300 TDI timing belt tensioner - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 13th, 2009, 10:40 AM
sundogcwolfe
Charles R. Wolfe
1984 110, 300Tdi

300 TDI timing belt tensioner

Help...

Virginal episode of a 300 Tdi timing belt change. So be gentle boys.
Tried to research this question on line and via landrovernet and got some conflicting answers.

Pertinant facts.
1) Engine is newer 2002 (maybe out of a disco)
2) Reportedly 32K on motor.(But 7 years old!)
3) Belt shows no sign of pathology.
3) I am following shop manual and EXCELLENT diff-lock article detailing timing belt change. Sort of the equivalent of "Everything you ever wanted to know about timing belt change but were afraid to ask" to continiue toe analogy.

Problem

1) My tensioner pulley is fastened by a single allen head bolt without washer. This is different from the pictures of the assembly from the diff-lock article which shows a hex head bolt with at least a large flat washer (which appears to be against outer race).

My research has given conflicting results. One gent with a 2004 Disco 300 tdi shared that his first timing belt change had the exact same set up as mine..... Suggesting that Land Rover changed to this system in later 300 Tdi. Others have told me that it is buggered.

Any one else there done later 300 tdi's with a similar set up (allen head)?

Enclosed are pictures of my setup, picture from diff lock article.

Sincerely appreciative.
Cwolfe
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tensioner.jpg
Views:	315
Size:	121.8 KB
ID:	23660  
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 13th, 2009, 12:26 PM
D90user
steve
109/110 ambulance-55 series I

I cant comment on older vs. newer motors. But mine looks like yours, recessed allen head.
Old December 13th, 2009, 01:54 PM
sundogcwolfe
Charles R. Wolfe
1984 110, 300Tdi

Thanks. No locking washer either heh?

Cwolfe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 13th, 2009, 02:04 PM
D90user
steve
109/110 ambulance-55 series I

I dont remember, but I would think there should be a washer.

locktite too.
Old December 13th, 2009, 04:44 PM
Hoosier
Chris Hinkle
More than I need

A washer would be approriate in the situation, pretty sure both of mine have one. However, just a washer, not a lock washer.
Old December 13th, 2009, 05:38 PM
Mark McDonough
Mark McDonough
66' IIa, 95 D 90 300 Tdi, 94,98 D1

300 Tdi timing Belt

My understaning in doing this procedure twice already on the 95 Tdi is that the parts replacement components have changed to a standard set up along with the procedure to set the belt tension and hence, timing. The hex head bolt and washer were original design on some engines, is my understanding. The later replacement belt kit includes an upgrade using the allen head bolt and no washer, tensioner pully, toothed pully. Theres also a stiff fiber washer in there for placement on one of the main webs inside the cover so when the cover is tourqued down it doesnt distort.

Strongly suggest getting a small tourque wrench calibrated in newton meters to properlt set timing belt tension.
Old December 13th, 2009, 05:43 PM
KevinNY
Kevin Buckley
1973 coiler

I am going to do the belt on my Daihatsu 2.8 TD this winter and from your photo it is surprising how similiar, practically identical really, they both are. Exact same sort of tensioner and adjustment.
Old December 15th, 2009, 12:20 AM
sundogcwolfe
Charles R. Wolfe
1984 110, 300Tdi

good tidings

Thanks to all.

I have the belt in and tension set with beam tensioner. Still not satisfied with precision of the craftsman 3/8" beam torque wrench. Found snap-on 0-150 IN/lb torque wrench on ebay for about 100 washingtons. 11N-meters is about 90 inch pounds so it will be in more precise range.

Thankfully I have my old volvo 240 and Series II 109 to get to and fro so my defender project can be done at a pace that is enjoyable. Workshop is wood heated and quiet. ... My La-Bor'-atory.

Looking at Webastos with a lustful eye. Not sure where on the firewall I would mount it.........
Ah, another chance for evening research while the wife sleeps peacefully, the kids are dreaming, the dog is on the couch and a nip of scotch is working on melting the solitary ice cube.

A un-met friend with common interest,
Cwolfe

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
300 tdi, tdi