300tdi Basic Questions - Now With Underdrive! - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 12th, 2009, 01:25 PM
AfricaOrBust
Richard
2006 LR3

300tdi Basic Questions - Now With Underdrive!

Did a search and read a lot of great threads on the 300tdi, but I have a few questions left.

First, I saw a review of a recent UK diesel D110 that seemed to show that engine braking wasn’t all that great on a steep downhill compared to a gas engine. Can anyone comment on how much of a handicap this is for the diesel?

If so, would an underdrive help? I remember seeing on the ECR site that crawl ratio was something like 116:1 with an underdrive versus about 40:1 for a stock D110, but I’m not sure how well gearing will compensate for lack of engine braking.

Put it another way, which would have a slower, more predictable rate of descent on a steep downhill – a D110 with 300tdi and underdrive (engaged), or a 4.6l gas engine in 4-lo?

And lastly, I seem to have awoken in a state that hates trucks – California. Anyone know if the 300tdi is emissions legal here?

Thanks for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 12th, 2009, 01:32 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Don't know wherer you got that info but my 90 with the 300tdi has the best engine braking... I have creeped down some steep stuff and I never use the brakes. sometimes i even use 2nd gear cause 1st is so slow
Old February 12th, 2009, 02:22 PM
LRover
J. Michael McCaig
D90 ST, LR110, Series IIa, RRC

I would have to agree about the diesel having the best engine braking. I have a 4.6 in my 110 which I dearly love but I don't think it will beat a diesel when it comes to engine braking. Technically a 300tdi has not been aproved for highway use anywhere in the states. I don't know how Calif. will look at the engine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 12th, 2009, 05:01 PM
AfricaOrBust
Richard
2006 LR3

Thanks for the replies. I haven't driven the diesel so I appreciate your first hand knowledge. This was the clip that provoked the question. It is a video review of the D110 and a gas engine vehicle that will remain nameless. The reviewer does comment on the lack of engine braking and the video seems to show the D110 surging ahead a bit on the downslope.

The downhill portion begins at about 4:05. I hope it is OK to post links on these forums, if not please advise and I'll edit it out right away:

Old February 12th, 2009, 06:18 PM
grnrvrs
Paul

The quoted vid is of the electronically controlled Puma engine, not a 300tdi. The comment that you are referring to is an artifact of the 'anti-stall' feature on the Puma not of diesel engines per se and certainly not a 300tdi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfricaOrBust
Thanks for the replies. I haven't driven the diesel so I appreciate your first hand knowledge. This was the clip that provoked the question. It is a video review of the D110 and a gas engine vehicle that will remain nameless. The reviewer does comment on the lack of engine braking and the video seems to show the D110 surging ahead a bit on the downslope.

The downhill portion begins at about 4:05. I hope it is OK to post links on these forums, if not please advise and I'll edit it out right away:

Old February 12th, 2009, 06:25 PM
AfricaOrBust
Richard
2006 LR3

Thanks much for the clarification!
Old February 13th, 2009, 07:07 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

I registered my 300TDi in Cali. They just check if it is in fact a diesel and then clear you of any responsibility for emissions. BUT, it is not a sure thing. I have heard of other people having trouble especially if you get an inspector that knows what he is doing. Diesel swaps are not illegal here, but using a motor that is older than the production date of the car is, as an example.

Go to the DMV. If you get an answer you don't like, don't argue. Say thank you and then go to another DMV. You should not have much issue.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
300tdi, tdi