300TDi A/C - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 31st, 2011, 10:53 PM
piekas
Pierre Jourda
1987 Defender 110

200tdi w/AC installed

Just got through putting in an aftermarket AC in a 200tdi. Works perfectly, looks pretty good. All parts new, cost about $1,100. Couldn't justify RoversNorth kit ($2,900) or the Elite kit (about $2,000 with shipping). I'd be happy to post a more detailed thread if there's interest. All in all very straightforward.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 1.jpg
Views:	1173
Size:	108.9 KB
ID:	40756   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 3.jpg
Views:	2041
Size:	106.2 KB
ID:	40757  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 31st, 2011, 11:05 PM
JFD
Julien Dalbin
05 Tdi 90

Your radiator top hose clamp is way off line.
Old August 1st, 2011, 09:08 PM
discotdi
Todd Miller
Land Rover

This is the best news I've seen in a long time. Was considering selling the 110 because of the lack of a/c and cost to add new elite kit. Please post more info. Where did you get it? Brand??
I wish I could give you a big hug, that's not weird is it?
If you prefer to just email me that's cool too.
Lr110def at yahoo
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 1st, 2011, 09:33 PM
grnrvrs
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by piekas View Post
I'd be happy to post a more detailed thread if there's interest. All in all very straightforward.
Do it. Love to know more about it.
Old August 2nd, 2011, 02:25 PM
piekas
Pierre Jourda
1987 Defender 110

Hugs are good, beer is better. Summary below, feel free to reach out with more questions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by discotdi View Post
This is the best news I've seen in a long time. Was considering selling the 110 because of the lack of a/c and cost to add new elite kit. Please post more info. Where did you get it? Brand??
I wish I could give you a big hug, that's not weird is it?
If you prefer to just email me that's cool too.
Lr110def at yahoo
Thanks
------ Follow up post added August 2nd, 2011 11:40 AM ------

My truck: 200tdi, left hand drive, no electric fan prior to install, 65 AMP alternator, crankshaft pulley with three grooves

All parts were sourced from Nostalgic Air Parts (http://www.nostalgicairparts.com) I’m in no way affiliated with these guys. I picked them because of the evaporator which I think looks pretty good inside. (http://www.nostalgicairparts.com/ima...e/90UD140W.jpg)

Total list of parts needed, aside from some wire, nuts, bolts, connectors, etc…is below. Obviously all of the items can be replaced by other items from any other vendor. I would probably stick to Nostalgic’s compressor mounting plate though, at least for the 200tdi.

Items that can be purchased from Nostalgic:
Under-dash Evaporator Unit 1967-1972 Chevy $299.99 (for LHD only. Pick a different option for a RHD)
Male Trinary Safety Switch For Electric Fans $19.99
New Sanden Style 709 V- Belt Double Groove compressor & clutch $184.99 (Don't know if 300tdi is a v-belt or serpentine belt-pick the right one)
Relay and Mount $14.98
York Compressor Adapter Plate / Universal Mount $39.99
Universal R-134a Hose Kit $79.99 (likely not enough hose for a RHD. You’d have to measure out what you need)
14 X 20 Aluminum Condenser with Drier Mounted $124.99
Condenser Mount Kit $4.99
Adjustable Thermostat Control Unit $49.99
11 Inch Low profile High Performance Electric Fan 1110 CFM $81.99
Adjustable Fan Thermostat 180 - 240 Degrees $24.99
Inline Switch Port Female $9.99
Subtotal: $887.00

Other items required:
~51” v-belt $20
200tdi AC pulley this item http://www.shop4autoparts.net/Defender/Engine/2-5-200Tdi/Cooling/614718-pulley-arm-assembly-oem.html $82
200tdi AC pulley mount (replaces injection pump cover on timing case- http://www.brit-car.co.uk/product.php?xProd=85842) LR part ETC8853 . Note that in my case this did not come with screws. The screws currently on engine are too short. $41
Subtotal: $143

Grand Total: $1,030

High level summary of the installation follows. Note that some instructions and diagrams are available at Nostalgic and will also be sent with your kit.

