300 tdi intercooler - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 20th, 2008, 09:51 PM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

300 tdi intercooler

anyone know anything about the "full size" intercoolers that are being sold on ebay?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/LAND-...m140233052800&
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 20th, 2008, 10:25 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
and the hot rodding begins- I am jelous. Nice avatar

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old May 20th, 2008, 10:44 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abrooks
anyone know anything about the "full size" intercoolers that are being sold on ebay?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/LAND-...m140233052800&
I don't know anything about it, but I would go for it. At that price, there is little reason not too. Intercoolers are not that involved. Bigger mostly means better.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 21st, 2008, 10:24 AM
Pat
Patrick M.
D90 '96 300Tdi 5 speed

A not well designed bigger intercooler could also be more restrictive or not cooling at all...
The pic shows the Allard intercooler. Watching the intercooler at ebay I'm not sure if it has the chamber splitter... I would check that out first...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	intercooler.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	248.5 KB
ID:	13563  
Old May 21st, 2008, 10:34 AM
Retrofit
Pat
1984 110 CrewCab 200Tdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat
A not well designed bigger intercooler could also be more restrictive or not cooling at all...
The pic shows the Allard intercooler. Watching the intercooler at ebay I'm not sure if it has the chamber splitter... I would check that out first...
Yep ! I agree with that Pat, splitting the chamber is of real importance it doubles the cooling time of the air as it has to go through the whole intercooler, or else keep the one you have you will not see that much in added cooling.

My 2cents.

Pat

Kirk Lazarus, Tropic Thunder

color="Red">CanadaOverland.com
Old May 21st, 2008, 10:40 AM
revor
Keith Kreutzer
Old beat up 110
D-90 Source Vendor

I've been banging this intercooler thing around in my head for a bit. It seems that the core on the factory intercooler is quite restrictive. I have this thought and I'm going to try it out. If I replace the factory core with a less restrictive core such as a bar and plate there could be as much as a 75% increase in flow, all the flow does nothing for you unless the inter cooler cools the intake charge. I am waiting for an old intercooler to be shipped then I will procede with my experiments.
The only reason I'm playing with this is that I wonder just how much this little tractor motor needs. Given the total CFM of throughput the motor can generate I don't know that a huge intercooler will add that much to the bottom line. Good price though! And it looks to be of good quality..

Buy it or I will!

Big, Red and ... aaa Red..
Old May 21st, 2008, 11:47 AM
D90user
steve
109/110 ambulance-55 series I

I just wrote the seller to ask if there was any baffle or divider to force air through the larger cooling area... will post up when he replies.
Old May 21st, 2008, 12:19 PM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

And I wrote to them last night trying to get more info. I'll obviously post up when I hear anything.
Old May 21st, 2008, 12:20 PM
Pat
Patrick M.
D90 '96 300Tdi 5 speed

other point to take into account is that even when the ebay intercooler core looks less restrictive to the intake air flow it will behave much more restrictive to the external air flow ...
don't forget behind the intercooler we have a radiator that also needs a good airflow...
the new intercooler reduces the radiator air flow in 50% of its area....
Old May 21st, 2008, 12:42 PM
revor
Keith Kreutzer
Old beat up 110
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat
other point to take into account is that even when the ebay intercooler core looks less restrictive to the intake air flow it will behave much more restrictive to the external air flow ...
don't forget behind the intercooler we have a radiator that also needs a good airflow...
the new intercooler reduces the radiator air flow in 50% of its area....
Great point! That is a Bar and Plate core, probably the best as far as efficiency goes (all the turbo ricers use them) But two things happen, you are covering the rad, probably not that big of a deal especially if you take advantage to the extra space left from the old intercooler and increase the core of the rad. Also the air in the intercooler is changing direction, it may not seem like a big deal with compressed air but ther is a substantial loss in volume due to friction in the intercooler even when going straight, for every 90o bend in a pipe the math says to add a significant amount of length to which the compressed air needs to travel.

