300 Tdi timing belt install - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 9th, 2006, 10:45 AM
roverboy
Thomas
Booger

300 Tdi timing belt install

I just got off the phone with my local garage, and they want to charge me $600 to install a timing belt on my 300Tdi. I have already supplied the belt itself, but they need an additional installation kit and some gaskets for the cover.

This seems awfully expensive to me. Anyone have any experience having this done? Is their quote ok or should I shop around? Would any old deisel shop be able to do this? I don't think this is a job I want to try and tackle myself.

Thanks.
Advertisement

Old March 9th, 2006, 02:03 PM
Roadsiderob
Robert Dassler
1994 D90
D-90 Source Vendor

Well,
How many hours of labor are you being charged and at what rate? To do the job right would include the tensioners and a crank seal and cover gasket. They are possibly also having to remove the slam panel, grill shell, radiator & intercooler for access. Also, if they are following the SM proceedure, they have probably had to invest in a pump alignment pin and a crank alignment pin to set everything properly....so maybe 4ish hours at $70-80/hr plus parts & shipping & tax...I can see it coming to $600 pretty easily.
I put a belt in the truck I just converted. I did it without a radiator & stuff installed and it wasn't overly difficult but it would have been a real PITA to do with the radiator in place.
Old March 9th, 2006, 04:44 PM
roverboy
Thomas
Booger

Thanks Rob,

That makes a little more sense to me. The shop I use has done me right in the past, and I think they're good guys, I just wasn't expecting $600+...I went ahead and told them to do it.

In any case, it's cheaper than a new engine.

Tom

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
300 tdi, tdi