300 TDI tuning. - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 23rd, 2005, 01:35 PM
tobit3
J-thon Yonan

300 TDI tuning.

I would like to put a allard intercooler and water cooled turbo. Here is the questions???

What would be the best water cooled turbo to use? Mitsu or Garret and which ones, for example I was thinking of using a Mitsubushi TD 04, water-cooled, but most likely too small. The flanges may be a concern as well.

Second question is where/how to tap in to the engine coolant. Any pictures or comments from your experience with the water lines would be great. I know ECR does this conversion but I am a bit hesitant to ask them what they do since I have never spent a dime with them and it would'nt feel right.

Also, what max boost preasure is safe to run. Manual boost controler or electronic?, I would love to hear from some of you TDI folk out there on tuning them. This is for a 110 generally used, not rock crawler. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 31st, 2005, 05:34 AM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond
110 200Tdi and a 2005 Scorpa SY250

Registry
15 - 19 psi for the boost.
Turn the fuel up there's a post/thread out there to tell you how.
Stick the big intercooler on and you'll be surprised at the improvement, you might not even want the watercooled turbo.
Old December 31st, 2005, 02:40 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Mike, what about if you have A/C? I know the big inter cooler does not fit then.
Advertisement

Old December 31st, 2005, 03:31 PM
sheki
David Shechter
97' D90 SW 2.8L diesel

I pulled my AC in order to assure the fit a large intercooler; however, the intercooler wasn't the definitive reason why I pulled the AC. There was a strong possiblilty the 45mm core would fit with the AC condensor. I also wanted to run a York compressor for an onboard air system, that was the main reason for pulling the AC. AlliSport uses a 60mm core for their large intercoolers, after talking to Andy at AlliSport he said a 45mm core would probably fit and made one up for me.
A wang is another word for, you guessed it, A DICK!

Nothing racist, just pure DICK!
Old January 1st, 2006, 08:38 AM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond

Registry
Here's the link to the thread about fuel pump 'tuning'
http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...8&page=3&pp=15
took some while to track down as it was hidden in another thread.
It's reply no. 35.

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDI Guy
Mike, what about if you have A/C? I know the big inter cooler does not fit then.
I still haven't got round to the big intercooler yet
A/C not an issue in GB, it's heat in the cab I need not more cold air
Old January 1st, 2006, 11:45 AM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

For a 300Tdi setup: Allard has told me that their IC will fit in AC trucks - see pics below. But no way I'm spending that kind of money - $700 I believe.

Then I considered a water/air setup because, well, because you get better performance in general and especially when moving slowly. This would involve its own pump, radiator and fan. The radiator will be in the space of the stock IC, a good fan behind it and a PWR IC mounted vertically. These PWR units are compact and easy to fit. The question is are they any good. I've had the hardest time getting PWR (Australia) to refer me to people actually using them in 90/110's.

Now, I'm back to an in front air/air setup. The stock fan is always operating and adding another one to span the entire width (in a 300Tdi) will always have flow through the IC. Sure, it's not as efficient as the water/air but does it have to be? With only 150HP or less going on here I say it's more than needed.

Having it done locally is best. Tubes will be both on the right side, pretty much in the stock position. IC will locate just before the radiator not in front of AC.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Allard1.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	4699   Click image for larger version

Name:	Allard2.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	4700  

Name:	Allard3.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	4701  
Old January 1st, 2006, 11:49 AM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
That is good to know. I think I will tackle this in the summer when I have some $$. I really want the A/C first. ITs hot here in the summer
Old January 1st, 2006, 01:06 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Randy - I'm not sure if I mentioned it before or not, but I installed a 97 A/C in my truck. After going over it with George at RDS, the 97 really is the nicest-looking setup and is packaged as a kit which makes everything that much easier. An electrical engineer buddy of mine and I figured out the wiring to bypass the ECU (which actually isn't difficult at all) . I had the hoses made at a Thermo-King place - They're the company that makes trailer reefer units, so they have lots of locations and they did a great job on my truck. Just let me know if you need info.
Old January 1st, 2006, 06:37 PM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond

Registry
Would the air/water set-up have left you much change from $700.00, it sounds complicated?
Old January 1st, 2006, 08:13 PM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

Air/air I can do it for $350 or less with a full size IC. Cheaper still if you go with a generic Chinese IC.

