300Tdi exhaust manifold problems - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 25th, 2009, 07:17 PM
crown14
Verticalscrote
Volkswagen Super Beetle
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
300Tdi exhaust manifold problems

So FINALLY getting around to installing the uprated and rebuilt turbo I got from allard turbosport and I keep hitting little snags in the project. First it was finding my intake manifold all gummed up and trying to clean it out, then realizing they didn't send all the required parts, then I find the fitting on the turbo is loose and I start to question wether or not I have spent my money wisely. I am sure some of you know that feeling right? Well I get over that little spot and then decide I will maybe ceramic coat the exhaust manifold (the turbo came installed in what looked like a new manifold) while its all apart. Pull the turbo today and find this mess.

So I pulled the old turbo from the old manifold for comparison.

Well cracks dont get better, they get worse so I dont want to use either of these. Looks now like I will be needing to source a brand new manifold and ceramic coat that one. Yay.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 25th, 2009, 07:55 PM
nikojo
John
D90 SW -- 2.8PS

I feel you're pain!!! Did you have the turbo on and running at a point or did it come like that?? WTF?!?!
Old May 25th, 2009, 08:20 PM
crown14
Verticalscrote
Volkswagen Super Beetle
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Have not installed yet, this is fresh out of the box. I am in the midst of contacting allisport/allard turbosport as we speak.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 25th, 2009, 11:54 PM
discotdi
Todd Miller
Land Rover

does not look as if Allard reconditioned the "new" turbo too well. Looks like it has the signs of being cracked the same place your old one is. The mating surface on the bolt holes don't look too smooth either. that is a shame, especially since you will have to send it all the way to the UK. good luck with the exchange. I am sure you will let us know how it goes for future reference.
Old May 26th, 2009, 03:49 AM
diesel_jim
Jamie Austin
1992 110 Td5 CSW & 1989 MB G-Wagen

FWIW i've had several 300 manifold/turbos apart, and almost every one has had cracks in it, but they seem to still run OK.

Not what you want to be buying though.
Old May 26th, 2009, 07:09 AM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by crown14
Have not installed yet, this is fresh out of the box. I am in the midst of contacting allisport/allard turbosport as we speak.
which is it...Allisport or Allard?

for what it's worth I have a few manifolds and they are all cracked as is the manifold I am running currently. I wonder if the ceramic coating will help? Perhaps help the heat dissipate more evenly?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
new expansion complete. Not only are we the only Rover shop in Eliot Maine...now we're also the biggest.

"Dedicated to the resurrection of junk through engineering?"
Old July 7th, 2009, 07:13 PM
crown14
Verticalscrote
Volkswagen Super Beetle
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Its Allard aka Allard Turbosport aka Allard Aluminum Products.

I am no engineer, but the ceramic coating would "hold the heat in" so that it would travel down the exhaust system more efficiently instead of heat soaking the manifold so bad. I have heard it is a nice benefit to a turbo, but I am going to skip it for now and test some special paint on the exhaust housing and elbows. Later on if I decide to dress things up I can easily pull the whole thing again and have them ceramic coated.

It took a month to get it, but Allard sent me another turbo exhaust housing, thankfully it looks new and not cracked this time. However after not sending them at all in the beginning, then sending me two rather poor looking pairs they still cannot get me decent water line fittings. So even after paying a good bit extra for the "360 degree water cooled thrust bearing uprated turbo" I decided I am not waiting any longer and have made some nice plugs for those holes on the turbo. I had to make my own oil discharge line gasket but that wasn't hard. In all I got the biggest intercooler they would sell me (built to my application I believe) the special turbo, all the piping and couplers, and a couple other flashy things to go under the hood. Not one single bit of the 5 or 6 products came with any instructions, guidance, or even an 'hint sheet". I suspect this is because my oddball application and they honestly wouldn't have any idea what to instruct me on, but they haven't said. Just so anyone knows, do not expect a plug and play "kit" from them if you are considering using Allard for your 200/300 TDI upgrades. Anyhow I have it all just about figured out now and may have it up and running again soon. Should make quite a difference, especially the front mount.

Follow-up Post:

teaser
Attached Images

Old July 7th, 2009, 07:27 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
you need some air in your tires.
Old July 7th, 2009, 08:35 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

It would be really cool if you dyno'ed your engine after all that to see what the real deal is on the upgrades. Good for you for doing all that!

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old July 7th, 2009, 09:38 PM
Retrofit
Pat
1984 110 CrewCab 200Tdi

Cracks ...

Cracks at the waste gate seems to be very common on small turbos, that is what I was told by the rebuilding shop here in Quebec City that is supposed to be one of the best in the country. I was also told that it has very little to no ill effect on its performance and that those cracks usually form very early in the turbo's life and once done will not get larger.

The reason I found out was when I took my turbo to be rebuilt I saw it and was thinking of buying a new one so the questions were asked ...

I would also like to see that on a Dyno ! I have a larger intercooler and played with my pump and boost pressure and I have to say that it lowers your temps allot but to say that your truck will never drive the same I have my doubts. The best mod up to now is the EGT.

My .02

Pat

Kirk Lazarus, Tropic Thunder

color="Red">CanadaOverland.com
Old July 8th, 2009, 08:54 AM
crown14
Verticalscrote
Volkswagen Super Beetle
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Some of my buddies have dealt with more turbos than I have, they said the cracks where the turbo mounts were from overtightening the 4 bolts that hold it onto the exh. housing.
All in all I was probably overconcerned with the cracks but my feelings were I paid enough to deserve a good exhaust housing. When I have it all working I will dig out my invoices but for now I am kinda trying to forget the amounts.
Old July 8th, 2009, 10:53 AM
discotdi
Todd Miller
Land Rover

Joel did you buy the variable vane turbo kit from Allisport? Saw it advertised in LRO magazine.
Old July 8th, 2009, 11:38 AM
crown14
Verticalscrote
Volkswagen Super Beetle
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I wanted that one, they didn't want to sell it. I think they prefer to install that one themselves in house.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
300tdi, exhaust, problems, tdi