300tdi electric fans - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 16th, 2010, 10:50 AM
D90user
steve
109/110 ambulance-55 series I

300tdi electric fans

Who is running them and what do you think?

How have you set up the fan(s) so it covers the intercooler?

My fan clutch it toast and I'm thinking of going this route instead of shelling out the doe what always seems to become an expensive paperweight.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 16th, 2010, 11:59 AM
defeyago
Santiago
96 Defender 110 VGTdi SW County

Registry
300 tdis fan clutch Its about 100 bucks (or less) around here. We get it everywhere because of Maxions Tdi that are all over the place here. Plus 1980s and 90s 6 cylinders Ford Falcon also use it around here. Basically the same 1960s Falcon of yours but we kept building it till 1991!!! I dont know how much does this clutch cost up there but if you want I can quote for shipping you one.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ford-Falcon.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	27632   Click image for larger version

Name:	82_princ.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	17.6 KB
ID:	27635  

Name:	Modelo90_03.jpg
Views:	698
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	27636  
Attached Images

04 Freelander Td4 5 dr.
97 Alfa Romeo 146 TD (Sold)
95 Volvo 850 GLT Estate
94 Discovery Tdi (Webasto equipped)
Old May 16th, 2010, 12:21 PM
JFD
Julien Dalbin
05 Tdi 90

Steve, i think there is a long thread on this particular matter, like electric vs clutch fan or something like that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 16th, 2010, 12:25 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by D90user View Post
Who is running them and what do you think?

How have you set up the fan(s) so it covers the intercooler?

My fan clutch it toast and I'm thinking of going this route instead of shelling out the doe what always seems to become an expensive paperweight.
I have a 16in electric on the main radiator and a 9in electric on the intercooler. I did the intercooler after driving it for a while and notice no difference at all on the smaller fan. The 16in fan is 2500 CFM and awesome. Will not let the water get over 190 no matter what I am doing to it. I think it is a great upgrade but fitting the 16in took some trimming to the top and bottom of the radiator surround. Getting rid of the fan shroud also makes it much easier to see and work on the front of the engine like the ps pump ect.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old May 16th, 2010, 03:44 PM
D90user
steve

I saw the clutch vs. electric thread for V8's. I'm more interested in the inter-cooler issue. I've pretty much decided to go this route. My motor is also 2in further back than stock so the clutched fan does not fit in the shroud anyway.

Buck- So you noticed nothing from using an intercooler fan ehh? that is interesting. I have been perusing the UK sites and it seems that most just use a fan on the rad.
What brand 16in did you get?

anyone have photos?

------ Follow up post added May 16th, 2010 02:51 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by defeyago View Post
1980s and 90s 6 cylinders Ford Falcon also use it around here. Basically the same 1960s Falcon of yours but we kept building it till 1991!!! .
I noticed this in Argentina, there seems to be a ford falcon sub culture!
Old May 16th, 2010, 04:05 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
I saw the clutch vs. electric thread for V8's. I'm more interested in the inter-cooler issue. I've pretty much decided to go this route. My motor is also 2in further back than stock so the clutched fan does not fit in the shroud anyway.

Buck- So you noticed nothing from using an intercooler fan ehh? that is interesting. I have been perusing the UK sites and it seems that most just use a fan on the rad.
What brand 16in did you get?

anyone have photos?
My motor was about 2.5in back as well. Still cooled pretty well with the stock fan untill I blew it apart.

I didn't notice any change at all from the intercooler fan I installed. I have an extra powerful 8in that I bought for the intercooler that I can sell you if you are interested for $30.

The 16in I used was the Procomp unit. It is cheap. If you go 16in you have to get this model because it is flat top and bottom and barely fits. If you go 14in you can use anything. I think 14in would probably work but it leaves so much of the radiator uncovered that you would probably need to rig up a shroud. I was able to run without a shroud. I bought the senderand fan as a kit off ebay for I think around $50 total. Here are your pics. I did notice that the engine revs a little faster after the upgrade and runs cooler. No HP gains are noticable.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Fan.jpg
Views:	351
Size:	154.1 KB
ID:	27643   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fan cut.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	139.9 KB
ID:	27644  

Name:	Fan in.jpg
Views:	1079
Size:	117.4 KB
ID:	27645   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fan probe.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	99.0 KB
ID:	27646  

Name:	fan wiring.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	124.0 KB
ID:	27647  

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old May 16th, 2010, 04:09 PM
D90user
steve

Awesome- thank you
I'm interested in the 8in but let me sit on the little fan for a day, I need to do some research. Nice work on the sender also.

BTW there is a 300tdi electric fan thread... whoops.
Old May 16th, 2010, 04:27 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Awesome- thank you
I'm interested in the 8in but let me sit on the little fan for a day, I need to do some research. Nice work on the sender also.

BTW there is a 300tdi electric fan thread... whoops.
Lol. I know.

That little fan had the highest CFI there was in that size and I paid $60 for it. It's one of the blingy Zerco ones. Then the company takes 2 damn months to get it to me. By the time I get it I don't want it anymore and call to return it and they tell me I only have 30 days to cancel or return. I'm like cool, since I have had it for a couple days. No, not from when I get it, from when I order it! Awesome.

