300tdi fun - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 20th, 2007, 07:44 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
how many of you Tdi guys are running straight pipes?
Advertisement

Old November 20th, 2007, 08:17 PM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover4x4
how many of you Tdi guys are running straight pipes?
I've tried really hard but can't seem to get the damn thing to fit without putting a few bends in it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
new expansion complete. Not only are we the only Rover shop in Eliot Maine...now we're also the biggest.

"Dedicated to the resurrection of junk through engineering?"
Old November 20th, 2007, 08:25 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
not literally. seems like a 3" off the turbo with no muffler would sound pretty good.
Advertisement

Old November 20th, 2007, 11:45 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
not literally. seems like a 3" off the turbo with no muffler would sound pretty good.
I have been for years. It does have one bend though.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old November 21st, 2007, 10:13 PM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

Quote:
yes, it will sound good (if really loud is good).

Seems like most get over it sooner or later especially if you drive much ....and put at least a small muffler of sorts, resonator, (cherry bomb works well).

new expansion complete. Not only are we the only Rover shop in Eliot Maine...now we're also the biggest.

Old November 22nd, 2007, 11:44 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkyddog11
yes, it will sound good (if really loud is good).

Seems like most get over it sooner or later especially if you drive much ....and put at least a small muffler of sorts, resonator, (cherry bomb works well).

It's is really not very loud at all. Maybe 10-15% louder than a full muffler. Runs much better too.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old November 26th, 2007, 06:48 AM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckon37s
It's is really not very loud at all. Maybe 10-15% louder than a full muffler. Runs much better too.
Well....yup, your right it isn't that loud and I run mine like that (straight that is). Wasn't the point I was making, or intending.

My comment refers to the trend I've noticed with customers who all want that narly straight pipe sound until they've driven it for a while....on the road....highway....and they feel the need to tone it down a little. We've done some fairly quiet, very fast diesels.

Also found that for stock motor performance a full on straight pipe does nothing for perceptable performance whatsoever compared to say an NRP stainless system with two resonators. How this compares to a standard Rover system I have no idea as I've never used one.

Once you start playing with the IP then you should think about modifying the exhaust.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
300tdi, tdi