300 tdi issues - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 20th, 2015, 03:04 PM
Blackfly911
Rod
1997 Defender 130 300Tdi

Registry
300 tdi issues

Happy Friday everyone,

On the hunt for a bit of trouble shooting advice on an issue with a recently rebuilt 300tdi.

The engine runs fine at idle, slight haze in the exhaust but no real smoke. Seems to pull ok through 1st gear but in second under load it begins to knock which continues through all gears. I initially thought it was the vac pump which I replaced but the knock is still there. Listening to the engine at idle, everything seems normal with the sound coming on only under load/acceleration and almost seems like itís running on three cyl with an accompanying vibration and flat spot in power.

Anyone have any advice on what I could look at before I consider pulling the head?

A rebuilt injector pump, new lift pump and injectors were installed recently and pretty much all the ďgutsĒ were new with the rebuild.

Iíll start a detailed troubleshooting session over the weekend and will be checking for air leaks in the fuel system, timing and valve clearances before thinking about pulling the head to see if itís the gasket, burnt valve or broken ring.

Anyone have any advice on what else to look for or ever face a similar issue?

Any help appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 20th, 2015, 03:15 PM
javelinadave
-
-

Replace the fuel filter is where I would start.
Old November 20th, 2015, 03:28 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
yeah, your a long way I think from needing to pull the head. I'm wondering if your IP timing is advanced to much. do you know how to check timing? it's well covered on youtube

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 20th, 2015, 04:20 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Raub's truck, a 200tdi,had a knock that was pretty scary sounding. I pulled the head and it was obvious that the compression sealing rings between cyls 2 and 3 had been leaking and when we shaved the head flat and put it back together there was no knock. Not saying this is your issue but a compression leak between cyls makes a pretty mean sounding knock.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old November 20th, 2015, 05:06 PM
Blackfly911
Rod
1997 Defender 130 300Tdi

Registry
Thanks for the quick replies!

IP was timed during install but it's on the list of things to check as is changing the filter.

I'm a bit baffled as it only makes an audible knock under load, the idle sound is A1 as is throttling it in the garage from the engine bay. Sounds aside, the vibration or "missing" is concerning. There's no coolant loss or pressurization of the reservoir either so head removal will be the course of last resort.
Old November 20th, 2015, 07:43 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackfly911 View Post
Thanks for the quick replies!

IP was timed during install but it's on the list of things to check as is changing the filter.

I'm a bit baffled as it only makes an audible knock under load, the idle sound is A1 as is throttling it in the garage from the engine bay. Sounds aside, the vibration or "missing" is concerning. There's no coolant loss or pressurization of the reservoir either so head removal will be the course of last resort.
Buy a cheap mechanics stethoscope. I use the hell out of mine and its a great way to figure out where a noise is emanating from without taking the truck apart.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
300 tdi, tdi