300 TDI lack of power on hills - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old September 18th, 2016, 06:59 PM
bcourtney
Robert Courtney
1973 Series III 200TDI

300 TDI lack of power on hills

I recently installed a freshly rebuilt 300 in an 1988 Defender. It came complete with the R380 and 1:4 transfer case. Two issues, one engine winds out with a top speed of 60-65, causing the waste gate to dump. I attribute this to the 1:4 and most likely because this had a 2.5 It probably has 4:7 gears. Second issue is lack of power on hills. With the suspected gearing hills should be an issue. So it seems either lack of fuel or lack of air or both, Thoughts?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 18th, 2016, 07:36 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcourtney View Post
I recently installed a freshly rebuilt 300 in an 1988 Defender. It came complete with the R380 and 1:4 transfer case. Two issues, one engine winds out with a top speed of 60-65, causing the waste gate to dump. I attribute this to the 1:4 and most likely because this had a 2.5 It probably has 4:7 gears. Second issue is lack of power on hills. With the suspected gearing hills should be an issue. So it seems either lack of fuel or lack of air or both, Thoughts?
Sure it's a 1.4 ? 1.4 should run you down the road faster than you want to go.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Land Rover Shipment and Importation Service
Bespoke Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old September 18th, 2016, 07:37 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
1:4 is the correct transfer box for a 300 Tdi as far as I know. Why do you think you have such a low ratio in the diffs?
Advertisement

Old September 18th, 2016, 08:15 PM
Capt Milks
Mike
Defender V-8, Defender 2.25

When you did the engine re-build what head gasket did you put in? Did you install a re-built turbo or the old one. Did you do anything to the injection pump? How are your air intake hoses? Did you use the factory Defender 300 Tdi set up? All of these things could be causing you to not have enough power on the hills.
Old September 18th, 2016, 09:38 PM
javelinadave
-
-

What is your EGT up to? Perhaps the fuel screw is all the way backed out.
Old September 18th, 2016, 09:59 PM
Contractor
Will
1969 IIA

I'm on my phone and not looking at a ratio calculator, but even a 1.4 with a 4.7 diff is pretty low. If you know you have a 1.4:1 TC, then swap to 3.54 diffs and cruise much faster!

However, if you hate the hills now and are rolling 4.7's, then poor performance on hill climbs is another issue......a 1.4:1 and 4.7's should climb a hill like a raped ape.
Old September 18th, 2016, 10:07 PM
Viton
Deaf Ember
Smart 4x4

Move your waste gate blow off hose from the turbo to the port on the rear of the intake manifold.
Old September 18th, 2016, 10:07 PM
Naplm00
Matthew
1983 110 200tdi 3 door soft top

Quote:
Originally Posted by Contractor View Post
I'm on my phone and not looking at a ratio calculator, but even a 1.4 with a 4.7 diff is pretty low. If you know you have a 1.4:1 TC, then swap to 3.54 diffs and cruise much faster!

However, if you hate the hills now and are rolling 4.7's, then poor performance on hill climbs is another issue......a 1.4:1 and 4.7's should climb a hill like a raped ape.
Agreed, and probably top out at 50
Old September 19th, 2016, 07:00 AM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcourtney View Post
Are you sure it's lack of power on hills or lack of gearing with plenty of power... who knows?

From the factory:
The gearing of series differentials are 4.7.
The gearing of a Defender-Style vehicles is 3.54.

I don't mean to sound callus, but you need to know exactly what you have in terms of engine and gearing.
Otherwise, no one here can assist you in locating a solution.

You could have a 1.6 transfer case if it wasn't changed with the engine conversion, but based on your statements, you really don't know what you have.

Are you 100% sure the wastegate is opening and not the air intake hose collapsing and shutting down the air to the turbo?

I think you need to explain your issues in terms of what is happening.
Instead of saying "causing the waste gate to dump", you need to explain that you are loosing boost, because I ask again how do know the wastegate is dumping boost?
Did you mount a camera under the hood?

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Old September 19th, 2016, 07:13 AM
rovertek
chris
D130, 2001+99 p38

Lack of power? or will not sustain speed up hills ?
in my 130 i run a 300tdi vnt turbo, ported head and full intercooler, pined pump,r380/3.54 / 1.4 tbox ...
smooth take off power nice lane change capability
MAX cruise 72-75 mph on the flat
uphills losses anywhere from 5-10 mph all depends on the grade
i had the 1.2 box in it and up any grade was annoying 20+mph drop unless you down shifted and booted it
make sure you get a egt gauge
Old September 19th, 2016, 11:42 AM
AdamSanta85
Adam
91' D90 200TDI

Registry
Sounds like a boost leak.

1. Lack of power - Check
2. Loud turbo - Check

My truck with a 1.4 / 200tdi with a recently calibrated speedometer will cruise at 70mph on highway. If I kept in it for a while could probably get up to 80, but thats too fast for a Defender.
Old September 19th, 2016, 06:38 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I had a skerries with a diesel conversion. I changed the diff gears to run the proper drivetrain gearing. Power could be as easy as a loose turbo hose.
Old September 23rd, 2016, 09:20 AM
mdcoa
Bill
1995 Discovery

What everybody said. You should be able to get the SN off your T-case and figure out what its ratio actually is (IIRC the Ashcroft site has reams of information on transmissions and ratios), and you can jack up a wheel and turn it and count driveshaft revolutions and figure out what your diffs are for sure.

And an EGT gauge might help with power problem diagnoses--if you have a fuel starvation issue (due to bad lift pump or a restriction somewhere in a line or filter) that's causing inadequate power on hills, it'd reflect in EGTs that are not rising like they should on a hill with your boot in it. I just had this happen--if I hadn't had an EGT gauge, it'd have taken me who knows how long to sort out. It still took me way longer than it should've . . .

Does your fuel line by any chance run through the original gasoline fuel filter? If so, that could be causing a starvation issue right there.

For what it's worth, in my Disco I initially had the 1.4 case (which was the factory case for 300tdi defenders, but not for 300tdi discos), but hated it. I now have a 1.2 and am much happier--there's something to be said for not needing to shift into second gear until one is mostly through the intersection. And she can go 80-85 all day on the flat, which is much faster than I actually do drive, but it's nice to go 70-75 without feeling like I'm wringing the engine's neck. And there's no low range ratio difference between the 1.2 and 1.4s, so I lost nothing off road.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
300 tdi, ac, tdi