300 tdi injectors - high pressure injector option for replacement? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old August 1st, 2011, 11:59 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
300 tdi injectors - high pressure injector option for replacement?

Are there any injector differences between the mid-90's 300tdi's and the later model 300tdi's?

I'm contemplating a new set, and it is my understanding that if there are any later-model "high pressure" injectors that may be a better option then it may be in my best interest to consider it (per my diesel mechanic) as it may give better fuel economy, spray pattern, and perhaps even a quieter functioning engine.

I do realize this may then in turn call for a replacement fuel pump, which is not a problem. I had the pleasure to recently hear a brand-new 300tdi fire up and was amazed at how it just purred and was exceptionally quiet not only at startup but also at speed.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 2nd, 2011, 01:39 AM
navydevildoc
Neill Thornton
1984 D90 300 Tdi / 1965 Series IIA
Site Team

Registry
Someone with more history on the 300 Tdi can chime in and correct me, but to my knowledge there were very few changes to the engine as the years went by.

The only 2 things I know of are a new alternator and pulley which changed the length of the serpentine belt, and the addition of the EGR system.

So no new injectors or pump.
Old August 2nd, 2011, 08:27 AM
diesel_jim
Jamie Austin
1992 110 Td5 CSW & 1989 MB G-Wagen

There is only one injector listed for the 300, which is ERR3339 (or ERR3339E for exchange ones) they're all the same from the begining to end of production, disco or defender or rangie.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 2nd, 2011, 04:12 PM
roverx
Scott Preston
1969 Ser IIA Tdi Hybrid

Hey Jason,

For what it's worth. I know the injectors can be rebuilt with a 20% larger nozzle. I talked with local diesel shop about it. It's almost $400. Not sure if it's really worth the investment as new injectors are Just about $500.

You can also advance the pump timing which seems to be the best method to increase power. Maybe Jamie can chime in. Local shop by me in Nashville will rebuild the pump and advance the timing for $800.

I know Charlie Haigh has the tools to advance the timing. Can't remember what he charges but only takes about an hour or less.

A friend Kelly Graham live up the road and did the pump rebuild on his 110. It is night and day difference.

Best of luck.

Cheers
Scott
2003 VW Jetta wagon 1.9 Tdi 5 speed
1995 Range Rover Classic 300 Tdi SoftDash (My Son's)

"Be the person your dog thinks you are"
Old August 2nd, 2011, 05:23 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
With a bigger nozzle, obviously that will affect power (in a good way), but I'm guessing it may adversely affect mileager? What about relative volume/loudness of the engine....how would a nozzle change affect that?

Scott - by the way, impressive Tdi lineup across the board you have!
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Old August 2nd, 2011, 05:35 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
FWIW I upped the fuelling on my engine and increased economy. Many stock 300's are so detuned that you end up doing longer gear pulls and winding the engine out to higher rpms than is necessary with a pump tuned to the engine.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old August 2nd, 2011, 07:12 PM
roverx
Scott Preston
1969 Ser IIA Tdi Hybrid

Hi Jason,

Thanks I love diesels and am actually building a 3rd 300 tdi with my son. They are super simple and really a lot of fun.

As for the nozzles, They explained that it was a better fuel spray pattern and increased power and economy. Having not gone that route I have zero experience with volume/noise. Honestly, my experience is the 300tdi is really just one or two steps from a farm tractor. I actually like the loud tic,tic,tic. My jetta tdi is super quiet in comparison. I talked with Charlie Haigh a lot. He owns 2 300 tdi's and is a factory LR mechanic. He feels that pump timing is the best way to increase power and economy.

Scott
2003 VW Jetta wagon 1.9 Tdi 5 speed
1995 Range Rover Classic 300 Tdi SoftDash (My Son's)

"Be the person your dog thinks you are"
Old August 2nd, 2011, 11:18 PM
Turbofan
Ethan
'73 SIII/ D90 Hybrid

Remember if you start playing with injection pressures (IE increasing injector pressure/cracking pressure), you will be effectively retarding the timing on the engine, as it will take longer for the injection pump to reach the pressure needed to open the injector. Adjusting your injection pump timing will effectively overcome this. I'd suggest an EGT if you are going to be playing with your fueling, just as a precautionary measure.

With that said, after you buy your larger injector nozzles and install your EGT gauge, rip the top off your injection pump and do the "governor mod", and kiss that stock fuel curve goodbye!

Happy tuning!
Old August 3rd, 2011, 06:54 AM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

Fresh standard injectors will generally *quieten* the engine somewhat. Old sticky and leaking injectors will make it *hammer* and not do the motor a ton of good. Seems as if a lot of 300's are in the market for fresh injectors.

new expansion complete. Not only are we the only Rover shop in Eliot Maine...now we're also the biggest.

"Dedicated to the resurrection of junk through engineering?"
Old August 3rd, 2011, 03:32 PM
Capt Milks
Mike
Defender V-8, Defender 2.25

Check out some of the Cummings Diesel engine blogs. The pumps are the same, or close to, as earlier Cummings motors. They go into detail on how to adjust your pump. It seems that there is a fine line between max hp and lots of Black smoke.
Old August 3rd, 2011, 11:43 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by junkyddog11 View Post
Fresh standard injectors will generally *quieten* the engine somewhat. Old sticky and leaking injectors will make it *hammer* and not do the motor a ton of good. Seems as if a lot of 300's are in the market for fresh injectors.
Well, based on Matt's advice (and essentially what I was leaning towards doing anyhow) ordered up a fresh set of injectors. Figured I'd give it a whirl, see how it works out...I was starting to get that hammering a little bit, so probably was due for a set.

Thanks Matt...by the way, can't wait to see Ken Curley's rig when you're done with it! We're psuedo-neighbors here in NY and he speaks highly of you.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Old September 4th, 2011, 07:12 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Let me just say WOW...what a difference. Got the injectors installed today. First of all, RIDICULOUSLY easy - would have been 45minutes start-to-finish if I hadn't snapped one of the injector mounting studs and had to make a trip to the hardware store.

But man what a difference it has made in engine noise - not that is was deafening before, but I notice a HUGE difference at idle, and even at highway speeds it was a heck of a lot quieter. I can hear the boost kick in clear as day now, whereas before it was getting overshadowed by the engine noise.

I honestly can't believe it...money well spent. Looking forward to seeing what this does to my fuel economy, which was down to 22-23mpg.

I took quite a few pics and plan to post a "HOW TO" thread, even though really this was so straightforward it really doesn't even need it. But for folks out there like me that tend to overthink their projects - as I did with this one - this is one that you can just tackle and crank out in no time.

If your injectors are pushing 70-80K miles, I say change them...you'll thank me later.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Old September 4th, 2011, 10:03 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
For posterity:
http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ad.php?t=33023
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Old July 7th, 2017, 02:56 PM
cbnicholes
Chris
1988 Defender 90

2.5td injector pump in 300tdi?

Can anyone tell me if a 2.5td injector pump will work on a 300tdi?

Any info is greatly appreciated!
Old July 7th, 2017, 03:00 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

No it will not.
Even if you could get it to bolt in place, the pop-off pressure of the 300TDI injectors are different than that of the 2.5 TD.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
300 tdi, ac, tdi