300 Tdi Water Pump Noise ?? - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 14th, 2011, 11:34 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

The tensioner bearing has been replaced. I started it up immediately after and the noise was gone. 20 min later I start it and the squeal is back. ???? So can't possibly be the tensioner pulley bearing then, right? Is it the water pump? I will replace the belt tomorrow just in case.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 15th, 2011, 02:13 AM
Viton
Deaf Ember
Smart 4x4

When you have the serp belt off, push & pull on the water pump pulley to see if it has any play in it. Mine had a bunch of up & down play it wasn't leaking but the noise was coming from the pump. The pump blades were touching the main housing. The noise might be coming from the alternator too. Check for play there as well.
Old May 15th, 2011, 09:42 AM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

If there is play in either does that mean complete replacement of alternator or water pump or are there bearings or others parts that can be replaced on those as well?
Advertisement

Old May 15th, 2011, 10:47 AM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
If you want this to go away, change the water pump, change the tensioner for a new one, and change the belt. All at the same time.
Old May 15th, 2011, 12:33 PM
Viton
Deaf Ember
Smart 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manimal View Post
If there is play in either does that mean complete replacement of alternator or water pump or are there bearings or others parts that can be replaced on those as well?
Bearing in the alternator could be replaced at an alternator shop, but the water pump would be a swap out.

I'm a believer in keeping some spares on hand as I won't be able to pop down to the local parts house and even buy a serp belt for the 300tdi. If on a trip, a blown water pump or serp belt could have you spending least a day or 2 in some place you'd rather not be.
Old May 15th, 2011, 04:26 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Is it necessary to change the complete tensioner assembly when the bearing has just been replaced on the pulley? What is is there on that assembly that could cause noise? The tensioner arm moving up & down? I'm reluctant to spend $200 on a new assembly when I just changed the bearing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ren Ching
If you want this to go away, change the water pump, change the tensioner for a new one, and change the belt. All at the same time.
Old May 15th, 2011, 08:10 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

I changed the belt out and the noise disappeared for now. I am ordering back up belts and water pump. Is any play at all acceptable? I have about 1MM play in the tensioner pulley. Same for alternator. No play on water pump. Is 1MM considered normal or should they be absolutely rock solid?
Old May 23rd, 2011, 11:38 AM
defeyago
Santiago
96 Defender 110 VGTdi SW County

Registry
Hi guys! Its most probably the tensioner itself that is not working perfectly parallel with the rest of the pulleys. You can see that the tensioner leans in the back-front way because the spring is busted.

You can see pictures of what Im talking about and even some videos of the before and after of changing the complete tensioner. You can use google translate if you want to read what I wrote, but just watching at the pictures/video youll figure it out.

http://www.landroverclub.com.ar/viewtopic.php?p=124

Regards,
04 Freelander Td4 5 dr.
97 Alfa Romeo 146 TD (Sold)
95 Volvo 850 GLT Estate
94 Discovery Tdi (Webasto equipped)
Old April 15th, 2012, 05:24 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Dennis. I just took the water pump off. Was your pump blades metal or plastic? My original was metal but replacement is plastic. I can't tell if the original blades rubbed or not. I guess I will find out soon enough. Is it worthwhile to rebuild the pump and replace the bearing? It's in pretty good shape and I will keep as a back up if it's possible to rebuild it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis
When you have the serp belt off, push & pull on the water pump pulley to see if it has any play in it. Mine had a bunch of up & down play it wasn't leaking but the noise was coming from the pump. The pump blades were touching the main housing. The noise might be coming from the alternator too. Check for play there as well.
Old April 15th, 2012, 09:19 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Noise gone
Old May 23rd, 2012, 07:50 PM
Jackie Treehorn
A
1985 (legitimately)

Registry
where did you source your water pump?
My 300 Tdi is displaying the exact symptoms and there is significant play in the water pump shaft when I remove the belt and spin it freely.

My belt has been squealing when cold and mostly when damp. Today it squealed even after warmed up. Applied belt dressing and it went away, then a chirping, clacking noise.

