300tdi and automatic? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 17th, 2011, 09:53 AM
shamptonrover
jeffrey scannelli
1998 110tdi

Question 300tdi and automatic?

I have just purchased a 97 st and am converting it to a 300 tdi. Is the automatic a good way to go?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 17th, 2011, 10:44 AM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Did you buy rayfi's truck?

If so I would use the r380 he supplied. That is an awesome truck and i want to see pics of it all togeter.

Auto isn't bad if done right. Need right gearing etc but it won't help you win any races.
Old May 17th, 2011, 10:49 AM
AmityD90
Gery
1987 ROW D90

Registry
Correct me if I'm wrong, but its difficult to get a 97 registered/inspected with a diesel conversion in NY.

I would go with what's cheaper to install/maintain unless the person(s) driving it needs automatic.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 17th, 2011, 11:33 AM
kevkon
kevin
1994 D90 300tdi #730, SIII 88

It's not a right or wrong choice. There are pros and cons to both options. It all depends on what your preferences are and how you will use the truck.
Old May 17th, 2011, 12:34 PM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmityD90 View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but its difficult to get a 97 registered/inspected with a diesel conversion in NY.

I would go with what's cheaper to install/maintain unless the person(s) driving it needs automatic.
It is complicated.

It is likely NY will enact (if they haven't already as it has been a while since I researched it) a rolling exclusion for vehicles 15yo on OBDII compliance. Until that happens, getting the title/registration changed is easy, just go into the local DMV office and explain that you are repowering due to age/mileage. The gray area is the inspection. If NY joins other surrounding states in centralizing their inspections system and requiring OBDII checks, then you will be SOL. They have not yet and luckily NY faces an ongoing budget crunch. The inspector can bypass the screens asking for the OBD check if they know what they are doing and are cool with it. Lightweight diesels were exempt from OBD check but the computer wigs out expecting the vehicle inputted to have a gas engine.

If you don't want the headache, stay with the 4.0.

To the original question, I personally prefer the auto off road. With the right tuning of injection pump, correct torque converter and trans valve body, maybe upgrade the turbo to the 2.8 version, it can be made to perform. But you will lose some on-road performance.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old May 17th, 2011, 12:53 PM
AmityD90
Gery
1987 ROW D90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarchand View Post
It is complicated.

It is likely NY will enact (if they haven't already as it has been a while since I researched it) a rolling exclusion for vehicles 15yo on OBDII compliance. Until that happens, getting the title/registration changed is easy, just go into the local DMV office and explain that you are repowering due to age/mileage. The gray area is the inspection. If NY joins other surrounding states in centralizing their inspections system and requiring OBDII checks, then you will be SOL. They have not yet and luckily NY faces an ongoing budget crunch. The inspector can bypass the screens asking for the OBD check if they know what they are doing and are cool with it. Lightweight diesels were exempt from OBD check but the computer wigs out expecting the vehicle inputted to have a gas engine.

If you don't want the headache, stay with the 4.0.

To the original question, I personally prefer the auto off road. With the right tuning of injection pump, correct torque converter and trans valve body, maybe upgrade the turbo to the 2.8 version, it can be made to perform. But you will lose some on-road performance.
Thanks for the clarification.
I remember when I was looking for my D90. I narrowed it down to a 94 just in case I wanted to do a diesel conversion down the road.
Old May 17th, 2011, 02:16 PM
shamptonrover
jeffrey scannelli
1998 110tdi

We are a registered NYS inspection station so I am pretty sure it will pass?? But is the performance worth the work of installing the automatic ?
Old May 17th, 2011, 02:24 PM
AmityD90
Gery
1987 ROW D90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamptonrover View Post
We are a registered NYS inspection station so I am pretty sure it will pass?? But is the performance worth the work of installing the automatic ?

http://britrover.com/listman/listings/l0022.html

Recon mission?
Perhaps it would be worth a "test drive" before going into it?
Old May 17th, 2011, 02:41 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

