300tdi 5 Row Radiator Shop? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 1st, 2013, 12:23 PM
sea2sumag
Sean Gorman
1994 D-90 300 TDI

300tdi 5 Row Radiator Shop?

Has anyone out there had a shop install a 5 row core on their 300tdi radiator? My local shop says there isnt a core that fits, but I know that people have done it. Can you help me either find the core, or let me know of the shop so I can ship it to them to have it done. I'm in southern California, so if anyone knows a shop down here even better.

I really appreciate the help,

Sean
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 1st, 2013, 01:37 PM
Capt Milks
Mike
Defender V-8, Defender 2.25

Are you running hot?
Old May 1st, 2013, 01:39 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by sea2sumag View Post
Has anyone out there had a shop install a 5 row core on their 300tdi radiator? My local shop says there isnt a core that fits, but I know that people have done it. Can you help me either find the core, or let me know of the shop so I can ship it to them to have it done. I'm in southern California, so if anyone knows a shop down here even better.

I really appreciate the help,

Sean
Yes we get them done locally all the time and if memory serves me they run between $500 and $600.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 1st, 2013, 02:18 PM
sea2sumag
Sean Gorman
1994 D-90 300 TDI

I have a lifted 90 with roof tent and when I'm in hot weather with the a/c on it get up around 105 on the temp gauge. Even under long heavy load it starts to get up over a hundred. I had the radiator cleaned out and the guy said he'd have to make a custom core and had a 1500 dollar estimate.
Old May 1st, 2013, 02:53 PM
crobinson
Chris Robinson
97' D1

Contact Pendy. I bet he could hook you up with a custom aluminum unit for less than that.
Old May 1st, 2013, 02:58 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
I have a great shop that rebuilt mine. with a 2.8 pushing a heavy bitch 110 SW I rarely get up to 190F now. You don't need more cores, you need bigger rows and more tubes. This is the spec for my rebuilt radiator that is the bomb proof perfect radiator for my TDI in all conditions. Cost me $500 and doubt I'll ever need another radiator again:

radiator mod
higher tube count in same size core
3/8" apart instead of vs 9/16"
fin count was 16 vs normal 12
core was increased to 3" vs 2.5"
reduce bypass hole to about pencil size (tropical mod)

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Old May 1st, 2013, 07:24 PM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

Quote:
I have a lifted 90 with roof tent and when I'm in hot weather with the a/c on it get up around 105 on the temp gauge. Even under long heavy load it starts to get up over a hundred.
Ummm 105 does not sound that high?

What is the normal operating range for a 300 and what is the max?
Old May 1st, 2013, 07:54 PM
Viton
Deaf Ember
Smart 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_lucas View Post
Ummm 105 does not sound that high?

What is the normal operating range for a 300 and what is the max?
Normal factory T-stat is 192*F for the 300Tdi, I'm trying to get my hotter, built a custom 198*F and installed and my IR gun states 172*F at the T-stat housing when up to temperature ( gauge shows 190*F). I've also built a 205*F T-stat for it but haven't tried it out yet.

The math to do C to F is, C x 1.8 + 32 = F
F to C is, F degrees -32, Divided by 1.8 = C
Old May 1st, 2013, 09:45 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Why not just buy an aftermarket replacement? I think I paid about $300 for mine from British Pacific. I don't even run the fan on mine unless I'm sitting in traffic for extended periods or in a slow moving off road situation.
Old May 2nd, 2013, 11:21 AM
sea2sumag
Sean Gorman
1994 D-90 300 TDI

Mine never gets hot off road. It's only on long pulls up hill of driving 80 on the highway with the a/c on. It will run about 100 normally on the highway. It was never a problem before I installed air conditioning. It always comes right back down when I stop or slow down. That would indicate to me that there just isn't enough cooling capacity.
Old May 2nd, 2013, 11:46 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
Quote:
Mine never gets hot off road. It's only on long pulls up hill of driving 80 on the highway with the a/c on. It will run about 100 normally on the highway. It was never a problem before I installed air conditioning. It always comes right back down when I stop or slow down. That would indicate to me that there just isn't enough cooling capacity.
exactly my issue before radiator mod

Old May 2nd, 2013, 08:24 PM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlander

exactly my issue before radiator mod
Not uncommon and your spec is pretty much the cure. You can still improve the core and add a row,which I've had to do a couple of times with hefty 110s and especially those with 2.8s

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
new expansion complete. Not only are we the only Rover shop in Eliot Maine...now we're also the biggest.

