300 Tdi timing slip - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 16th, 2016, 03:01 PM
spaeth
Craig Spaeth
93 RRC LWB 300TDI

300 Tdi timing slip

I had my timing belt done by a local shop and driving it away I made it about 10 miles and the Rover died. It is a 300 Tdi engine. The shop said that the bolts were all tight for the injection timing but that the injection pump slipped and threw the timing off. The new belt was fine. If the bolts were still tight it doesn't make sense to me that the timing could be off.

Trying to make sure that something gets corrected and not just put back together and hope it works. Anyone heard of such a thing with a 300Tdi?

thanks
Craig
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 16th, 2016, 03:03 PM
javelinadave
-
-

I highly doubt their explanation but if it's running fine then they fixed the problem. Something must have been left loose and they fixed it with the new belt installation.
Old May 16th, 2016, 03:05 PM
Naplm00
Matthew
1983 110 200tdi 3 door soft top

Is strange, maybe they loosened the pump nut? Or they lied and forgot to torque the lock plate bolts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 16th, 2016, 03:13 PM
spaeth
Craig Spaeth
93 RRC LWB 300TDI

I don't have the Rover back yet. I told them I would prefer it if the bolts were just left loose because at least then we would have a reason why it died and something to actually make right so it wouldn't happen again. So from what I am hearing there really isn't a way for the the injection timing to be off if the bolts have been torqued properly?
Old May 16th, 2016, 03:19 PM
Ash
Ash Heller
OM606 110 Frankenstein
D-90 Source Vendor

On just a simple belt change there's no reason to mess with the IP pulley bolts. Sounds like they maybe forgot to torque the belt tensioner properly and it backed off.

-Ash

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

352-572-3236

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old May 16th, 2016, 03:31 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash View Post
On just a simple belt change there's no reason to mess with the IP pulley bolts. Sounds like they maybe forgot to torque the belt tensioner properly and it backed off.

-Ash
??? You need to loosen and retighten the bolts to set the timing when changing the belt.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old May 20th, 2016, 02:11 AM
Thiemo
Thiemo Ebersberger
1989 4 door pick up 110

Common mistake made by non land rover guys.
There is no reason to loosen the main nut on the pump shaft and they probably didnt.
There are three bolts (10mm head)on the pully to fine adjust the timing. They could have been left loose. But then in 9 out of 10 cases the engine would still be running. Just. No power and lots of smoke.
The most common mistake is that people dont follow this essential procedure.
After having fitted the belt and checked the timing the engine has to be turned at least two full revolutions.
Tensioner has to be slackened off and retensioned.
This procedure has to be done twice before reassembling.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
300 tdi, tdi