I have driven one that was tuned. Drove well. I think it all depends on your set up. Some people don't like auto defenders some do. If you like auto defenders, I don't think you will be disappointed with a auto 300 tdi.
Old May 17th, 2011, 03:22 PM
crown14
Verticalscrote
Volkswagen Super Beetle
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Its good stuff, I love mine- its not a 90 but the tuned 300 with auto works great in the disco too. With the auto you definitely don't have to worry about spilling your orange soda and even chicks can drive it.
Old May 17th, 2011, 05:53 PM
Hammertime
Dana Hammersley
1997 Arles Blue #162

I drive a gas auto and wouldn't have it any other way. If your offroading the only advantage IMO to a stick is going down hill. But then again with a good e-brake you can stop on all but the steepest hills. The auto you can creep right up to and over rocks without stalling. Can tell you how many guys tell me they would not have a auto. And I watch them stall on rock not get the right gear on a hill and loose all momentum while trying to grap the right gear. I think the auto's are alittle more forgiving on the drivetrain also. I have had many a standard and shattered clutches, throw out bearing. slave cyclinders etc. Only had one auto go bad and that was because a stick caught the kickdown cable and flood the tranny with water. Made it another 2 weeks before it crapped out. Go Auto IMO
Old May 17th, 2011, 06:54 PM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamptonrover
Where are you located?

Old May 17th, 2011, 07:49 PM
T1G UP
marcus
Puma 110 xs. Td5 110 xs for sale

personally i can't stand the gear change on a R380 box.

I'm nearly ready to convert my td5 90 csw into auto using the compushift

A tweaked 300 tdi will go well and is the best option off road IMHO
Old May 17th, 2011, 08:19 PM
navydevildoc
Neill Thornton
1984 D90 300 Tdi / 1965 Series IIA
Site Team

Registry
I have a 300Tdi with the 4HP22, and it works great. I might lose a little bit of "umph" because of the auto, but that's fine.

No complaints, I would do it again in a heartbeat.
Old May 17th, 2011, 08:48 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Thanks to Charles, I've driven both an auto and a manual D90 and have found the auto is much easier to drive on the street. Just drop in 'D' and go!

What happens to an auto when you crank the starter in drive? Does it inch forward like on a manual?
Old May 17th, 2011, 09:24 PM
Turbofan
Ethan
'73 SIII/ D90 Hybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoronos View Post
Thanks to Charles, I've driven both an auto and a manual D90 and have found the auto is much easier to drive on the street. Just drop in 'D' and go!

What happens to an auto when you crank the starter in drive? Does it inch forward like on a manual?
No, it won't creep forward (until the motor actually starts). At cranking speed, the torque converter won't be creating enough pressure to spin the transmission. Since a manual is more of a "direct drive" so to speak, if it's in gear, any movement of the engine will result in transmission movement.
Old May 17th, 2011, 11:03 PM
hillstrubl
Danny
2005 Disco 3

I don't see myself ever having an automatic.

I get why people would want them, but I don't drive a Defender for convenience...
Old May 17th, 2011, 11:34 PM
kevkon
kevin
1994 D90 300tdi #730, SIII 88

I would say that with regard to the TDI, it's not about convenience. It's more about a good pairing of motor, trans, and torque.
Old May 18th, 2011, 07:46 AM
Capt Milks
Mike
Defender V-8, Defender 2.25

Land Rover did put an Auto box in a few Defenders. The engine vin numbers were different. I have one. To the best of my knowledge the engine, turbo, intake, and all were the same. I think the injection pump, however was different. They adjusted the injection pump to give the engine a little more power to offset the power stolen by the auto box. The performance, even with this upgrade, wasn't as good as the manual.

I know a lot of people who swear by the auto trans off road, on the other hand I know a lot of people who would argue that the manual is the way to go. I prefer the manual, but that is me.
Old May 18th, 2011, 10:59 AM
crown14
Verticalscrote
Volkswagen Super Beetle
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I thought the difference to the injection pump was the provision for the kickdown cable.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
300tdi, tdi