300 tdi with a/c loses power - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 12th, 2008, 09:33 PM
discotdi
Todd Miller
Land Rover

300 tdi with a/c loses power

I have a 300 tdi in my Disco. It has the r380 and proper transfer case for a 300tdi. Runs and drives fine but with the use of the A/c it really lacks power on start off on a hill or incline. Today I was on a pretty steep incline and had to turn off the A/C to get power, thought it was going to die on me.
has anyone had similar probs. or any suggestions other than don't use the air.

thanks for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 12th, 2008, 09:42 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

How bad is it? Like odd loss of power or just loss of power? If you have not tuned the fuel pump (more power) your just feeling the result of a 111hp motor in a heavy truck lose a few ponies.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old July 12th, 2008, 09:51 PM
discotdi
Todd Miller
Land Rover

not an odd loss. I assume it is just the a/c taking power although it is significant enough that I am considering turning off the air when stopped on a steep hill etc. It does feel like it might go dead it really chugs along like trying to start in third instead of first.

I have not tuned the engine at all. I would like too but I am not much of a mechanic. What should I do to get more power without shortening the life of the engine? I don't really know how many miles are on it. I did not do the conversion myself. The guy I bought it from said it had been rebuilt only about 5-6k miles before I bought it. I don't really believe this though because it has some serious oil leaks which I would not expect on a rebuilt eng. I have put about 12k miles on it in the past 7 months. drive it as my daily commuter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 12th, 2008, 11:57 PM
cdb
Clark Bowen
1969 Series 2a/OM617 Bugeye 88"

Todd...

I have a 300 TDi in my Defender and even with big exhaust, a higher wastegate popoff and increased injector pressure I had exactly the same problem in hot weather at Moab. I did the same thing and turned off the a/c.
May be the nature of the beast.

Clark
Old July 13th, 2008, 12:52 AM
discotdi
Todd Miller
Land Rover

thanks clark,

I love this Disco but I can't imagine using it as intended i.e. towing heavy trailers etc. I read in LRO about people claiming it is such a great tow vehicle. I don't think my Disco could tow the 7,000lb weight that the owners manual claims. maybe in low range at 15 mph.
Bummer to hear that all of the power upgrades you've done did not help the A/C problem. I have been thinking about a bigger exhaust. I have a friend with a 300tdi D90 and he installed a 3 inch exhaust, made a huge difference. But he does not have A/C.

TM
Old July 13th, 2008, 11:19 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdb
Todd...

I have a 300 TDi in my Defender and even with big exhaust, a higher wastegate popoff and increased injector pressure I had exactly the same problem in hot weather at Moab. I did the same thing and turned off the a/c.
May be the nature of the beast.

Clark
Can you give more details about the higher wastegate popoff? I have not heard of that mod before.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old July 14th, 2008, 06:47 PM
cdb
Clark Bowen
1969 Series 2a/OM617 Bugeye 88"

"wastegate popoff" _ I may have said it wrong but my understanding is that you can increase the point where the wastegate opens and thereby increase the turbo boost.
Correct?

Clark
Old July 15th, 2008, 01:57 AM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

You can send it up to me next winter. I'll fix the oil leaks and get it tuned and running better for you.

Jim Pendleton

Advice is only as good as the person applying it--
Don't make me give you bad advice!

Lemons or lemonaide, whatever your taste provides.
Old July 15th, 2008, 09:42 AM
discotdi
Todd Miller
Land Rover

I would love to have it "tuned" by the famous or is it infamous Pendy! you are a bit far away though. how can I reach you to talk turkey?
thx,
Todd
Old July 17th, 2008, 06:02 AM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdb
"wastegate popoff" _ I may have said it wrong but my understanding is that you can increase the point where the wastegate opens and thereby increase the turbo boost.
Correct?

Clark
Thereby increasing the rate at which you have to replace your head gaskets.

I have noticed that the newer version of the AC system does not seem to bother the diesels anywhere nearly as much as the older version. Converted old V8 junk seems to offer the most resistance. I've installed a couple of the newer systems lately and it doesn't seem to make a noticable difference. Also put one on a 2.8 Powerstroke, but can't remember if there was any issues with that.

new expansion complete. Not only are we the only Rover shop in Eliot Maine...now we're also the biggest.

"Dedicated to the resurrection of junk through engineering?"
Old July 17th, 2008, 10:18 AM
discotdi
Todd Miller
Land Rover

Well, I have a disco which has "old v8 junk" I guess. would it make a difference if I changed compressors or is the whole system is flawed? I don't know the part number on my comp. will have to see if it is written on it.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
300 tdi, tdi