Originally Posted by Ren Ching
Is it possible the block was modified at some point? I would be filing some holes oval by now to make the thing sit as close as possible to the factory position and be done with it.
I hear ya man for sure! This has got me scratching my head.
I got the engine back out tonight and the frame is spot on in the motor mount area at the 633-635 mm. With the frame mounts mocked up they have holes at the desired 553 mm. With the engine on the ground marking the motor mount center stud distance off the concrete I am getting that 535-537 mm. So that's confirmed, there is something not right.
A friend suggested putting some plate behind the engine side brackets to get the slack taken up by pushing them away from the engine, but with those outriggers to the bellhousing, that's not going to work. The engine mount outriggers don't appear to be kinked or anything, so I'm taking it as the motor and the engine mounts are correct. Guess that leaves the rubber mounts. I did buy them at the same time, so maybe they're both off.
I did talk with Oliver @ Overland (thanks to Oliver!) and he sent a new set of mounts, which helped for sure. But didn't solve the problem, but the original set wasn't correct. Mocking up the new mounts to the frame I get that perfect 553 mm, so I'm highly confident that they are now correct.
I need like 18mm to make it fit, but I think I can only hole out another 12mm from the frame mounts before I wont be able to get a nut on it. So I am still coming up short.
Pretty bizarre. We'll see what a new set of rubber motor mounts do I guess.