300 tdi intercooler - Page 5 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 12th, 2009, 10:24 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryland 110
Already have upped the fuel and boost a bit. The highest I have gotten it is 1000 degrees.
Up it more. I can hit 1200 no problem. 1000 is way below trouble area.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 12th, 2009, 11:36 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Headed that way- need a boost gauge first

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old February 15th, 2009, 04:16 PM
JSQ
Jack Quinlan

Anyone, dimensions on the hoses for the oversize intercoolers?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 15th, 2009, 06:41 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I re-used the stock elbows

Dividing Creek Imports

Old February 15th, 2009, 11:23 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSQ
Anyone, dimensions on the hoses for the oversize intercoolers?
Stock size. I know the new intercooler hoses are all pretty and whatnot, but they are not worth the money. They do nothing but add dressup to the motor. If you still want them, go to Kartech in corona and rummage through the silicone hose bin. They have more reasonable deals. I think allard is something like $100 for the hoses. Total ripoff.

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old February 16th, 2009, 02:41 PM
JSQ
Jack Quinlan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckon37s
Stock size. I know the new intercooler hoses are all pretty and whatnot, but they are not worth the money. They do nothing but add dressup to the motor. If you still want them, go to Kartech in corona and rummage through the silicone hose bin. They have more reasonable deals. I think allard is something like $100 for the hoses. Total ripoff.
Word.
I have no hoses so I might as well get the slick ones. I'll probably use this www.siliconehose.com joint and get a set in black so they're not too El Pimp.
Old May 14th, 2009, 12:02 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
So anyone install one of these? Pictures? Review?
Old May 14th, 2009, 01:22 PM
crown14
Verticalscrote
Volkswagen Super Beetle
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Might get around to messing with my Allard today, but its on a Disco
Old May 14th, 2009, 04:11 PM
revor
Keith Kreutzer
Old beat up 110
D-90 Source Vendor

I might give it a go over the weekend.

Big, Red and ... aaa Red..
Old May 14th, 2009, 05:21 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Not the Allard. I'm sure that is fine.

I'm talking about the $150 eBay special. Would like to know how the sizing works out and the performance. It is less than a 1/3 the cost of any other option, so if it is good, I'm all for it.
Old July 12th, 2009, 08:00 PM
revor
Keith Kreutzer
Old beat up 110
D-90 Source Vendor

Okay months later I got some time and installed said intercooler.

WHAT A PITA!!!! Not so much but the usual stuff gets in the way.
Once the IC is in place it's nearly impossible to tighter the bolts for the hood latch support. trimming was done to the breakfast to clear the cooler and the fan shroud. I still need to pick up a 45 degree 2" turbo hose for the lower connection.

I built a bracket that used the tabs that the hood latch supports went to and then came down from the hood latch support for the upper mounting.

No can fit the safety catch for the bonnet so hood pins are in my future..

As usual I suck at pics. So no documentation..

Performance results will come soon...

Big, Red and ... aaa Red..
Old July 12th, 2009, 11:02 PM
Retrofit
Pat
1984 110 CrewCab 200Tdi

I don't know if it is the same on the 300tdi but on my 200tdi, with stock injection pump settings and this intercooler, I was hitting 800F at 65mph and 925 tops on strong climbs at highway speeds in fourth gear. Now I can't say if this allot lower than with a stock intercooler as I didnot have an EGT prior the intercooler install.

Hope it helps and yes it is allot of fidling to get that in and still wandering if it was all worth it. At this moment I have played with pumps setting and will be putting more fuel in but before I do that I have to install the boost meter.

Hope this hepls.

Pat

Kirk Lazarus, Tropic Thunder

color="Red">CanadaOverland.com
Old July 13th, 2009, 08:32 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
What I did was to make two plates that came from the inside bottom plate of the radiator/intercooler box. These had holes and gromets for the pins on the bottom of the intercooler. For the top/side mounts I used strap steel about an inch wide and attached/bolted them to the intercooler and then radiused/curved them back to the outside edges of the radiator box and welded them. This way the radiator and intercooler still remove from the truck as a unit. The weight still rests on the rubber mounts on the top of the frame rails. Its plenty ridgid and has been problem free for six months. I did have to trim the stock fan shroud for the intercooler inlet and outlet hoses and I also removed the cross bar braces that strengthen the hood latch panel for clearance for the intercooler. I have an early truck so it had the neat manual "reach through the grill" hood latch and that still works fine. The biggest issue I had was the repeated in and out of the truck with the very heavy radiator/intercooler box while we mocked it up. Thanks again to Charles Galpin for helping me with that project. If memory serves we started @ 1 in the afternoon and finished around 9pm on a Sunday night. One of the things that needed correcting was mounting the intercooler low enough to clear the hood latch mechanism.
From a performance standpoint I now have trouble getting above 1050 on the egt. My fueling has been turned up signifigantly. I have an a/c system to install and will probably move the pins on the bottom of the radiator frame/box in order to move the netire thing back towards the engine fan. There is about a foot between the raditor and fan so moving the entire box back about 2 inches to make room for an a/c condensor and fan should be no problem.

