300TDi Disco ticking and druming sound - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 10th, 2014, 04:49 AM
IvanKV
Ivan
'89 110 County - 200TDi

Registry
Exclamation 300TDi Disco ticking and druming sound

I cold started my 300TDi at one of my work stops on Saturday and it was rather rough but I just figured it was the cold, around 30F. My grill is loss so it rattles a lot and when I opened the engine bay to reset it, I noticed a ticking from the right side about half way up. When I put my ear to the engine there was nothing but if I listened from the left side just above the battery there was a definite clicking/ticking. I once again assumed the cold. On my way to my next stop when I was at speed a faint, but noticeably 'drumming' like sound could be heard above the normal diesel. This died down if I let off the accelerator but still some drumming could be heard. Since I work up in OKC and live down in Norman(30-45mins) I took the side roads to keep the speed down. As of Saturday night there was a drumming sound.

I am going to start it up again tomorrow to see if the warm weather changes things but I wanted to brainstorm thoughts.

It has been 3155 miles since the last oil change , I plan to do that once the noise is solved.
The engine has roughly 75k miles on it and I, however, have no idea when the timing belt was changed. So naturally my paranoia is thinking it is the belt.
If it is I am going to order the part Monday from either AB or RN and the local LR mechanic said he could do it Thursday or Friday. $500 for the labour seems steep but my mechanic buddy will be outta town on Spring break by the time the part comes in....

TL;DR: Ticking sound at idle, drumming at speed from my 300TDi Disco. 3155 since my oil change; 75k on engine and no idea when, or if, the timing belt has been changed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 10th, 2014, 05:19 AM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

I've never heard anything I could say was the timing belt making noise. It is entirely possible that it is and if you feel that is it….Stop driving.
I've had vacuum pumps fall apart, but generally that is accompanied with an oil leak, but does make a clicking sound as it is driven off the camshaft. Same with fuel pumps, but that is generally coupled with some very poor running.
Is the noise constant?
If it is worse during unloading (just when you start to give more or less fuel) then it could be a crankshaft related issue (bearing).
If you have an actual oil pressure gauge was there any change in oil pressure?
Hard telling noises over the web.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
new expansion complete. Not only are we the only Rover shop in Eliot Maine...now we're also the biggest.

"Dedicated to the resurrection of junk through engineering?"
Old March 10th, 2014, 05:25 AM
IvanKV
Ivan
'89 110 County - 200TDi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by junkyddog11 View Post
I've never heard anything I could say was the timing belt making noise. I've had vacuum pumps fall apart, but generally that is accompanied with an oil leak, but does make a clicking sound as it is driven off the camshaft. Same with fuel pumps, but that is generally coupled with some very poor running.
Is the noise constant?
If it is worse during unloading (just when you start to give more or less fuel) then it could be a crankshaft related issue (bearing).
If you have an actual oil pressure gauge was there any change in oil pressure?
Hard telling noises over the web.
Well I figured the noise could be coming from bad internal timing, i.e. pistons crashing into valves.

I think it is worse at speed, that is when it is the most noticeable. I am going to take it around the block tomorrow after classes and will give a better report.

It may be related to fuel pumps, it has been awfully cold recently..last week under 18 and it has been tough getting her going, like I can be in the lot for 20+ minutes before white smoke stops pouring out when I give it fuel. My temp gauge doesn't give accurate reading. And I have no oil pressure gauge.

Just for peace of mind and what not, I will still replace the timing belt.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 10th, 2014, 05:35 AM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

Yes, I would replace the belt anyway. If pistons even tickle the valve when it's not running (like starting) you will know it very quickly (so I doubt that is the sound you are hearing)
It shouldn't be having such trouble burning fuel at that temp. At Zero deg it should only spit unburnt fuel (white smoke) for maybe 30 sec at worst. You might well have some timing issues going on. Perhaps the belt is indeed coming apart. Regardless, if you fear this, stop driving it. Not worth the potential damage.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
new expansion complete. Not only are we the only Rover shop in Eliot Maine...now we're also the biggest.

Old March 10th, 2014, 05:38 AM
IvanKV
Ivan
'89 110 County - 200TDi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by junkyddog11 View Post
Yes, I would replace the belt anyway. If pistons even tickle the valve when it's not running (like starting) you will know it very quickly (so I doubt that is the sound you are hearing)
It shouldn't be having such trouble burning fuel at that temp. At Zero deg it should only spit unburnt fuel (white smoke) for maybe 30 sec at worst. You might well have some timing issues going on. Perhaps the belt is indeed coming apart. Regardless, if you fear this, stop driving it. Not worth the potential damage.
Yes, I live 2 miles from the academic part campus so it is not much of a walk and my university also has a bus. The Disco will be sitting in my apartments lot until the part comes in and I can get it too the mechanic.
Old March 10th, 2014, 08:33 AM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

It's impossible to tell what the issue is, but if the timing belt mileage is unknown, changing it will be more of a task to establish a baseline and thus piece of mind. The sound could be a belt, idler pulley, head gasket, bad injector, and so on. Is their any change in smoke quantity or color? Is the coolant pressurizing?

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Old March 10th, 2014, 09:02 AM
IvanKV
Ivan
'89 110 County - 200TDi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdavisinva View Post
It's impossible to tell what the issue is, but if the timing belt mileage is unknown, changing it will be more of a task to establish a baseline and thus piece of mind. The sound could be a belt, idler pulley, head gasket, bad injector, and so on. Is their any change in smoke quantity or color? Is the coolant pressurizing?
The colour of the smoke is that same, I do not think the amount has changed but the time it takes to stop being produced has, I thought that was the cold however.
I will check coolant levels.
There has for like 2-3 weeks been a belt-like squeal at start up but it goes away for the most part. Sometimes it comes back at idle for a second here and there.
Old March 10th, 2014, 09:26 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by IvanKV View Post
There has for like 2-3 weeks been a belt-like squeal at start up but it goes away for the most part. Sometimes it comes back at idle for a second here and there.
This noise is most likely your serpentine belt itself. I have had that issue and changed what looked like a perfectly fine belt and the noise was gone.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old March 10th, 2014, 10:32 AM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

Good point. Not sure why I always assume the simpler things have been checked.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
300tdi, disco, tdi