300 TDi question - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 11th, 2007, 09:10 AM
TexasD-90
Martin Spencer
1994 D-90

300 TDi question

I am interested in the 300TDi for sale on ebay. I have always wanted to do a diesel project, but maybe I should just buy one already done. That truck has 160K + and the TDi was installed at 100K. Does this mileage worry any of you diesel guys? How reliable are these engines in general? Are they fairly easy to work on? Just looking for some opinions on this particular truck. Any info would help alot. Also is there anyone in the boulder, co. area that would look at it for me if I decide to look further into it? Thank you in advance for your help.
Advertisement

Old December 11th, 2007, 09:13 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Allegedly, Pendy built it, so he might be willing to tell you more about whether or not it was new motor, etc etc.

At under 30k, the price would sure be favorable to building from scratch. Even if you rebuild the engine at some point. I hope I dont have to worry about the longevity of my engine before 200k miles...
Old December 11th, 2007, 09:17 AM
Emerson00
Matt J.
None at the moment

Martin,
I'm not a "diesel guy" for Rovers at all; I've worked on boat diesels enough to love 'em, though. 60k miles on a diesel isn't much, but it's where maintenance can't be ignored anymore (not that we should at all).

My reason for buying a Rover was to do a diesel conversion; my only concern is sourcing parts... Must everything be bought online for a LR diesel like the 300tdi? Are there domestic engine counterparts we can use to source parts at local auto parts stores?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 11th, 2007, 09:44 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Oil filters are the same as the v8, fuel filters are shared with diesel rabbits and others. Air filters dont seem to have an equivalent at the local autoparts place. Aside from maintenance items, what do you want to buy locally? I didnt even buy parts for my 65 mustang locally, I'd always order them up from whoever had a decent price or the specific brand I wanted. I'm always confused when people worry about parts availability since you can pretty much get anything you want anytime unless you are my father who can't even source parts when I provide him with a phone number and a point of contact, much less a website.
Old December 11th, 2007, 10:04 AM
Emerson00
Matt J.
None at the moment

Filters would be first.

Other oddball parts I guess. I have a knack for breaking things...

I guess Tdi parts are available online from the standard shops - RN, AB, RDS, DAP, etc? It's not going to stop me from repowering; it's just a question.
Old December 11th, 2007, 10:35 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
I have looked into the option of creating a parts stash, so that I could be to some degree self-sustaining. A full set of ancilaries (lift pump, water pump, alternator, PS pump, assorted hoses, and some other stuff) could be had for less than 1k. A spare turbo might no be bad, but turbos arent that hard to come by and I think the one on the Tdi is a Garrett anyway. A fuel pump would be the worst thing to have go, but there is a well-developed commercial infrastructure to support their rebuilding, and its a Bosch piece anyway.

Ultimately, its no worse than simply owning a rover to begin with.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old December 11th, 2007, 11:18 AM
revor
Keith Kreutzer
Old beat up 110
D-90 Source Vendor

Hey Martin.. Feel free to give me a call..

Big, Red and ... aaa Red..
Old December 11th, 2007, 12:22 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

RDS pretty much has everything stock at a good price. On upgrades, Pendy has always come through for me (Alt, ps Pump ect).

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old December 11th, 2007, 01:19 PM
Cirbo
Jim C.
None

Price seems pretty good. With the list of options and knowing the work was done by Pendy, I'd jump on it. I doubt you could source/build one for near that price.

jC
Old December 11th, 2007, 08:02 PM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

Just read that e-bray listing.

After having driven many 300 Tdis both that I own or have installed for customers,.....I have yet to drive one that gets "into the low 30's" mpg.....even when driving south.

then again, perhaps it's just me 'cause I can't get the 55mpg that all the VW Rabbit guys claim they get either (in a rabbit).

new expansion complete. Not only are we the only Rover shop in Eliot Maine...now we're also the biggest.

"Dedicated to the resurrection of junk through engineering?"
Old December 11th, 2007, 10:30 PM
D90user
steve
109/110 ambulance-55 series I

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkyddog11

then again, perhaps it's just me 'cause I can't get the 55mpg that all the VW Rabbit guys claim they get either (in a rabbit).
I used to pull 50mpg all day in my 1980 dasher diesel. sweet little rig.

oh ya and tdi defenders are OK too.
Old December 11th, 2007, 10:37 PM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

Martin,

I am not familiar with the Diesels so Keith may be better but I am in boulder every day and I'm happy to check out the truck for you.

Let me know,
Andrew
Old December 11th, 2007, 10:48 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
I think the common overestimation on 300 tdi mileage comes from the fact that the Brits report mpg figures using an imperial gallon, which is somewhat larger than ours, so naturally, they acheive better mileage. Others like to pass on this information as it suits them to either impress somebody or write better copy. They either dont mind fibbing or they never check their own mileage figures.

Old December 12th, 2007, 01:14 AM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

I think it was 7 yrs ago that I put the engine in that truck. I believe he had a t-belt done by a qualified tech sometime in the recent past. I think he is trying to grow his film buisiness-reason for sale.. Have not talked to him for 6-8 months.

May have a fiberglass top with it. It was a used engine.. I do believe the mileage figures are correct. It can be done. US miles to the gallon.

Hope that helps.
JP

Advice is only as good as the person applying it--
Don't make me give you bad advice!

Lemons or lemonaide, whatever your taste provides.
Old December 12th, 2007, 10:16 AM
revor
Keith Kreutzer
Old beat up 110
D-90 Source Vendor

Aren't you supposed to be installing an engine?

Big, Red and ... aaa Red..
Old December 12th, 2007, 10:34 AM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

Just leaving

Advice is only as good as the person applying it--
Don't make me give you bad advice!

Lemons or lemonaide, whatever your taste provides.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
300 tdi, tdi