300 TDI Tennessee - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 17th, 2008, 11:34 AM
ukaviator
DAN
None

300 TDI Tennessee

Hey there D-90 gurus!!

Im a newbie (originally from the UK now living in Tennessee), and im looking to buy an NAS defender 90 that has already has a 300 TDI conversion done to it.

Ive read through posts on here, but am still a little cloudy on some areas.

Please could you all help answer a few questions for me ...

1) Will a 300 TDI pass an emissions test here in Tennessee?
2) The vehicle has a title in Georgia, will there be a problem transferring it and getting a TN title? Bear in mind it is an NAS D-90, but im still not sure the answer to this as it has the conversion.
3) Who do you all insure your vehicles with? Is it tough getting insurance on these "Hybrid" beasts!?

Lastly ... if there are any fellow Tenneseans out there currently running a diesel Defender in the Nashville or surrounding areas, please contact me, I would love to pick your brain on these things - i'll buy the beer!!

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 17th, 2008, 11:47 AM
Grover
Mike
Birmabright Bread Box/Swagger Wagon

Registry
Welcome to the forum! I don't have any advice on a diesel but there are several members here that made the conversion.

Good Luck

Cheers...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old April 17th, 2008, 03:29 PM
ukaviator
DAN
None

Thanks Grover, glad to be here!

Looking forward to becoming a Land Rover geek!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 17th, 2008, 04:40 PM
Eric Siepmann
Eric W. Siepmann
1997 Defender 90 SW

Google it! You should be able to find out very quickly from the Tennessee.gov page. Search Vehicle code, then Diesel conversions.

Generally the States are much less strict than the UK/MoT. Most do not bother with conversions/swaps. Some, like IL, encourage the swap.

GA title should transfer no problem.

Insurance in US is different thatnthe UK. Most carriers allow engine conversions. Talk to your agent about the topic. Don't mention the engine itself, as the 300tdi is not EPA/DOT approved. Just ask about buying a truck that was converted to a diesel engine from gas. He should be able to walk you through it.

EwS
Old April 17th, 2008, 05:19 PM
ukaviator
DAN
None

Hi Eric,

Thanks for the info. I looked at Tennessee.gov site and had no luck. The site is pretty confusing.

You said the engine is not EPA/DOT approved - if that is the case doesnt that mean it wont pass an emissions test then?

Thanks
Old April 17th, 2008, 05:24 PM
Chaucer
Will
93 110 | 97 90

Depends on how the testing of diesels goes...it varies from state to state, county to county, and test center to test center.

Some places you only get a tail pipe opacity test, others you do that, plus an accellerator 'snap' test...others just do a 'safety test' where they make sure everything looks right and all your lights and indicators work.

Some places will fail you if you don't have the EGR system hooked up...It's really a mixed bag.

You should call the emissions testers over the phone and tell them you converted your truck from gas to diesel and ask what the test would entail.
Old April 17th, 2008, 05:43 PM
themaxx
Ade
94 ST

Registry
Dan,

Find the closest inspection center in Tennessee to the GA border...have the truck inspected. If the seller is motivated to sell and not at the bottom of GA, I think this would be a reasonable request.
Old April 17th, 2008, 05:57 PM
ukaviator
DAN
None

Thanks for the info guys, I will swing by our testing station Monday and find out what is involved.

I know when they tested my VW TDI they plugged a computer into a port under the dash, and when they did our Honda which is too old to have a port - they hooked up a pipe to the exhaust.

Can you guys recommend any good Land Rover mechanics in TN/KY/AL - is a list of recommended mechanics and/or clubs/meet-ups you guys have floating around by state?

Dan
Old April 17th, 2008, 09:51 PM
atlawson
Tracy Lawson
94' d90

I didn't think they did exhaust test in TN. I live on the border and my wife's family live in TN and have diesel pick up that has never been test. May be some cities require it, but they are in the country above Knoxville.

Tracy
Old April 17th, 2008, 10:09 PM
NashvilleRedD90
Will Peters
'97 NAS D90 ST #1704 -4.6

What year truck? What county do you live in?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old April 17th, 2008, 10:36 PM
discotdi
Todd Miller
Land Rover

I live in GA and have a converted 300 tdi Disco. Before I purchased the Disco I called the GA Epa and asked about diesel engines and whether they had to be tested. the answer here was no. Told them I had converted from a gas to a diesel and they said no problem since it is now a diesel. They did require that I take the Disco to a testing center and have the tech. verify that it was a diesel. I then took this to the state and had the title changed to read Diesel eng. and now no more emission testing.

Of course it sounds like TN tests diesels since they tested your VW. You might want to ask if certain GVWR vehicles are exempt or certain age vehicles. I think the D90 you are talking about is here in GA and is a 1994 so it is pre OBDII so there is no computer to hook to under the dash etc. so at the most the test may only be visual and tailpipe deal.
I would gather as much info from the state, from as many sources as possible before taking the vehicle for testing. If you happen to get the one guy that doesn't know the rules or knows them too well you could screw yourself if you don't have lots of info. Once that VIN is in the computer as a fail or altered vehicle it would be difficult to say the least to get it to pass.

I doubt TN is more strict than GA. Just do your homework first. I found the GA EPA clean air folks to be very nice and full of info.

Good luck. And the 300tdi in question is worth the effort> I know the truck and wish I had the funds to buy it myself.
Old April 19th, 2008, 12:21 PM
ukaviator
DAN
None

NashvilleRedD90 the Landy is a 94 and I live in Davidson county so unfortunatly for me there needs to be a test. If i lived 10 miles down the road I wouldnt be under the emissions testing rule - aint that a bi**h!

Discotdi thanks for the advice, I hadnt thought about the whole testing and failing thing being a potential problem in the future, so Im going down to the testing station monday, and hopefully get some good feedback.

If it turns out to be a problem, I may just register the vehcile in Ohio where my in-laws are ... I havent heard of any emissions test where they are.

So, any Nashvillians on this board?

Anybody know of a good mechanic in this state?

Thanks

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
300 tdi, tdi