300 tdi Starter and Alternator - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 21st, 2012, 09:04 AM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
300 tdi Starter and Alternator

My starter has been intermittently failing when it is very cold, so I need to replace it. I have contacted a few people that I buy parts from and neither have been able to find me one at a reasonable price. Where are you guys buying starters?

As for the alternator... Mine has finally pissed the bed, after having the main cable fall off multiple times due to someone previously stripping out the stud. After some searching I have seen people mention that the V8 alternator will work. Is there any modification need to make it fit, other than a bigger cable? I seem to remember the posts I saw about the V8 alternator being for a 200 tdi.

Thanks!
Jimmy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 21st, 2012, 11:11 AM
Viton
Deaf Ember
Smart 4x4

It's failing because of old grease in the solenoid.

My starter has about 115,000 mile on it. It started acting up this last October (cold), clicking, slow to engage, then quit all together. So I took it apart cleaned it up, blew it out with compressed air, cleaned the stator gaps, inspected the brushes, lightly greased the solenoid. The main thing I have found with a Bosch starter failure is the solenoid grease gets old and hard and won't allow it to operate. If you do all this and it still doesn't work, get it rebuilt locally, there's no need to spend $3 to 4 hundred on a new one unless you want to have a spare on hand while way off road. One of the easiest starters to remove too, you don't even have to get under the vehicle.

My alternator is acting up too, but I have a spare on hand that I bought from BP. The best price is probably to be had is from RovahFarm. It's a simple alt, actually and old Ford part. These can be rebuilt too.
Old February 21st, 2012, 12:56 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
It's failing because of old grease in the solenoid.
The issue I have is when it is under heavy load (cold temps) the spur will back out and keep spinning without turning the motor. Sometimes it stops spinning after a couple of seconds, sometimes it will go on for a while. If I disconnect ther battery it stops, but when I reconnect it, it sometimes still spins. I don't have the issue all the time, so I'm not in a huge rush to fix it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 21st, 2012, 01:06 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jymmiejamz View Post
The issue I have is when it is under heavy load (cold temps) the spur will back out and keep spinning without turning the motor. Sometimes it stops spinning after a couple of seconds, sometimes it will go on for a while. If I disconnect ther battery it stops, but when I reconnect it, it sometimes still spins. I don't have the issue all the time, so I'm not in a huge rush to fix it.
You can probably just R&R the bendix then. It is probably dirty and needs a good clean and lube. Worst case is a new solenoid.
Old February 21st, 2012, 01:10 PM
jrose609
Jason Rose
1983 110 County 200tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
The best price is probably to be had is from RovahFarm. It's a simple alt, actually and old Ford part. These can be rebuilt too.
you have that part number by chance?
Old February 21st, 2012, 01:12 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Personally I would suggest going with an OEM (Marelli) 100 Amp alternator instead of whatever you might have at the moment OR talk to Pendy as I believe he does up a better than stock alternator.
Old February 21st, 2012, 01:23 PM
jrose609
Jason Rose
1983 110 County 200tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
Personally I would suggest going with an OEM (Marelli) 100 Amp alternator instead of whatever you might have at the moment OR talk to Pendy as I believe he does up a better than stock alternator.
will do. thanks!
Old February 21st, 2012, 02:19 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Quote:
Is the 100 amp alternator the same as one from a V8 truck? Got a part #?
Old February 21st, 2012, 02:26 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
AMR4248: Stock 100 Amp alternator for Discovery 300TDIs with air con.

It is different than the V8 (STC1753) which has the adjuster on the other side and I think a different width mount.
Old February 21st, 2012, 02:27 PM
JFD
Julien Dalbin
05 Tdi 90

There is a drop in alternative, just have to swap the pulley, 100 amps, from Iskra and it's about 180$. I have mine for 2 years now, no problems so far.
Old February 21st, 2012, 04:21 PM
tdi-rick
Rick
'98 130CC

The 300tdi alternator has a weird swing and pad dimensions and I was never able to find a Bosch one to fit.

As JFD said, there are some alternatives, ones from a Ford Transit (do you get those in NA ?) and another is from a New Holland tractor. Most of these end up being MM's in a different box.
Old February 22nd, 2012, 06:06 AM
Antichrist
Tom Rowe
Defender/Disco/Series/MoD

Yeah, it sounds like the solenoid is just sticking. A rebuild of it, or replacement, would likely solve your problem. Though while the starter is out it wouldn't hurt to have it checked out by your local automotive electrical shop.

Four wheel drive allows you to get stuck
in places even more inaccessible.

62 88 Regular
67 109 6cyl NADA x2
74 Lightweight - The Antichrist
95 DI 5-speed
95 D90 5-speed
97 D1 Automatic
Old February 22nd, 2012, 07:05 AM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
I have seen people use a RRC alternator on a 300tdi. One of the rear ears needs to get sawed off. Can't help beyond that.

Quote:
AMR4248: Stock 100 Amp alternator for Discovery 300TDIs with air con.

It is different than the V8 (STC1753) which has the adjuster on the other side and I think a different width mount.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
300 tdi, alternator, start, starter, tdi