300 Tdi Ignition switch - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 9th, 2012, 10:55 AM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McDonough View Post
Hi Jason,

I just now happen to be able to increase the resolution of the fine pic you took of the ignition. A couple of questions come to mid;

Trying to figure out the orientation of the connections; Your picture seems to be taken with the switch installed on the column and at sort of a 45 degree angle (in relation to the lower dash) from above, like sitting in the middle of the truck? Is this correct?

Is your Brown/White wire plugged to a double lug terminal?

The Orange/white and red/white wires appear to be connect to individual lugs. Is this correct?

Would you say that looking directly over the switch from above, the White wire and orange/white wires are connected to lugs that are opposit each other and are connected to the upper most lugs on the switch with the switch installed?

Perry Mason

brown/white is on a double-lug, orange/white and red/white are on individual lugs opposite from one another on the top. Here's your pic with comments:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	300%20Tdi%20Ignition%20switch copy.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	391.3 KB
ID:	50083  
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 9th, 2012, 11:04 AM
Mark McDonough
Mark McDonough
66' IIa, 95 D 90 300 Tdi, 94,98 D1

Thanks Jason,

I appreciate it. That pretty much confirms what I thought and although my one wire is just Brown, not Brown/white, suffice it is to say it's probably one and the same as far as the switch is concerned.

If I get this thing hooked up tonight, I'll do some testing that may help you out and let you know what I find.

Mark
Old April 9th, 2012, 11:07 AM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
As long as that brown is constant hot that should be all the ignition switch cares about...it just needs constant power to activate the other positions on the switch.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 9th, 2012, 11:17 AM
Mark McDonough
Mark McDonough
66' IIa, 95 D 90 300 Tdi, 94,98 D1

Yes, it was the slight difference in wiring from the various model trucks out there that threw me off when first investigating this issue. It appears that even within the 1995 model year, there were slightly different wiring schemes and of course most of the wiring diagrams out there seemed to be originally generated with just representative connections in mind.

Thank goodness for the resources here on D90!
Old November 10th, 2016, 06:30 PM
TheOneTen
Eric Wages
1988 D110 300tdi/R380

Registry
Bringing this *very* old thread back to life. I'm more questioning of what color wires go *where*, not just which lug, but where is the other end of the wire?

I'm putting in my 300tdi into my old 19J body (and main wiring harness), so I need to know what wires go where. Color, no so important, as I can pin out everything.

Such as:

Ignition switch, pin 1: to back of starter/battery, brown

I have the wiring diagram below:

ie. pin 2 (dual pole) clearly indicates IN1 and IN2 and not POS2 per the diagrams. So...

Pin 1 = ?
Pin 2 (dual pole) = ?
Pin 3 = ?
Pin 4 = no connection
Pin 5 = ?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
300 tdi, switch, tdi