I leave, especally with a ST and unlocked doors.
Old November 19th, 2007, 01:28 PM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

It has security features like a remote starter. Typically, press the brake before inserting the ignition key and it shuts off.

Or just move to a safer place.
Old November 20th, 2007, 07:32 AM
Cirbo
Jim C.
None

Ah... thanks guys. I never shut mine down until I see temps below 500. As Jeff said, I usually coast for the last mile or so, but sometimes that doesn't work out.
Old November 20th, 2007, 08:06 AM
Cube II
Michele
1997 D90

Registry
My fuel pump is untouched but you guys make me want an EGT gauge right now...

+109" IIA ex-military

Sketches and doodles:

[O]===[O]
Old November 20th, 2007, 09:17 AM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

Mandatory. Even in stock form I was hitting 1100-F. The downside is that you find yourself looking at it more than you need to - at least I do.

Search for my post on an ISSPRO gauge I use. It has an amplifier and with one wire you can attach it to a timer.
Old November 20th, 2007, 10:56 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
IME, there is never a need. The time required to slow down and park is adequate. The EGTs change very quickly on overrun.

I suspect that many people have EGT probes that are slow reacting and they simply see the slow reaction of the instrument. Many of the "kits" use 1/4" probes, which are too large to follow the dynamics of the system.

If you are fiddling with the pumps and turbos, as a minimum (IMO) you should be using a 1/8" TC with a gauge that records the maximum temps. You should be watching the road and not the gauge.......
Old November 20th, 2007, 11:10 AM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

The mandatory need I mentioned was for the EGT gauge, not the timer.

Yes, on overrun from high levels, EGT's drop fast but not when idling. You can easily get a 100-150-degree drop seconds after letting off the gas, from, say, a peak of 900-1100.

However, the drop is not as drastic from lower peaks. Certainly, from 550, driving, to 450, idling, it can take 30-45 seconds.

Of course, when you install the new gauge you tend to look at it more but after a while it should be no different than checking your speed. I still can't help myself from looking at it on just about any decent hill.
Old November 20th, 2007, 12:39 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
I monitor the EGT gauge because it appears to be directly proportional to fuel mileage - I try to keep the temps low so that I can average 25+ MPG.
Old November 20th, 2007, 01:36 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Yes, idling takes awhile to cool, however, I can't quite figure out how someone can go from full power to idle without overrun.

With a high response gauge, you'll see that on overrun it cools very fast (5 to 10 seconds) to below 150 C from any temperature.
Old November 20th, 2007, 02:26 PM
Retrofit
Pat
1984 110 CrewCab 200Tdi

Well ...

Just as a comparison, even if it is not that close in relating to TDIs, on piston aircrafts that have turbos to compensate for altitude, they usually ask for a 3 minutes cool down after landing and that is it. As for temps, these things get really hot (glow in the dark red hot) but they really drop after 90 seconds or so. They don't have any of the fancy coolers and cost about 10X as much as your Rover turbo. They last for a very long time and on overhaul, they still give close to new performance.

My .02 $

Pat

Kirk Lazarus, Tropic Thunder

color="Red">CanadaOverland.com

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
300tdi, tdi