300 tdi in a 97 automatic - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old November 11th, 2008, 09:12 AM
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles
Originally Posted by junkyddog11
Not trying to be a dickhead, and I'm not making this up as I see it in NH and MA and understand that CONN is going the same way as well as other states. If you cannot get diagniostics through the OBDII port the state will not OK the emmisions. The tester does not even have the option of passing.

Even older / heavier GVWR vehicles are starting to get opacity tested.

Just thought this might be usefull info for those looking at a conversion.
To offer my two cents, don't bother with a '97 at this point. From what I have been told, it is only a matter of time before NY will join the ranks of those with integrated systems from state to federal (EPA). And light diesels will return to emissions testing. This is what is happening in NH and MA that the Slut speaks of. The only potential saving grace would be if a "window" is implemented for exempt vehicles due to rapidly declining percentages of older cars on the road. Though don't expect that as people begin to keep old cars on the road longer due to the current economy.

If you want to take the risks, use the '97. If you want to play it safe and leave it without future questioning, convert some other year. I strongly recommend converting an older truck. It isn't worth the hassle to go '97.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

300 tdi, 97, tdi