Example 2 1/2" pipe 115 PSi compressed air add the friction loss equivelent to 10 additional inches of pipe for each 90o bend the air has go through. Might not seem to be a lot but to maintain the same volume of compressed air with 5 of these bends will make it nessesary to increase the pipe diameter by 1/4"

Old May 21st, 2008, 12:43 PM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

1. For the price, size and apparent quality, this is worth a try.

2. As Keith said, the CFM we're talking about is way below the IC's rating, again judging by the size alone.

3. For those with AC, a better solution (for me) is the following water-to-air model:

http://www.pwr.com.au/coolers_ltoa.html

Even the smallest one is plenty for the Tdi. The cooling fan (not theirs but any generic one) fits in place of the stock IC.
Old May 21st, 2008, 12:48 PM
revor
Keith Kreutzer
Old beat up 110
D-90 Source Vendor

Water cooled..... NIIIIICE....

Old May 21st, 2008, 07:06 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I would like to get a larger intercooler as well.. just installed a NRP exhaust from RN so its breathing very well... No mufflers, just 2 resonators.. now for some more air flow... Then I just will have eo ship Pendy to my house to tweak my injector pump...
Old May 21st, 2008, 07:59 PM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

So while we're all sitting around waiting to hear back from the seller, what is the most effective was to take advantage of a larger intercooler? there are a variety of threads out there talking about turning up boost and fueling, what are people's first hand experiences?
Old May 21st, 2008, 09:14 PM
tmore
Tom More
1995 D90

I bought one off of E-bay new about a 18 mnths ago or so. I don't think it was from this same company but will check. The install was simple and it made a huge differance in the egt. I have "tuned" the injection pump per the instrucyions on this site and it works great, huge power increase. As far as the wider intercooler interfering with the air to the radiator I have not noticed a differance, I can run mine all day in stop and go or crawling on the trail with no issue, I do heat up pretty quick at highway speed over mountain passes but never seem to get egt over 1000.

Follow-up Post:

Keith, are you waiting on an old factory size intercooler or an oversized? I have a factory size in my garage that you are welcome to experiment with. I also have a spearco racing intercooler that overall is 11"x17" with the core being 7x17. it is oriented differant that the the defender oversize units with the "tanks" on the top and bottom and the tubes vertical. It looks like it would be easy to cut down to size ( lenghth wise) is neccessary. Spearco makes good stuff, i have used them in other vehicles. If you have any interest let me know
Old May 21st, 2008, 10:50 PM
revor
Keith Kreutzer
Old beat up 110
D-90 Source Vendor

Hey Tom

I am going to be experimenting with several thoughts, one being stuffing as big a bar and plate core as possible between the factory tanks and in teh factory location. I may purchase one from teh guy on E bay as well... Then it's off to the flow bench to test them.. Some simple math should confirm what the temperature drop should be.

I keep hearing from the tuner dudes that "the Turbo should be as big as it can be but not too big" what the heck that means is beyond me but i wanna find out.. We should try and hook up!

Old May 22nd, 2008, 01:08 AM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

There is no cheap way to do this correctly. IMO And fit and finish of the install makes all the difference. As well as keeping oversized parts from damaging each other.

JP

Advice is only as good as the person applying it--
Don't make me give you bad advice!

Lemons or lemonaide, whatever your taste provides.
Old May 22nd, 2008, 04:19 AM
Muscat
Mark B
2002 90 wreck

The same intercooler has been up for sale before - at least the pictures on this sale are identical to those on an earlier auction. I emailed the seller and received the following reply:

It is manufactured by XS Power
it can hold up to 8oo hp application no problem

800hp. from my 300tdi. I wish...
Old May 22nd, 2008, 08:29 AM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

And the response I got was:
The warranty is 30 days against manufactures defects.

Sorry don't have a number on performance increase as this item is more to make sure the rest of your setup works efficiently and can handle more power than what anyone would want to use in most cases.
Old May 22nd, 2008, 08:37 AM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDI Guy
I would like to get a larger intercooler as well.. just installed a NRP exhaust from RN so its breathing very well... No mufflers, just 2 resonators.. now for some more air flow... Then I just will have eo ship Pendy to my house to tweak my injector pump...
You of all people can make the adjustments to the pump. It is easy.

Going full width lowered my egt by 250 degrees. I was never at the magic 1200-1300 degree mark but have come close. Now I can't get it above 900 no matter how much I flog it (and that was on a long uphill pulling a trailer).

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
300 tdi, tdi