Water/air is about $450 or less so the savings are real.

Not complicated at all:

1. fit radiator in space of stock IC.
2 .fit a pull fan behind it
3. mount the IC, tubing
4. fit pump and hoses to circulate fluid.

After researching it to death, I've decided on air/air with a 2" IC.
Old January 2nd, 2006, 10:02 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

I hope you guys see huge improvements, but you may be surprised. Just to ad my .02, you do not need an uprated turbo. You can adjust the fuel and boost to about 17 psi which is really all you want. From there, the intercooler will really not make much/any difference, at least it didn't with mine. In fact, I felt no difference at all in the power with the larger intercooler, I also saw no change in my EGT's. What made a much bigger difference was the 3in/no muffler exaust. It could be just the company I used, but I would not waist any money or time on all this. Think about this, it sounds like $350 is the cheapest you can do this for. Probably much more with that expensive blue intercooler tube in the pic. For $500 you can pick up a propane injection kit and slap that on there and feel a big improvement.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old January 2nd, 2006, 10:59 PM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

So you ran 17psi with the stock IC and no increase in EGT? I would think the larger IC would help in EGT's.

I agree, no need to waste money on a turbo. I also agree that you do your exhaust first as it's the least common denominator in this upgrade.
Old January 3rd, 2006, 01:15 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by artm
So you ran 17psi with the stock IC and no increase in EGT? I would think the larger IC would help in EGT's.

I agree, no need to waste money on a turbo. I also agree that you do your exhaust first as it's the least common denominator in this upgrade.
Sorry,

I was a little confusing. I saw an increase in my EGT's when the boost was adjusted and I ran the stock IC. When I went to an aftermarket intercooler I saw no change in the higher EGT and felt no change in performance. I hope you do!

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old January 3rd, 2006, 01:34 AM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond

Registry
Buck, what size was your aftermarket intercooler?

I was hoping you'd chip in

Follow-up Post:

My truck now pulls the 1.222:1 transfer box with 235/85's and standard diff ratios
Old January 3rd, 2006, 06:06 PM
roverboy
Thomas
Booger

propane injection kit? do tell....
Old January 3rd, 2006, 06:33 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
how do you adjust the boost and how do I check what mine is now? I have no clue about diesel stuff..
Old January 3rd, 2006, 10:33 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeslandrover
Buck, what size was your aftermarket intercooler?

I was hoping you'd chip in

Follow-up Post:

My truck now pulls the 1.222:1 transfer box with 235/85's and standard diff ratios
Its the Twisted Performance with AC model. Not sure on the size. I would recommend staying away from that company all together.

As to the propane, to massively simplify it, you inject it and it acts as a catalyst to burn all of the unused fuel left in the combustion chamber, (people argue about this, but this is the consensus, everybody seems to be an expert) It usually does not effect egt's but increases gas milage. Depending on how efficient your motor is (300 are not at all with no computer) you can get power increases of up to 40%. You need somewhere between 2 and 3 gallons per ten gallons of Diesel. You can buy systems in lots of places. Bully Dog sells a nice unit that you can convert to run on the 300.

Randy,

Pendy sent me a nice diagram of the pump and walked me through how to make the adjustments. I don't remember anymore or have the drawing but I bet he will help you. He is the Yoda of LR Diesel.

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old January 4th, 2006, 12:36 AM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

Yoda leh eh who!

The intercooler itself does not create more power. It helps to maintain the EGT when the engine is boosted and fueled, That is the most basic way to thinks about it.

I usually have people call me if I can not be there to turn the screws. But here is a diagram.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ve_pump_adjustments.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	31.6 KB
ID:	4707  

Advice is only as good as the person applying it--
Don't make me give you bad advice!

Lemons or lemonaide, whatever your taste provides.
Old January 4th, 2006, 08:51 AM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
This will help too: http://dodgeram.org/tech/dsl/more_power/Power_ve.htm

Go a little at a time. Small changes in the delivery, smoke screw make for big differences.
Old January 4th, 2006, 12:15 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Yoda huh.. LOL I will be your Luke... When IT comes time Pendy, Im callin u. We only carry the green light saber while pendy has the almighty red one I guess

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
300 tdi, tdi