Dividing Creek Imports

Old July 13th, 2009, 09:54 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryland 110
What I did was to make two plates that came from the inside bottom plate of the radiator/intercooler box. These had holes and gromets for the pins on the bottom of the intercooler. For the top/side mounts I used strap steel about an inch wide and attached/bolted them to the intercooler and then radiused/curved them back to the outside edges of the radiator box and welded them. This way the radiator and intercooler still remove from the truck as a unit. The weight still rests on the rubber mounts on the top of the frame rails. Its plenty ridgid and has been problem free for six months. I did have to trim the stock fan shroud for the intercooler inlet and outlet hoses and I also removed the cross bar braces that strengthen the hood latch panel for clearance for the intercooler. I have an early truck so it had the neat manual "reach through the grill" hood latch and that still works fine. The biggest issue I had was the repeated in and out of the truck with the very heavy radiator/intercooler box while we mocked it up. Thanks again to Charles Galpin for helping me with that project. If memory serves we started @ 1 in the afternoon and finished around 9pm on a Sunday night. One of the things that needed correcting was mounting the intercooler low enough to clear the hood latch mechanism.
From a performance standpoint I now have trouble getting above 1050 on the egt. My fueling has been turned up signifigantly. I have an a/c system to install and will probably move the pins on the bottom of the radiator frame/box in order to move the netire thing back towards the engine fan. There is about a foot between the raditor and fan so moving the entire box back about 2 inches to make room for an a/c condensor and fan should be no problem.
Hey,

If you don't mind, can you take a picture of the engine location? I want to see why I have very little room between the rad and engine and most seem to have a lot. Thanks

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old July 13th, 2009, 10:02 AM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
Dave

you have a 300tdi/r380 combo, mounted more or less in the stock location though IIRC you told me you had to mount it an inch or so back because you kept the lt77 floors. the 200tdi uses the old lt77 boxes with the short bellhousing, and so it sits much further back from the radiator than the 300's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckon37s
Hey,

If you don't mind, can you take a picture of the engine location? I want to see why I have very little room between the rad and engine and most seem to have a lot. Thanks
Old July 13th, 2009, 10:30 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ren Ching
Dave

you have a 300tdi/r380 combo, mounted more or less in the stock location though IIRC you told me you had to mount it an inch or so back because you kept the lt77 floors. the 200tdi uses the old lt77 boxes with the short bellhousing, and so it sits much further back from the radiator than the 300's.
thanks. I didn't see it was a 200. All that space would be nice!

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old July 30th, 2009, 06:41 PM
JSQ
Jack Quinlan

I finished putting the ebay intercooler into my 110 for the re-power.

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_8AqLEYwCLgc/Sn...2/P1080457.JPG

I doubt my install details will be very helpful for anyone other than Dave or those with Ex-MOD trucks, but regardless, I had plenty of room to accommodate the larger intercooler. When positioning my powertrain I kept the mounts for the t-case and worked forward from there. With the short gearbox the engine had plenty of clearance in the front. I actually had to move the radiator back quite a bit to get the fan shroud over the fan.

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_8AqLEYwCLgc/Sg...0/DSC04031.JPG

I know most have tried to keep the intercooler and radiator boxed together as a single unit, but I decided I wanted to be able to remove either of them seperately. To that end I added a second set of mounts from a donor D-90 to the crossmember for the intercooler to sit on.

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_8AqLEYwCLgc/Sn...0/P1080476.JPG

And I welded a bar across the diagonal rad supports to bolt to the face of the intercooler.

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_8AqLEYwCLgc/Sn...2/P1080481.JPG

There's plenty of space for the radiator and intercooler as it sits.

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_8AqLEYwCLgc/Sn...2/P1080480.JPG

I had to trim the inlet to clear the steering box and switched to a 45 degree bend hose. I had a bead TIG-welded onto the inlet to prevent the hose from slipping.

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_8AqLEYwCLgc/Sn...0/P1080463.JPG

I'd say it was relatively straightforward, but I don't have any fans, A/C condenser, oil cooler, tranny cooler or any of that other stuff to deal with. Life is simple.

More pics on the thread I have going on the EE bbs.

Don't ask me how it works, I still haven't turned the key on this motor.
Old July 30th, 2009, 07:34 PM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

Thats one way to use the extra 2" you get when you put the transmission back in the LT 77 position. Hope you get to fire it up soon.

Advice is only as good as the person applying it--
Don't make me give you bad advice!

Lemons or lemonaide, whatever your taste provides.
Old July 30th, 2009, 07:56 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Hey Jack,

Your truck looks awesome. Thanks for doing that. Unfortunately, even though I moved my engine back 3.5in from stock, I used up all the space available by mounting my winch behind the grill. Can you tell me how tall the intercooler is? I only have 9in vertically to play with.

PS: I really like your radiator mount. Very nice and clean.

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old July 31st, 2009, 12:13 PM
JSQ
Jack Quinlan

Thanks. We'll see what happens.

Quick question:
What is this line coming off the injector pump?

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_8AqLEYwCLgc/Sn...0/P1080471.JPG

Is it a breather?

It's not in any pictures in the shop manual and I can't find anything on the web.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
300 tdi, tdi