300tdi coolant problem - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old April 25th, 2012, 06:10 AM
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
+1 on Turner. Head bolts are reasonable too.
? did you have to do yours again.
BTW, the head bolts are reusable up to like 5 times.

The exhaust gas "sniffers" don't always work very well with diesels. Of the countless tdi head gaskets I change it is rare that the test actually shows evidence of exhaust, yet 100% of the pressurized systems have been cured with a head gasket.......other than those that needed a new head also from excessive overheating (I have not had any long term success "skimming" tdi heads).

Matt Browne

www.overlandengineering.com new expansion complete. Not only are we the only Rover shop in Eliot Maine...now we're also the biggest.

"Dedicated to the resurrection of junk through engineering?"
Old April 25th, 2012, 07:21 AM
mark kellgren
93' NAS 110- #234
If it's overheating, there's about a dozen reasons. If it's overheating and a pressurized blowout, change the gasket. I can't think of anything else it could be. First time I did mine, I was still new to diesels and highly intimidated. Now I realize how simple changing that gasket is, and it doesn't take all that long either. watch the youtube trailfitter videos first if you want to visualize it.

You will gain so much confidence in your engine and abilities by having changed the gasket yourself at least once.

M&D told me my bolts were good up to 3 times, but you have to measure them to make sure they have not stretched. if they did, then replace. Last time I did my head I ordered all new bolts, but I had already used mine once and didn't want to be delayed in case one had stretched on disassembly waiting on additional bolts. If you order all new bolts, then when you pull the old ones out, you can measure them. if they are to spec, then you have spares for the next time.

Old April 25th, 2012, 04:11 PM
83 D110 RHD 300tdi Disco conversion
I am going to check my diesel injectors for fluid spray. I ordered a compression test kit 0-1000psi and then I will procede to check psi before I disasemble the motor.

I thank you two above those pieces of knowlegde you have boosted my confidence in the repair.

I have rebuilt a couple of bmw motors and several head gaskets. but these symptoms were in plain view.
Old April 26th, 2012, 02:36 PM
Mike Hammond
110 200Tdi and a 2005 Scorpa SY250
99% sure it'll be the head gasket.
Mike Hammond
Diesels.....great when they're going and so easy to work on.
Old April 26th, 2012, 03:17 PM
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team
Just change the head gasket. It is VERY simple and takes no time...
Old April 26th, 2012, 03:56 PM
Santiago Montenegr
Santiago Montenegro
98 110 CSW 300 TDi
I second the last two posts. Easy job, and 99.9999% sure it is the issue.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

300tdi, coolant, tdi