There is a perfect spot for the sender on the bottom of the elbow where I put it. Almost made for it. Cheers

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old May 16th, 2010, 05:07 PM
defeyago
Santiago
96 Defender 110 VGTdi SW County

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckon37s View Post
There is a perfect spot for the sender on the bottom of the elbow where I put it. Almost made for it. Cheers
It is made for it! A/C equipped 300 tdi Defenders and Dicoverys uses 2 sensors in that elbow.
04 Freelander Td4 5 dr.
97 Alfa Romeo 146 TD (Sold)
95 Volvo 850 GLT Estate
94 Discovery Tdi (Webasto equipped)
Old May 16th, 2010, 05:23 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by defeyago View Post
It is made for it! A/C equipped 300 tdi Defenders and Dicoverys uses 2 sensors in that elbow.
Well, that explains it then! And I thought I was being clever!

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old May 16th, 2010, 08:09 PM
JFD
Julien Dalbin
05 Tdi 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckon37s View Post
Well, that explains it then! And I thought I was being clever!
Those are for thermoswitches, one for the A/C condenser fan and one for cutting off compressor in case of very high temp.

Steve, do you have A/C ?
What you can do is adding one fan (pusher) in front of A/C condenser. I'm doing that upgrade now.
Old May 19th, 2010, 09:47 PM
D90user
steve

I thought about adding a pusher but I've decided it is worth giving the electric fans a shot.
1. My fan does not fit in the shroud as is
2. Motor has problems getting warm and I like that the electric fan can be truly off when cold
3. Finding replacement electric fan in say... Bolivia will be easier than a 300tdi fan clutch. Plus I can carry a spare fan motor for the taurus fan.

I have a Ford Taurus fan on the way, 2 speed and super powerful. So I will use that on a temp switch with a manual on/auto/off. All on 2 70amp relays.

I happen to have a x-eng kit for adding a temp switch. The instructions say to only put it on the bottom hose, with the theory that it will allow the radiator to do the work and have the fan cycle less. (this also puts the switch directly behind the intercooler, any problem there?)

Now I have also been considering tapping the elbow, but that has the temp switch on the top hose.

Any opinions on this?
Old June 2nd, 2010, 10:38 PM
D90user
steve

Finished the install and could not be happier.
Went with a used Taurus fan and bought a new seimens/VDO motor and will use the original (works great) as a trail spare. Wired it to a 40amp relay for the low speed and a 70amp realy for high speed. All fused to 30amps/ 60amps. Thermo switch is on the lower rad hose and set at (low 88C/83C- high 92/87), made by X-eng. I decided to go this way rather than tap the the thermostat housing because of the recommendation to use the bottom hose so that the radiator is able to do the work.

I wired it to a DTSP 3 way switch. Low(auto)/off/on(high).

I had to adapt the fan shroud but it was easy and came out great, and housed all the electrics in an old otter box mounted to the bulkhead ( i fit the glow plug relay in there also.) I have a green LED to see when the fan is on and I'm gogin to put in a red LED for the high (197) switch.

So far it has been great. Did 700 miles Nevada last week with multiple high summits and about 300 miles of dirt and had no issues just using the low setting. I used high a couple tiles and the engine would get too cold quick. I also notice a little more power when starting in 1st but not much. As for mpg... hard to tell but I bet a little little bit it helped as it was rarely on ... averaged 27mpg @ 65mph on freeway.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0957.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	28252   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0959.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	28253  

Name:	IMG_0960.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	28254   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0962.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	108.8 KB
ID:	28255  

Name:	IMG_0963.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	100.2 KB
ID:	28256  
Old June 2nd, 2010, 10:50 PM
exmod110
Don Lang

I am looking at doing the same thing.. what year of taurus was the doner fan found and how much of the ford harness did you use?
Old June 2nd, 2010, 10:57 PM
D90user
steve

I just used the ford plug, and used new relays and wires.
It came out of a 90's mustang 5.0 but it is the same fan as a mid 90's Taurus (3.8l i believe) 30 bucks at the junk yard. I spend another 60 for a new motor just to be sure.
Old June 3rd, 2010, 05:15 PM
exmod110
Don Lang

Before I swaped from the Nissan ld28 to a 300tdi I was using a dual fan assembly from a Focus, It worked very well, one fan (low cfm) was thermostatically controlled while the other (high cfm) fan was on a switch in the truck.
The fact that it was almost the perfect size covering the whole rad was a real bonus, but with the inter-cooler and diff placement of hoses on the 300 I am not sure how well it would work with 2 separate areas to cool.... If it will pull enough through the rad to keep things cool...
I will see if I can find the old rad with the fans still on it and post up some pics...
Old June 3rd, 2010, 05:34 PM
D90user
steve

FYI- As others have noticed as well... My EGTs are lower on the freeway with out any fan or shroud then they were with a fan a
shroud.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
300tdi, electric fan, fan, tdi