I'm thinking that the belt was slipping on the WP for a while and when it became sticky and actually gripped from the belt dresssing all hell broke loose. I'm almost 100% certain it's my WP, although unlike American cars that start to leak when the bearings/seal goes, there is no evidence of leaking???

I think I'm going to start with the water pump and serp belt. Where should I start to look (RN, AB, other?) want it quickly.
Old May 23rd, 2012, 09:40 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

I got mine from Rovahfarm I think.
Old May 23rd, 2012, 10:33 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Got mine from George @ RDS.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old May 24th, 2012, 08:00 AM
Jackie Treehorn
A
1985 (legitimately)

Registry
THanks Carl & Jason.

I have used Rovahfarm before and he's pretty good with prices but sometimes he's hard to get a hold of. I'll give him a try first but if he's not picking up the phone, I'm moving on to RDS as Jason suggests.

Seems pretty straightforward, but are there any quirks? or is there anything else I should inspect/replace while I'm in theer (aside from the belt of course).
Old May 24th, 2012, 08:16 AM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I'd say your p-gasket while you're in there....it's a metal gasket between the water pump housing bracket and the block. It's a cheap part and easy enough to do while you're that far (this leaking p-gasket is what prompted me to proactively change my water pump).
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Old May 24th, 2012, 08:21 AM
Gren_T
Gren Thomas
1985 90 300tdi auto

I would clean out the grooves on the pulley's before fitting the new belt, you will find small bits of rubber in the grooves which cause the belt to squirm, the belt noise is often due to rubber to rubber contact.
regards all
Gren
Old May 24th, 2012, 08:38 AM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I believe the part # is PET100790. Also, I used hylamar to seal it up based on a few things I read. Hasn't leaked since I did it awhile ago.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Old May 24th, 2012, 07:03 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

While you're doing all that check out the alignment on the tensioner as well. The bearing inside the tensioner pulley will have to be replaced at some point (just like the water pump) since they wear out after a certain number of miles. Also the base of the tensioner can warp and cause misalignment although this seems to be a more rare problem.
Old June 4th, 2012, 08:15 AM
Jackie Treehorn
A
1985 (legitimately)

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manimal View Post
While you're doing all that check out the alignment on the tensioner as well. The bearing inside the tensioner pulley will have to be replaced at some point (just like the water pump) since they wear out after a certain number of miles. Also the base of the tensioner can warp and cause misalignment although this seems to be a more rare problem.
I installed the water pump along with a new serp belt. While I was in there I took the tensioner pulley in for closer inspection. The bearing (a sealed bearing) was fine and I felt confident re-installing the tensioner with the existing bearing. I don't know how to check it for mis-alignment or being warped other than looking at it.

So it ran quiet for a day, then the sqealing came back! I probably made a mistake by spraying some more belt dressing on there but it went away temporarily. Now it's back.

I noticed that the flat side of the belt is what drives the PS pump. Maybe that's what's slipping? I don't know where to look now, but at least I don't feel like I wasted my time on the water pump, that thing was smoked anyway (can't believe it wasn't leaking)

Ayy suggestions where to look for the squealing? should I let the belt dressing cook off and be patient? did I create additional problems by applying belt dressing? Is the tensioner the prime suspect?

HELP, this noise is driving me crazy!
Old June 4th, 2012, 09:49 AM
defeyago
Santiago
96 Defender 110 VGTdi SW County

Registry
Hi Jackie: In the following post from our Argentinian LR Club you can see differences between a good tensioner and a warped one. Even see a video with the old warped one and the chirping, and a video with the new one installed and the chirping gone. Its in spanish but you can look at the pictures/videos (or use google translate)

http://landroverclub.com.ar/viewtopic.php?t=33

Cheers,
04 Freelander Td4 5 dr.
97 Alfa Romeo 146 TD (Sold)
95 Volvo 850 GLT Estate
94 Discovery Tdi (Webasto equipped)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
300 tdi, tdi, water, water pump