300 tdi intercooler - Page 6 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old August 1st, 2009, 02:39 PM
JSQ
Jack Quinlan

wait a minute.
that looks like it's for the boost pressure valve.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 1st, 2009, 03:35 PM
Viton
Deaf Ember
Smart 4x4

The thing I notice about the photo is there seems to be NO weld where a chamber splitter should be ( between the in & out pipes ). Also, I'd be concerned about how much area the other end cap of the intercooler covers the radiator, maybe up 25%.

Dennis
Old August 1st, 2009, 11:15 PM
JSQ
Jack Quinlan

Turned the key today and no joy.
For some reason it's not pulling any fuel from the tank.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 2nd, 2009, 12:14 PM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSQ
wait a minute.
that looks like it's for the boost pressure valve.
No its the aneroid signal.

You have to bleed the system before you crank the engine. Unless you want to damage the injector pump running it dry.

Advice is only as good as the person applying it--
Don't make me give you bad advice!

Lemons or lemonaide, whatever your taste provides.
Old August 2nd, 2009, 03:47 PM
JSQ
Jack Quinlan

Quote:
Originally Posted by pendy
No its the aneroid signal.
I'm still lost. This doesn't run to the T-valve on the turbo?

Quote:
You have to bleed the system before you crank the engine. Unless you want to damage the injector pump running it dry.
Well, as stated above, I've already cranked it with the injector pump dry.

I can't find anything in the shop manual on bleeding the fuel system. Care to enlighten me?

I primed the fuel filter with diesel. The lift pump lever is totally slack. I tried turning the engine 180 degrees and the left pump lever is still slack. And I don't have fuel traveling anywhere in the system. I cracked the injectors to bleed them during start but no fuel comes out. I cracked the connector for the feed line to the lift pump and no fuel there. I cracked the lines at the sedimenter and there's no fuel coming out there either. Nothing.

???
Old August 2nd, 2009, 06:25 PM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

Well you may have a bad lift pump. Try to turn the engine over some more and see if you can get the lobe off the lift pump lever. 90degree maybe.

To bleed the fuel system do EXACTLY as I say. Remove the banjo bolt for the return line COMPLETELY from the injection pump. It has a pressure relief valve built into it so you need to remove it to effectively bleed the injection pump and fill it with fuel before trying to start the engine. After you get fuel to run out the top of the injection pump replace the banjo bolt.

You can crank the engine a few times with the fittings at the injectors loose till they are wet. Then tighten and start the engine. But if it is a good injection pump you really do not need to bleed the lines from the injection pump to the injectors.

I do not usually try to start an engine unless I am able to get the oil pressure light to go out by cranking the engine. Do not overheat the starter. It is easier to build oil pressure without the injectors installed or without the glow plugs installed. Crank for 30 second intervals with 5-10 minute rests between cranking.

That aneroid or boost sensor line does go to the tee back of the turbo. Stock anyway.

Good Luck

Old August 2nd, 2009, 07:59 PM
JSQ
Jack Quinlan

Quote:
To bleed the fuel system do EXACTLY as I say. Remove the banjo bolt for the return line COMPLETELY from the injection pump. It has a pressure relief valve built into it so you need to remove it to effectively bleed the injection pump and fill it with fuel before trying to start the engine. After you get fuel to run out the top of the injection pump replace the banjo bolt.

Good Luck
That did it.

I didn't achieve any success with the lift pump, but after removing the banjo bolt from the return lines on the injector pump and pullng fuel in with a vacuum the engine started immediately.

It ran for a couple of minutes surging. Lots of smoke.
Then it died.
It started again and ran for a bit and died again. It wasn't responsive to throttle at all. Now it will turn over and then immediately die.

Regardless, it was nice to hear it run and it didn't have any death rattle or try to rev to the moon. It sounded pretty happy, less the surging.

I'm not exactly sure what's going on now. It never idled evenly. Since the motor wasn't set up for the current intercooler and intake set up I'm assuming the injector pump needs to be tuned to the current set up.

Thanks for the insight. I was getting pretty frustrated.

Follow-up Post:

Follow up:
The smoke was white. I'm guessing it's lean on fuel and that's what's killing it now.

I still don't know whether or not the lift pump is working or whether or not it needs to be for the truck to run once the fuel system is primed.
Old August 4th, 2009, 10:48 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
White smoke is unburned fuel. Normal for what you are doing.

Check the timing. Check the lift pump. It can run without a lift pump as long as air is not getting into the system.

That tube should be connected to the turbo discharge.
Old August 4th, 2009, 12:48 PM
JSQ
Jack Quinlan

New lift pump is on the way from George.

