300TDI crate motor source? - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 12th, 2012, 12:45 PM
Broncoduecer
peter
D90

Well no, but they started getting 200/300tdi rover drivetrains.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 12th, 2012, 10:09 PM
Alex C
alex
1985 D90 200Tdi

300Tdi Supply

What we need is a US/Canada supplier to buy and distribute these.

http://www.ptp-oe.co.uk/articles/12/...aa_/page_1.htm
Old February 13th, 2012, 10:07 AM
Naplm00
Matthew
1983 110 200tdi 3 door soft top

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncoduecer View Post
Has anyone gotten an engine from the Urban Land Cruisers? I've been talking with them and they sound pretty good to deal with. Their prices are pretty reasonable as well.

http://www.urbanlandcruisers.com/index2.html

Pete

they are getting motors from this guy:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DEFENDER-D...t_1305wt_1297\

I was goin to buy from him but he was flaky as hell with communication
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 13th, 2012, 11:11 AM
Skeena river rover
jeroen
1997 300 TDI 110

I might be wrong but is that not the same guy as land rover imports? just different name? No way to see more info about there company? Or maybe i am getting senile.
Old February 13th, 2012, 11:31 AM
Naplm00
Matthew

Yea its 2 different guys
Old February 13th, 2012, 12:51 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Landy Ltd has been around for a very long time. Communication ? He's in Wales. Welsh are unique folks. That said he's 43 miles from where I ship from and I have a great pallet tranport service.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old April 10th, 2012, 06:44 PM
rovernutzz
duncan goodchild
16x defenders...... so too many !

with regard to the mud slinging going on i thought i would set out some facts......

I supplied chris with a land rover defender, originally camel trophy. sent to vancouver BC.
he complained that the engine smoked and leaked oil so i agreed to send him another engine and even come and fit it.
i picked the land rover up, and could not make it smoke no matter what i tried to do. i removed the engine, traced the oil leak to the oil drain plug. roverlanders own cory paulger can attest to this.
chris told me he didnt think the engine was rebuilt so the head was removed to find nice fresh cylinder bores. this engine is now sitting with stephen ford as a spare for his tdi 110 i built him or conversion for a discovery should he need it.

the latest engine was one bought from a reputable builder..... and after fitting it i heard nothing from chris till i got an email. i wont copy the whole email here but here are the facts from it in his own words......( i can post the whole email if requested.)

pulled over when the engine was pushing higher temp than normal and rattling a little under load, found expansion tank bubbling and oil low
let it cool and added oil
went to restart and it would not turn fast enough to fire engine
had a fellow help me push start it and all seemed fine so drove on
a few KM later engine noise, blue/gray smoke and engine shaking so pulled over to the shoulder.....

subsequent emails determined that the amount of oil added (7/8 quart, 0.82 liters) was what should have taken the oil level past full on the dipstick however it was still not there, meaning the oil level was below the minimum mark when oil was added. particularly at highway speeds this can be detrimental to an engine as you can imagine.
so, why is chris saying i did not warranty this engine ? well not just to do with the oil, though that gives me an indication of what checks were carried out before doing this trip in the vehicle. it is more that after the engine overheated and would not restart chris took it on himself to force it to do so.
That said, i did offer to pay to ship the engine back and look into what the problems were and fix them with him being responsible for costs if it was apparent he was at fault, however he demanded i pay for it to be fixed by his own choice of shop which i was not prepared to do.
he then threatened court action against me and my subcontractors (i was happy for him to take me to court and happy to give him any details he needed to do so)
this is all documented in emails between us along with his next email that demanded that i pay $6000 for work he had done on it or he would post his version of things all over the internet. quite frankly i would rather he take me court......

over the years and hundreds of customers i have only had a few who were not happy with my service even though there were some problems that needed to be sorted along the way..... this has to be expected in any business that you cannot please everyone, but i do try.... even replacing parts on occasion when warranties have run out.
Old April 12th, 2012, 09:12 PM
bossman429
Adrian
1988 90

