300TDi aftermarket fuel filter/water separator? - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old August 11th, 2015, 01:05 PM
mdcoa
Bill
1995 Discovery

Numerous parts on order . . .

Anyone know the part number for the sedimenter bracket? (mounts to the inside of the right chassis rail on the rear shock mount bolts, I believe)--closest I could come is NRC7372 or NRC5623, but it looks like at least one of those is angled, and I believe I the bracket bolts to a vertical surface and should have a vertical mounting surface on it for the sedimenter to bolt to . . .

(I'm leaning toward mounting the sedimenter (I ordered one from Rob Davis) down there in the stock location rather than trying to fit everything on to the bulkhead.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 11th, 2015, 01:15 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Allbrit.de - Ersatzteile für LAND ROVER & MG ROVER

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old August 11th, 2015, 01:29 PM
mdcoa
Bill
1995 Discovery

Thanks--I actually just got off the phone with Zack, and RN had a bracket in stock, which will be headed my way shortly!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 16th, 2015, 09:22 PM
mdcoa
Bill
1995 Discovery

OK, just a follow up for those of you who haven't been able to sleep, wondering about my fuel filtration situation. . .

Got the sedimented from RdavisinVA--it's very solid, and should be great. Decided to mount it under the truck in the stock sedimenter location, got the proper LR bracket from Zach (whose name I somehow was convinced was spelled "Zack," much to my chagrin) at RN, NTC7696, cut off the metal fuel lines and double-hose-clamped 5/16" rubber line around them leading to the sedimenter.

Up under the hood, I mounted a Stanadyne FM100 header (part 33260p), plumbing it in after the lift pump and before the injection pump. And a Stanadyne 6" 2 micron filter, part 35612.

Then I pumped the lift pump about 50 times and then checked to see if it was making a vacuum at all and then realized I needed to turn the engine over slightly . . . and then pumped it another 100 times and fuel came burbling out of the bleed valve on the Stanadyne filter header.

And I replaced the cheesy plastic plugs that came with the header ( which I could NOT get to seal) with brass ones from the local hardware store.

Have done a very brief test run; she seems to be doing great. Thanks, everyone, for all the advice.

-bill
Old August 17th, 2015, 11:49 AM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Looks great!

How often does everyone change their fuel filters? Since you can't visually inspect them it makes it harder to know when it's time to replace it? I haven't changed mine in almost two years.
Old August 17th, 2015, 12:19 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
How long is a piece of string? It more depends on how clean your fuel supply is than anything else. I think the factory recommendation is 18000 miles, which is probably fine.

Old August 17th, 2015, 01:09 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

This string is 18000 miles long apparently. That is a helpful guide. I run B99 from Sequential Fuels (OR) and the quality is very high. Thanks!
Old October 19th, 2015, 11:01 AM
mdcoa
Bill
1995 Discovery

OK, so rather than starting a brand-new thread, I'll put my next dumb question here.

-In the process of doing this upgrade, I discovered that I drove the Disco for roughly 2k miles with no fuel filtration at all. Looks like someone intended to hook the lift pump up to the original "to" line, running through the V8 filter but connected the return line to the lift pump instead.

-Now that I have a proper sedimenter and filter in place, the sedimenter is separating out some plastic fragments (look like drilling scraps) from the fuel.

-Lift pump seems to be working fine (when priming the new filter it produced a nice amount of pressure), and the engine seems to be running fine, too, although the injection noise gets unusually loud under load, at high rpm, once thoroughly warmed up.

-Anything I should do to the engine to remedy any issues that might have been caused by running unfiltered fuel for so long? I can only assume that some of those little plastic pieces like the ones now at the bottom of the sediment bowl got through at some point . . .

Should I do a preemptive lift pump replacement? Something to the injector pump? Or just leave well enough alone until something ain't working?

Thanks in advance!
Old October 19th, 2015, 11:17 AM
roverman2010
John
1985 LR 90 200Tdi

Registry
The plastic bits are must probley from the removal of the fuel tank filler restictor, just another shitty conversation.

If it's running there not much you can do but hope and get on bended knee and offer the rover gods some ep90

Still looking for that place where I can carry a paddle and get asked what's that.

JnK Services
FC101 GS FFR
57 LR 88" SXF 858
85 LR90
95 D1 Tdi
05 D3 HSE
97 XK8 BRG FHC For Sale
Old November 6th, 2017, 10:14 AM
aosias
Alexandra
1995 D90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
Get a sedimentor from Mr. Davis, http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...8-a-59085.html for between the tank and lift pump.

Install an aftermarket 2 micron filter between the lift pump and injection pump. Stanadyne's FM-100 fits the stock location. Racor also do nice units.
I have the sedimentor you recommend between the tank and lift pump with a 12v pump. I've been running the Napa Gold 3472. It looks like the Napa filter is 10 micron, but it shows up as the recommended filter on searches here. Are you recommending the 2 micron filter instead even with the sedimentor?

I just had the IP rebuilt and feel like I've replaced every ancillary on this motor in the last few months. I'd like to keep them all clean.

Thanks,
Alex
Old November 6th, 2017, 10:23 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
10 to 15 micron is fine for not damaging the injection pump and not plugging the nozzles. That is the factory filter size. The 2 micron filter is to increase the life of the injector nozzles. Studies have shown that the extra filtration reduces buildup at the nozzle tip holes and allows them to go longer between changes.

The sedimentor is to prevent the lift pump check valve from getting stuck open.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
300tdi, filter, fuel, tdi, water