Any good tricks to find air leaks on the Tdi?
I'll go through and check all the fittings.
Old August 4th, 2009, 01:07 PM
revor
Keith Kreutzer
Old beat up 110
D-90 Source Vendor

So back to the E Bay intercooler. I got it mounted and had an opportunity to tdo some comparable testing in some tough situations.
Both tests included hauling our M416 camping trailer, passengers and loads of gear up some pretty brutal mountain passes here in CO.

Our first trip was down south the weather was cool and rainy as was the second in both cases the passes were up around 10K feet and 7% grades in many places.
Without the intercooler the EGT's would climb pretty rapidly to 1300 degrees and would force me to slow it down well before the top of the hill at close to 1350. The temperature would normally run at 180 but during the hard work would climb to 220 at which point I would again shift it down, this would usually happen pretty early on on the hill.
All of these #'s were pretty much the same with the larger IC but happened much later in the game. I found I needed to shift down a gear much further up the hill and mid range response was slightly better. I did concern myself more wit the engine temp more than the EGT's this time as the IC blocks part of the radiator core, even at that the temp seemed to climb slower than before.
Daily driving the EGT will get to about 900 when I'm driving normally driving like it's a sports car I can get on it getting 1000 with the previous IC. It's a little lower than this with the new IC and again it feels as if there is better mid range power for whatever reason.

Right now I am controlling boost at the intake and controlling the pump at the turbo, it's a little smoky.
In both cases the max boost I'm getting on the (cheap) gauge is 14PSI which it typical to two other 300's in the neighborhood.

All in all I'm pretty pleased, there is more to do as the fan shroud is compromised now, getting the worked out should help get the temps down a bit..
Oh and there's that VGT project I need to get finished....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Big, Red and ... aaa Red..
Old August 8th, 2009, 03:32 PM
JSQ
Jack Quinlan

Well I still don't have any relevant performance review for the ebay intercooler, because I'm still not on the road, but my lift pump showed up and it's in.
The old was definitely done and now the engine seems to have an abundance of fuel. The idle is nice and even, but it's really high. Still not responsive to throttle and the idle set screw on the the throttle assembly is backed out all the way.
Time to learn how to adjust the fuel...
Old August 8th, 2009, 04:56 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSQ
Well I still don't have any relevant performance review for the ebay intercooler, because I'm still not on the road, but my lift pump showed up and it's in.
The old was definitely done and now the engine seems to have an abundance of fuel. The idle is nice and even, but it's really high. Still not responsive to throttle and the idle set screw on the the throttle assembly is backed out all the way.
Time to learn how to adjust the fuel...
what about the accelerator cable ? thats how I adjust idle on Tdi's. Black adjustment nut just like on Rangie classics

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old August 8th, 2009, 08:09 PM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

Sounds like your injection pump may be fawked. Sorry to say. Was prolly run for a while with bad lift pump and now it is hammered. Buck knows a good shop in San Diego to build the pump for you.

Old August 8th, 2009, 08:15 PM
JSQ
Jack Quinlan

It's all good.
Just needed to adjust the low idle fuel stop screw. Balanced that against the base idle on the throttle assembly and got it purring.

Just went for the first real test drive to have lunch.

I had the carnitas plate.
It was delicious.
Old August 8th, 2009, 08:26 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
cool another tdi, enjoy. They are the shiznit

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old August 9th, 2009, 12:06 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSQ
It's all good.
Just needed to adjust the low idle fuel stop screw. Balanced that against the base idle on the throttle assembly and got it purring.

Just went for the first real test drive to have lunch.

I had the carnitas plate.
It was delicious.
Cool! Glad it is all okay. The pump scares me a little. I always took it to other people. Your a better man than me. How do you like the motor?

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old August 12th, 2009, 12:35 AM
JSQ
Jack Quinlan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckon37s
Cool! Glad it is all okay. The pump scares me a little. I always took it to other people. Your a better man than me. How do you like the motor?
I'm loving life with the three hundy.
You know what I'm talking about when I describe the satisfaction of going the same speed as other cars on the freeway now, not to mention powersteering and all the other joys of my new powertrain. It feels pretty good.

I need to install the EGT sensor before I start to play more with the IP and wastegate acuator rod.
Old August 12th, 2009, 01:03 AM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

Glad it snapped out of it for you. Was concerned when you said it had no throttle response. Put some automatic transmission fluid in your fuel tank to help "wash" out the gunk in the IP. A quart with full tank. It will smell a bit.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
300 tdi, tdi