Condenser
1) Remove radiator grille/ metal exterior shroud
2) Attach electric fan to condenser before mounting with parts that came with fan.
3) Attach metal straps (from condenser mount kit) to condenser – recommend pop rivets
4) Position condenser in front of radiator. When positioning, ensure that: shroud still fits properly and that you’ll be able to easily attach 90-degree fittings to the drier. Also ensure there’s at least a ¾” gap between condenser and radiator
5) Attach straps to radiator frame. I recommend pop rivets here too, though screws would be fine.

Compressor and belt (instructions for a 200tdi)
1) remove viscous fan and shroud, if you have one
2) Drill and tap 4 holes on top of timing case (it’s obvious where this is mean to be). Pick a size that matches your bolt. Take care when tapping the two rear bolt holes, go too deep and you’ll damage your timing belt. As your tapping, blow out metal shavings as often as you can to minimize the amount that ends up falling into your timing case
3) Drill new holes in the universal compressor mounting plate to match the 4 holes you just drilled.
4) Attach plate, attach compressor. Ensure that the compressor pulley groove is lined up with the crankshaft groove
5) Remove 3 screws holding injection pump cover in place. Replace cover with ETC8853. Put a paper gasket in there or gasket glue for good measure.
6) Remove your PS belt in order to install compressor belt
7) Fit AC compressor belt, pulley, and tension belt. re-refit PS belt
8) Do not plug compressor clutch wire into anything

Additional note here: I don't run a viscous fan, if you choose to keep yours after this you may have to trim the blades very slightly so as to clear the compressor clutch.

Wiring
This part is tricky. There’s a fair amount of wiring required. Rather than me try to describe it all here, I will refer you to this diagram: http://www.vintageair.com/DownloadsSection/Quick%20Reference%20Wiring%20Diagrams/24678-VUS%20Trinary%20Safety%20Switch%20Wiring%20Diagram .pdf

You could try to make sense of this diagram, or just follow it exactly and everything will work. In short, all this does is enable your fan to come on either due to high temps in your condenser/radiator or a pressure need in the AC system, as well as control the compressor clutch. One note related to the diagram is that the “connect to switch” mention they make is the thermostat. I would recommend placing all the electronics up high near the radiator, in my case right next to the power steering fluid bottle.

Hoses
You’ll need to make 3 hoses with a total of 8 crimps. My approach was to buy a manual hose crimper (like this one http://www.amazon.com/Mastercool-71550-Conditioner-Hose-Crimper/dp/B000WBQ4U2) and then re-sell it for a little less than I paid for it. It’s not cheap at $160.00. I highly recommend going this route. Make sure that you fit for length, exact hose placement, fitting angle, etc… before you do any crimping.

As for getting the hoses into the car, I used the RHD steering column hole to run everything through. Many different options for this. Obviously for a RHD truck you’ll run everything on the other side. The hoses you’ll need to make are listed below.
1) Hose connecting compressor high side to top of condenser
2) Hose connecting drier to evaporator, with the inline switch port spliced in between (I would recommend placement near radiator). I would recommend crimping on the drier side fitting first, running the hose through the bulkhead, dry fitting everything, and then crimping on fitting inside car)
3) Hose connecting evaporator low side to compressor low side (similar to above, attach fitting to compressor first, run hose inside car, dry fit it all, and then crimp on fitting in car)

Evaporator
This is the easiest part. With someone’s help, position your evaporator where you want it, allowing for: space for shifting and handbrake, ensure hoses won’t be kinked, check to see that your fusebox cover is still removeable. You’ll then have to connect ground wire, thermostat wire, positive wire, and two hoses. Pick a good spot in the footwell through which to drill a hole for the water tube. There’s really not much more to this part.

Charging
Do it yourself or take it somewhere. Cost me about $100 to do it myself. And I still own the tools.

