300tdi - defender vs. disco engine mount difference? - Page 3 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 13th, 2013, 07:23 PM
Broncoduecer
peter
D90

So I was looking at things more today and I wanted to find my center distance from rubber motor mount to rubber motor mount.

After taking some measurements, if you take the frame being 633mm - 40 mm left mount to frame - 57mm right mount to frame you get 536 mm. So that should be my distance center to center for the rubber mounts.
From an image I found on the site it says that the distance center to center for the motor mounts is 553mm.
553mm land rover number - 536 mm calculated = 17mm

Measured gap distance that frame mounts are from the frame = 17mm. So there is a correlation. But what the heck is causing that?! I keep feeling like I'm taking crazy pills. This should have just worked!

The frame mounts are correct as they provide the center of the hole 40mm from the frame.

I wonder if it's the rubber mounts? I bought ntc9416, and that shows to be the right p/n. I don't think its the engine mounting brackets on the engine. After looking as well you can only find one pair of part numbers disco and defender, but I think we already established that. Seems like the rubber mounts are the only thing left that can be wrong?!?

At least the beer is good in the garage. 2013 Celebration is a good one this year.

Pete
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	frame dimensions.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	86037  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 14th, 2013, 05:33 AM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

I wish I had something constructive to offer, but that all just seems odd.

I just put new mounts in a Td5 (wow….thats all I have to say about that) and they lifted the motor almost 3/4 inch. Now the fan sits really close to the top of shroud. Factory install, not that old, all new genuine parts. Its far from an exacting science. I can understand your wanting to be rocket launch accurate.
Has the mounting kit manufacturer commented?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
new expansion complete. Not only are we the only Rover shop in Eliot Maine...now we're also the biggest.

"Dedicated to the resurrection of junk through engineering?"
Old December 14th, 2013, 12:43 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
Is it possible the block was modified at some point? I would be filing some holes oval by now to make the thing sit as close as possible to the factory position and be done with it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 14th, 2013, 08:36 PM
Broncoduecer
peter
D90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ren Ching View Post
Is it possible the block was modified at some point? I would be filing some holes oval by now to make the thing sit as close as possible to the factory position and be done with it.
I hear ya man for sure! This has got me scratching my head.

I got the engine back out tonight and the frame is spot on in the motor mount area at the 633-635 mm. With the frame mounts mocked up they have holes at the desired 553 mm. With the engine on the ground marking the motor mount center stud distance off the concrete I am getting that 535-537 mm. So that's confirmed, there is something not right.

A friend suggested putting some plate behind the engine side brackets to get the slack taken up by pushing them away from the engine, but with those outriggers to the bellhousing, that's not going to work. The engine mount outriggers don't appear to be kinked or anything, so I'm taking it as the motor and the engine mounts are correct. Guess that leaves the rubber mounts. I did buy them at the same time, so maybe they're both off.

I did talk with Oliver @ Overland (thanks to Oliver!) and he sent a new set of mounts, which helped for sure. But didn't solve the problem, but the original set wasn't correct. Mocking up the new mounts to the frame I get that perfect 553 mm, so I'm highly confident that they are now correct.

I need like 18mm to make it fit, but I think I can only hole out another 12mm from the frame mounts before I wont be able to get a nut on it. So I am still coming up short.

Pretty bizarre. We'll see what a new set of rubber motor mounts do I guess.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	12-14 progress.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	103.9 KB
ID:	86070  
Old December 15th, 2013, 05:06 AM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

Tack the frame mounts on (heavy tack…..Id just be pretty confident and weld them) Make the engine mounts really loose so you can get the studs for same into there holes and then drop the motor on it and see what happens. You will need to slot the frame slightly just to let the studs go in .

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
new expansion complete. Not only are we the only Rover shop in Eliot Maine...now we're also the biggest.

"Dedicated to the resurrection of junk through engineering?"
Old January 25th, 2014, 02:57 PM
Broncoduecer
peter
D90

So in short the new mounts from Oliver helped a bunch. I also made the slots in the mounts a little longer. I left the rubber mounts loose on both sides of the engine. Happy to say its finally in there.
Now the fun stuff!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	108.7 KB
ID:	88608  

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
300tdi, defender, disco, engine, mount, tdi