300 Tdi Water Pump Noise ?? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 8th, 2009, 11:21 AM
Viton
Deaf Ember
Smart 4x4

300 Tdi Water Pump Noise ??

About a month ago I started hearing a noise that I had not heard before. It's a "buzzing" type of noise, and varies in pitch, according to RPM's. I thought it might be something to do with the timing belt or the flex plate (yes, I do have a Zf4HP22) might be rubbing something. In trying to track down the source, I 1st removed the fan, no change. Then I removed the serpentine belt, no noise. So I started spinning & wiggling the various pully's, all seem fine except the water pump, it does have some up & down play in it but it's not leaking any fluid. Is this "play" normal or should I just go ahead & relace the pump. I surmise the "buzzing" noise might actually be the pump blades rubbing the housing (internally) under the tesions of the sepentine belt.

OR... could this buzzing noise be coming from the alternator?

Dennis
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 27th, 2010, 11:55 AM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

I acquired a new noise a week ago. I thought it was the fan belt so I used some belt dressing. It wasn't. It seems to be coming from somewhere else. It sounds like crickets but 2x the speed and it varies in pitch depending on the RPM's. If i hit the clutch it goes away fairly quickly. Any idea what this could be?
Old September 27th, 2010, 12:01 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
Dennis, where did you source the pump?

Cricket noise I am almost positive is the serp belt tensioner bearing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 27th, 2010, 12:04 PM
ajh
Andrew J. Hutton
1993 Defender 110 200TDI

On my 200 the water pump shaft is where the squeal is coming from. I isolated this by spraying a bit of white lithium in behind the pulley and the noise stopped for a bit. I assume that I have a while before it goes, but I better order one up.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Parts & Accessories Imported Weekly

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Like us on Facebook for a discount on parts!

- Handmade Soap ideal for Mechanics!
Old September 27th, 2010, 12:10 PM
Viton
Deaf Ember
Smart 4x4

The pump was the original on a new engine. I finally replaced it a few weeks ago even though it was not leaking. Once the serp belt was removed, the pump did have play in the pulley on it. I bought the replacement in 2001 from George @ RDS and just now installed it. By the way, all the noise is gone. Upon removal of the old one, you could see that the pump blades were rubbing the housing that it sets into, buy very slightly with no significant wear. I bought my new spare from Atlantic British.
Old September 27th, 2010, 02:08 PM
JFD
Julien Dalbin
05 Tdi 90

can be the belt tensioner, there is a specific thread about that, you can change the bearing just in case.
Old September 27th, 2010, 10:30 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
Crickets

Just came in from changing the bearing in my tensioner. I changed it already once last October. It started chirping in the last few weeks. So, I swapped it out, started her up, and it was even worse!

hmmm, sez I...

Took the belt off, turned it around, crickets gone. For now, I assume.

Guess ultimately the solution is either a new tensioner, or more frequent belt changes.
Old September 27th, 2010, 11:15 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

I got a new serp belt two years ago. How often should they be replaced? I love my Defender more than any vehicle I've ever owned but they sure are needy! There's always something that needs tending to, especially if you use it as a daily driver. Damn crickets, not a fan.
Old September 28th, 2010, 11:27 AM
Viton
Deaf Ember
Smart 4x4

I ran mine at least 5 years, but I do carry a spare... just in case.
Old September 28th, 2010, 11:49 AM
JFD
Julien Dalbin
05 Tdi 90

bearing swap:

http://www.reedx.net/landrover/maint...oner/index.htm

I did it a few months ago, put a new gatorback belt and goodbye crickets .
Old April 18th, 2011, 10:13 AM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

I finally got rid of my serpentine belt noise. Turns out it was the tensioner after all. I just sprayed it with some WD-40 and it went away.

Question. Does the squeal mean it's time to replace/rebuild the tensioner or is it just one of those things that are to be expected with this engine? If the bearing is going I'd like to know beforehand so I can order the parts.
Old April 18th, 2011, 10:15 AM
ajh
Andrew J. Hutton
1993 Defender 110 200TDI

Last time I did mine I found that cleaning and re-greasing the old one was quieter and lasted longer than just dropping in a new sealed unit. If you carefully remove the bearing seals it's not difficult but just make sure everything looks new inside and there is no visible wear.

- Parts & Accessories Imported Weekly

- Like us on Facebook for a discount on parts!

- Handmade Soap ideal for Mechanics!
Old May 10th, 2011, 09:40 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

I may have to inspect and replace the bearings. It is getting worse and lubricating it will only get rid of the noise momentarily. Where would I source a new bearing if the old one is worn? And what does worn look like?
Old May 11th, 2011, 12:47 AM
TS888
Tony Sims
1984 110

Carl, it's a pretty inexpensive bearing, just replace it. McGuire Bearing in SE Portland will be able to sell you a replacement, take the old one there and let them match it. Remember when you take out the bolt through the pulley, it is reverse thread (loosens clockwise).
Originally Posted by chris snell
This is straight out of the Manual for Build Builders.
Tony
1984 110 "Smokey" (sold)
Old May 11th, 2011, 01:39 AM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Thanks Tony. I will do that. Any special tricks to remove the bearing from the pulley?
Old May 11th, 2011, 01:45 AM
TS888
Tony Sims
1984 110

The bearing is held by a spring clip, it's an easy swap.
Originally Posted by chris snell
This is straight out of the Manual for Build Builders.
Tony
1984 110 "Smokey" (sold)
Old May 11th, 2011, 06:59 PM
moose
Brett
Ex-Mod Tdi 110 Hard Top

Registry
The tensioner bearing is SKF 6203-2RSH1. Very common bearing and any decent bearing shop will have loads of them.

Brett
Old May 11th, 2011, 07:39 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Thanks Brett! Seems like a pretty straightforward job. Will hopefully get to it this weekend.
Old May 12th, 2011, 11:48 AM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

The place was on the way to work so I stopped and picked one up. You were right. It's one of the most common there is. I got an Axis bearing for $3.48. The SKF are $11 and according to them tests show same performance. Fingers crossed the squeal goes away this weekend when I swap it out.
Old May 14th, 2011, 06:00 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

The Circlip. Do I need a special tool for it? It's not coming out.

------ Follow up post added May 14th, 2011 06:12 PM ------

I used the dremel to drill it out. Its not really needed is it? Do I need to replace it or can I run it without?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
300 tdi, tdi, water, water pump