I'm sure I've missed some stuff, but obviously the disclaimer was that this was high level. I'd be happy to answer additional questions. Good luck.
Old August 2nd, 2011, 03:04 PM
discotdi
Todd Miller
Land Rover

thanks for the info and all the work you have put ino it. Obviously you did the install yourself, any idea how long it takes? I would have to have someone do the install for me, not too mechanically inclined and lack of tools.
and you did buy all the parts from Nostalgic air? Except for the LR OE parts.
Old August 2nd, 2011, 03:11 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
impressive!! Thanks!!
Old August 2nd, 2011, 03:42 PM
piekas
Pierre Jourda
1987 Defender 110

Yes, all the parts came from Nostalgic except for the LR parts and v-belt. I did it over several days, so it's hard to say. I had never worked on AC before, so there's also that. Maybe 10 hours in all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by discotdi View Post
thanks for the info and all the work you have put ino it. Obviously you did the install yourself, any idea how long it takes? I would have to have someone do the install for me, not too mechanically inclined and lack of tools.
and you did buy all the parts from Nostalgic air? Except for the LR OE parts.
Old August 2nd, 2011, 05:30 PM
discotdi
Todd Miller
Land Rover

anyone that is interested in this kit but has a RHD, I spoke with the folks at Nostalgic air and the have an under dash kit for rhd part number U-170, $259.95
Old March 6th, 2012, 10:21 PM
323jamie
jamie
83 D110 RHD 300tdi Disco conversion

Registry
Wondering if you can source some of the parts from a disco in a wrecking yard?
Old March 8th, 2012, 04:25 PM
winn442
Winn Bearden

Registry
Who told you about the chevy unit working? About three years ago I did the research and measuring and took a chance and ordered one. When it worked, I called and told them that in the future, they should offer it for defenders.

While I was installing it, I also added another smaller unit mounted behind the rear bulkhead...bet I've got the coldest 90 in the states!
Old March 8th, 2012, 04:43 PM
323jamie
jamie
83 D110 RHD 300tdi Disco conversion

Registry
I have looked at Montero ac systems and they are very simple and small and are pretty cold do you think an adaption would work?
Old March 8th, 2012, 06:48 PM
jjstahl3
Jay S
96 D1 TReK

Registry
thanks for posting this - I am so going to do it - just ordered the 2 uk parts -
Old March 16th, 2012, 12:15 AM
jjstahl3
Jay S
96 D1 TReK

Registry
My crank pulley does not have a spot for a third belt on my 200tdi what cranks pulley do I need? One off a 300tdi?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

BUY SOME HATS --->

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old March 16th, 2012, 01:34 AM
texrover
Jason
71 SIIA, 03 RR, 94 D90 (PO), 83 110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by winn442 View Post
Who told you about the chevy unit working? About three years ago I did the research and measuring and took a chance and ordered one. When it worked, I called and told them that in the future, they should offer it for defenders.

While I was installing it, I also added another smaller unit mounted behind the rear bulkhead...bet I've got the coldest 90 in the states!
Any chance you could show us the double AC set up?
Old March 16th, 2012, 05:42 AM
draaronr
Here
LR3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjstahl3 View Post
My crank pulley does not have a spot for a third belt on my 200tdi what cranks pulley do I need? One off a 300tdi?
here's the part number for the item you seek. ERC6859
they are tough to find, but I bought a few new ones years ago.
Old March 16th, 2012, 10:06 AM
aosias
Alexandra
1995 D90

Registry
Any chance you would have photos of the rear set up and be willing to provide some explanation of the install? Curious about how it came out.

Quote:

Old March 16th, 2012, 11:29 AM
piekas
Pierre Jourda
1987 Defender 110

Quote:

It just "looked" like it could work. I called them and got detailed measurements. Sure enough, as you know it not only fits but looks like it was meant to be.
Old March 16th, 2012, 11:54 AM
jjstahl3
Jay S
96 D1 TReK

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by draaronr View Post
here's the part number for the item you seek. ERC6859
they are tough to find, but I bought a few new ones years ago.
can anyone confirm that this will work? there is no picture for reference

http://www.johncraddockltd.co.uk/pro...and_p_a_s_.php

its actually this part now I think

http://www.johncraddockltd.co.uk/pro...and_aircon.php
Old March 16th, 2012, 12:08 PM
draaronr
Here
LR3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjstahl3 View Post
can anyone confirm that this will work? there is no picture for reference

http://www.johncraddockltd.co.uk/pro...and_p_a_s_.php

its actually this part now I think

http://www.johncraddockltd.co.uk/pro...and_aircon.php
I've used it.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
300tdi, tdi