300 Tdi Rev Limit - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 16th, 2016, 11:41 PM
Lee
Lee O
95 NAS D-90 300Tdi

300 Tdi Rev Limit

I'm having an issue w/ my 300Tdi cutting out (basically to idle speed) when it hits a certain RPM/load combo (but doesn't shut off). In general it drops to idle speed if I exceed 2,800 RPMs driving down the highway, but will cut out at a higher RPM in neutral. This started after replacing the lift pump and fuel cut-off solenoid (the latter had failed, not sure on the lift pump). The fuel filter was replaced and it will drive all day long below 2,800 RPMs.

When it happens, as soon as I lift off the accelerator and push in the clutch, everything returns to normal. If I keep my foot on the accelerator, it will run but still drop to ~1,500 RPM before resetting.

Any thoughts? THX!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 16th, 2016, 11:49 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Sounds like a fuel supply problem. Blow out the supply line and make sure it is clear. Disconnect the line into the injection pump and the solenoid wire. Put the line into a bucket and crank the engine. You should get a good strong flow of fuel from the lift pump. That will verify if the fuel supply is working properly.

If that is good you might have a problem inside the injection pump.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old May 17th, 2016, 01:13 AM
Viton
Deaf Ember
Smart 4x4

Concur, fuel supply problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 17th, 2016, 02:51 AM
Thiemo
Thiemo Ebersberger
1989 4 door pick up 110

Yep fuel problem. Change fuel filter and clean out the water/sediment trap. The latter should be located near the tank somewhere on the chassis. Also what make lift pump did you install? I had Britpart ones that didnt work from new. Also disconnect the fuel line between tank and lift pump on the pump side and blow out with compressed air.

l
Old May 18th, 2016, 09:25 PM
Lee
Lee O
95 NAS D-90 300Tdi

I did John's suggestion and disconnected the supply line to the pump (and the soleniod wire), cranked the engine and got strong spurts of fuel coming out of the banjo fitting.

Since it's an NAS converted to Tdi, it appears I do not have a water/sediment trap. I have not blown out any of the lines, and unless you guys are contortionists, I can't figure out how to pull the line from the tank without dropping the tank.

Should I assume that given the flow I saw to the pump, I do not need to drop the tank and blow out the lines?

Can the mechanical rev limiter inside the pump go bad or reset itself?

thx!
Old May 18th, 2016, 09:43 PM
Viton
Deaf Ember
Smart 4x4

What was done to eliminate the gas filter, but then again if you are getting a strong flow, pre-diesel filter that wouldn't matter. The fuel line from the tank to the filter is fine, I'd say. I'd change out the diesel filter, even though it is new.
Old May 18th, 2016, 11:01 PM
Naplm00
Matthew
1983 110 200tdi 3 door soft top

Have you checked the boost line from the manifold to the injection pump? Possibly leaking or blocked would cause a lack of fueling at high speed/boost
Old May 20th, 2016, 01:43 AM
Thiemo
Thiemo Ebersberger
1989 4 door pick up 110

Another possibility is a faulty stop solanoid. It sits on the injector pump just above the injector pipes.
A electrical wire is connected to it. It coulld be a bad connection or the solanoid itself is giving up. Screw it out and remove the plunger and spring. Put it back in and go for a test drive. Note since you have disabled the mechanism you cannot turn the engine off with the ignition key. Stall it. Top gear, foot on the brakes.
Old May 20th, 2016, 06:59 AM
Lee
Lee O
95 NAS D-90 300Tdi

Ok, I blew out the boost line and ran a hot line to the stop solenoid (hadn't seen Thiemo's suggestion) and the problem still exists. Will try pulling the stop solenoid spring. Frustrating b/c this problem didn't exist b/f replacing the stop solenoid and lift pump.
Old May 20th, 2016, 07:42 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Is the lift pump any good or is there a slight suction air leak @ one of the unions ? I once limped a truck from Vermont back to Maryland with a bad lift pump and it behaved similarly.

Another thing to check is when you pull the stop solenoid out again, stick a magnet on a stick down the hole.
I have done this and pulled out large amounts of metal shavings in the past.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old May 20th, 2016, 07:00 PM
Lee
Lee O
95 NAS D-90 300Tdi

Well, that "new" stop solenoid kinda works… Pulled the plunger and spring, went for a ride and all is well. Reinstalled plunger and spring, went for a ride, and the problem reappeared. Ordering another "new" stop solenoid.

Thanks for your help fellas!
Old May 21st, 2016, 01:18 AM
Thiemo
Thiemo Ebersberger
1989 4 door pick up 110

just out of interest. What make was your faulty"new" stop solanoid? Britpart by any chance?
Old May 26th, 2016, 09:00 PM
Lee
Lee O
95 NAS D-90 300Tdi

OK, so first a big thanks to Eric at Atlantic British for getting me out a replacement part same day! The unit is from AllMakes but I wanted to wait a couple days to confirm the replacement was fine too (and the fuel stop solenoid wasn't failing for another reason). So far so good. Thanks again for your collective help.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
300 tdi, tdi