300 tdi problems - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old June 1st, 2010, 02:19 PM
discotdi
Todd Miller
Land Rover

I will post up when finished
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 2nd, 2010, 04:34 PM
discotdi
Todd Miller
Land Rover

picking up a new turbo tomorrow. Found a good source for the Garrett turbo. Paying $750. He said could rebuild for less but the parts were out of stock for 6-8 weeks, so went with the new. will post up with the results.
Old June 7th, 2010, 04:20 PM
discotdi
Todd Miller
Land Rover

new turbo is installed, LOOKS GREAT, but still smokes. However I do now have much better power when the turbo kicks in at about 2000 rpms. sounds good too. adjusting valves tomorrow, although I think this is mostly a maintenance issue and is unlikely to resolve the smoke . After that will think about injectors etc. My wallet will need to recover first though!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 9th, 2010, 12:05 AM
discotdi
Todd Miller
Land Rover

valves done. no change in smoke issue. the smoke is a greyish color and has a distinct aroma of diesel exhaust. more noxious than a normal exhaust smell. it can even be smelled in the car while driving. Also at idle there is a constant puff, puff ,puff of smoke as it idles. When I rev the engine especially around 2000 rpms the smoke gets really heavy and the car runs a bit rough as well.

any other suggestions? thinking about changing injectors if anyone knows a good source.
Old June 9th, 2010, 12:11 AM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I've had this page bookmarked from a prior D90 thread as soon as I get a little more liquid:
http://www.paddockspares.com/pp/DEFE..._-_300TDI.html

Seems to be the best deal out there. However, as Eric (brn24whl) pointed out - don't forget to also change out the change the copper rings at the bottom of the injectors (should be available on Paddock website as well).

Keep me posted, I get a little more exhaust than I like under load so if it clears up your smoke issue I may just bite the bullet and order new injectors. I've got 76K on my 300tdi and doubt they've been done previously...

------ Follow up post added June 9th, 2010 12:12 AM ------

PS - would be curious, make sure you report if all of this improves you mpg (I'm currently getting 20-24 city/hwy on mine).
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old June 9th, 2010, 12:21 AM
exmod110
Don Lang

Did you ever crack the injector lines to see if you can get it to go away? It will run worse when you crack each like, but the smoke might change more with one then another.. that would be the inj to pull out first.
Old June 9th, 2010, 08:26 AM
discotdi
Todd Miller
Land Rover

when you say "crack the injector line" do you mean just loosen it a little where it connects to the injector or take it off the injector? I assume diesel will spill out? how much?is it under great pressure or will it just sort of weep out?
Old June 9th, 2010, 08:53 AM
exmod110
Don Lang

Yes loosen the nut on the line at the injector, do not remove it, usually 1/2-1 full turn is enough. you can make sure they will all move easy b4 you do it running... saves a bit of hassle. you will get some fuel spray, the pressure will depend on how tight or loose you get the nut. DO NOT GET YOUR HAND OR ANY PART OF YOUR BODY CLOSE as a precaution... nitrile or chem gloves are a must for safety. wrap a closth wrap around the line and loosen the nut, it will run poorly each time you crack a line... If you want I will get my vid cam and go through the process and stick it on youtube.
Old June 9th, 2010, 10:42 AM
discotdi
Todd Miller
Land Rover

I appreciate the info and video offer, but I think I will take it back to the shop that replaced the turbo. I will mention the injector deal to them. I am beginning to think that it has gotten out of time somehow. It is acting the same as it did when the timing was off due to the improper cam belt replacement. I posted about that and finally got it fixed and it has run great until now.
This morning it was difficult to start and when it did it ran very rough and smoked heavily. The power is also lacking except when the new turbo kicks in. but it is losing power going up even small inclines. Whatever the problem is it seems to be getting worse.

I suppose to check the timing I will just have to take off the front cover and have a look?
Old June 9th, 2010, 12:04 PM
revor
Keith Kreutzer
Old beat up 110
D-90 Source Vendor

You have to take the front cover off to look. You'll need a 10MM pin to put in the fuel pump pulley to check its position.