Registry
Welp - I just bought a 200TDI you rebuiilt in 2009 but has been sitting ever since and never got put in the project it was intented for... hope ya did a good job, we'll find out in a couple weeks
Old April 12th, 2012, 10:36 PM
roverman2010
John
1985 LR 90 200Tdi

Registry
He is in Wrexham North Wales, my home town. I guess you could say I am unique?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 130Tdi View Post
Landy Ltd has been around for a very long time. Communication ? He's in Wales. Welsh are unique folks. That said he's 43 miles from where I ship from and I have a great pallet tranport service.

Still looking for that place where I can carry a paddle and get asked what's that.

JnK Services
FC101 GS FFR
57 LR 88" SXF 858
85 LR90
95 D1 Tdi
05 D3 HSE
97 XK8 BRG FHC For Sale
Old February 27th, 2013, 11:42 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Has anybody imported a Turner motor recently? Can it still be done? Are the ancillaries hard to find in the US?
Old February 28th, 2013, 02:26 AM
paulnb57
Paul Beckwith
92 D90 300tdi hard top rebuild

I have just bought a "turnkey" 300tdi engine for my 90 rebuild from Hobsons in the UK. I had a choice of remanufactured using genuine or OEM parts or all new and genuine, I went for all new and genuine. The difference in price was about 1400. The engine is complete down to clutch and engine mounts, be advised though this is by no means a cheap option. I could have bought a tidy used truck here in the UK for the money, but I figure, whats the point of rebuilding everything onto a galv chassis, then fitting a tired 150k miles engine?.......

Heres a link to Hobsons, my dealings with this company were superb, with good, helpful, prompt communication throughout, I would not hesitate to use this company again.

http://www.hobsonindustries.co.uk/

Paul

Eat Drink Play, After death there is no pleasure.
Old February 28th, 2013, 11:22 AM
Naplm00
Matthew

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris snell View Post
Has anybody imported a Turner motor recently? Can it still be done? Are the ancillaries hard to find in the US?

last time i called they stated they werent doing 200 or 300 whole motors anymore. They couldnt get enough heads
Old February 28th, 2013, 12:02 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
You can still buy new complete 300TDIs.

http://www.britpart.com/Accessory.as...oryVehicleRef=

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old February 28th, 2013, 12:29 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris snell View Post
Used engines are treated as parts and can enter. I have done that recently. Rebuilt are treated as new and require creativity.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old March 5th, 2013, 03:42 AM
paulnb57
Paul Beckwith
92 D90 300tdi hard top rebuild

I have had a few pms asking how much my new 300tdi engine cost (see previous post).

7300 plus 20% UK Vat (sales tax) plus delivery, i live in the UK and guess the UK sales tax would not apply to an export.......as I said in the previous post, not a cheap option, but I intend to hand the truck to the kids when i expire...driven sympathetically and maintained regularly the engine should be good for 250,000 miles......

Regards

Paul

Eat Drink Play, After death there is no pleasure.
Old March 5th, 2013, 07:33 AM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

New 2.8 TVG???

Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Parts > New 2.8 TVGHope this helps.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Old March 12th, 2013, 02:36 AM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by 130Tdi View Post
Used engines are treated as parts and can enter. I have done that recently. Rebuilt are treated as new and require creativity.
I'm ready to roll, finally. Need to locate a new crate three hundy in the UK with ancillaries if I can find one. Need to get more details on the "creative" measures.
Old March 12th, 2013, 07:58 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Good luck on new.
Old March 12th, 2013, 09:55 AM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
There is one in the for sale section....save $5K
Old March 12th, 2013, 11:53 AM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

I decided against TGV, as I want parts commonality with the guys I wheel with...who have three hundys. I don't want a used rebuild candidate motor, either.

I've found a remanufactured long block at Turner Engineering and may go that direction if I can find new ancillaries.

I need to call Rob Dassler about a gearbox and t-case, too.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
300tdi, motor, tdi