"Dedicated to the resurrection of junk through engineering?"
Old May 3rd, 2013, 09:51 AM
michael67
Michael White
110 Tdi

I had one built here in Austin by Mr. Cool:

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...13&postcount=1

I think the shop that built the radiator part is based in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area. The shop here in Austin just put the original radiator connectors & oil cooler on.
Old May 3rd, 2013, 09:59 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by junkyddog11 View Post
Not uncommon and your spec is pretty much the cure. You can still improve the core and add a row,which I've had to do a couple of times with hefty 110s and especially those with 2.8s
it was an expensive lesson that cost me a head and 2 turbos to figure out.

Old May 4th, 2013, 05:05 PM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

Yup, haven't lost a turbo to that but several heads have been replaced.

------ Follow up post added May 4th, 2013 05:09 PM ------

And it's an expensive deal to pull off. Turned out (IMO) that the least expensive part of a 2.8 conversion was the motor. Still worth it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
new expansion complete. Not only are we the only Rover shop in Eliot Maine...now we're also the biggest.

"Dedicated to the resurrection of junk through engineering?"
Old May 4th, 2013, 09:30 PM
crown14
Verticalscrote
Volkswagen Super Beetle
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
If you can run in a cool temp without the engine fan and it doesn't overheat, the radiator capacity isn't the problem. I kept the factory radiator and I upgraded to a full size intercooler and saw drastic reduction in heat soak. Such a small diesel in a heavy truck has to work hard and deserves an intercooler that will actually work. Just my opinion

*this was in a disco fwiw
Old June 2nd, 2013, 05:19 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
I was just thinking, What about using a V8 radiator and installing a bigger intercooler in front of the radiator, instead of next to it.
Old June 2nd, 2013, 06:02 PM
Viton
Deaf Ember
Smart 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jymmiejamz View Post
I was just thinking, What about using a V8 radiator and installing a bigger intercooler in front of the radiator, instead of next to it.
Will the width of the V8 rad. allow enough room for the passage of the intercooler hoses or connections ? And are the V8 rad. hose connections in approx. the same places as the Tdi rad.?
Old December 12th, 2013, 12:25 PM
mgreenspan
Matthew Greenspan
Land Rovers

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlander View Post
I have a great shop that rebuilt mine. with a 2.8 pushing a heavy bitch 110 SW I rarely get up to 190F now. You don't need more cores, you need bigger rows and more tubes. This is the spec for my rebuilt radiator that is the bomb proof perfect radiator for my TDI in all conditions. Cost me $500 and doubt I'll ever need another radiator again:

radiator mod
higher tube count in same size core
3/8" apart instead of vs 9/16"
fin count was 16 vs normal 12
core was increased to 3" vs 2.5"
reduce bypass hole to about pencil size (tropical mod)
I'm not knowledgeable on this stuff. Are these 300tdi original specs the same or similar specs to a 200tdi radiator? I've finally found a local place that can do this and want to make sure I'm not talking crazy talk to the guy when I give him a visit.

I also know Rob Davis has posted about upgraded specs so if you are reading this Rob let me know what you suggest. I've got a SL35TI in my truck and it creates gobs of heat after extended use on the highway so that temps sit just above normal. There was an article in an older issues of LRM that nobody could find with a build of a yellow 130 named "Pilgrim" that had the same engine and I would do exactly what he did except I remember it being a full size radiator and I'd rather keep the stock 200tdi rad/intercooler setup than go full size on both. That and I can't find the article so I don't even remember what he put into his.

You little rebel, I like you.
Old January 2nd, 2015, 09:05 PM
mgreenspan
Matthew Greenspan
Land Rovers

Registry
electrical relay question

deleted

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
300tdi, radiator