Big, Red and ... aaa Red..
Old June 9th, 2010, 12:08 PM
D90user
steve
109/110 ambulance-55 series I

It sounds more like timing to me, also considering you had issues before it is getting more likely.
When my injectors became clogged I had more random puffs of black smoke (along with more smoke).

To check the timing you can just pull the inspection plate (triangle- 3 bolts) on the front cover. then remove the bellhousing drain plug (if it is in ) and rotate the engine until you see the notch on the flywheel. you can then take a 10 mm drill bit (or is that 8mm?) and slide it in to lock the injection pump. If it does not slide in with some wiggling of the engine... your timing is off.

If that is not it you may also be worth changing the lift pump if it is of unknown age...

One other thing to consider is bad fuel. you can always get new diesel and draw from a jerry can to check that out.

good luck

------ Follow up post added June 9th, 2010 11:09 AM ------

ahh and expert beat me to it!
Old June 9th, 2010, 01:16 PM
revor
Keith Kreutzer
Old beat up 110
D-90 Source Vendor

While I agree with Steve on his method of checking the timing, you can't check the cam timing that way and there are loads of notch's and holes on the 300 flywheel, don't let them fool you.

I would be concerned about the plastic covered tensioner if it still hase one (hope not). Mine disintegrated and caused similar power and timing issues befre it completly failed.

Another thing that warrants a look is the damper/crank pulley. If it is slightly loose it can allow the timing belt pulley to "hammer" on the keyway in the crank, this will lead to timing changes and eventually destroy the pulley and potentially the crank. I have seen this too, it also causes wierd timing and power issues.

Big, Red and ... aaa Red..
Old June 9th, 2010, 01:36 PM
exmod110
Don Lang

All the suggestions were mads early in this thread.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by exmod110 View Post
They should not go out of time under normal circumstances. Did you have a lot of trouble with it a while back after changing the timing belt or was that some one else?
Even thoe it smokes, how's the power?
With all the problems with the timing that would be step 1 double check it and make sure ALL the fasteners are torqued to spec, esp the crank bolt. There was one a while back that the crank damper bolt came loose and moved on the key way causing sim problems.
when was the last valve adj made?
other then that I would crack each injector line one at a time while it is smoking and see if one makes any difference to the smoke or the "pop pop pop" could be a faulty injector. with each inj line cracked it should run worse. If one makes little or no diff, concetrate on that inj or cyl.
Keep clear of the fuel spray while cracking the inj lines... diesel fuel under pressure is dangerous and potentially deadly if it gets under the skin.
If you are not confident on what you are doing, take it to some one who is!
Old June 9th, 2010, 04:08 PM
discotdi
Todd Miller
Land Rover

yes indeed, so back to the beginning.
Old June 24th, 2010, 04:45 PM
discotdi
Todd Miller
Land Rover

ok, replaced the injectors and the smoke is gone. however, now it is idling at 1500-1600 RPM's! How does one adjust the idle? Or how did changing the injectors effect the idle speed?
Old July 31st, 2010, 09:44 PM
discotdi
Todd Miller
Land Rover

final result. injectors did not solve the problem so I went back to what I should have done first, the timing.
turns out as correctly surmised by Keith
"Another thing that warrants a look is the damper/crank pulley. If it is slightly loose it can allow the timing belt pulley to "hammer" on the keyway in the crank, this will lead to timing changes and eventually destroy the pulley and potentially the crank. I have seen this too, it also causes wierd timing and power issue".

This was indeed the problem. replaced the damper, crankshaft gear, and seals. I also had a new timing belt installed as well as new drive belts. The truck runs well with no smoke. It is still a bit down on power when ascending inclines but I will work on that later.

Now it is also leaking diesel fuel. I think it is either one or two of the new injectors or the fuel return line. will check that tomorrow. Engine was way to hot when I got home from work today.

Thanks for all of the tips
Old August 2nd, 2010, 12:38 AM
D90user
steve
109/110 ambulance-55 series I

So was the crank pulley obviously loose?

Glad you got it sorted.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
300 tdi, problems, tdi