300 Tdi fule leak Questions!! - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 23rd, 2005, 12:31 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

300 Tdi fule leak Questions!!

Hey,

Well, I got the truck completely ready for the CC tonight. Switched out the intercooler, oil change, new fuel filter and a few other last minute checks. Just as I thought it was all good, I noticed a good size puddle under the car. It seems that there is a decent leak coming from the back side of my fuel pump. More specifically, the bottom fuel line out to my cylinder. I am leaving early Thurs and driving the 800+ miles to NM. I guess my question, is there going to be a serious problem driving the truck in this condition?? Is it a common problem? Is there a chance that this a sign that the whole shebange is going to let go?? The last thing I need is to be stranded in the desert! I don't have time to do a good fix. Any help is much appreciated. Pendy??

Dave

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 23rd, 2005, 01:17 AM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

I'd definitely get under and see what the issue is. Last thing you want is the fuel line to blow out on you, and without seeing the line and leak I can't issue a guess on if that would happen or not.

Either way, it's definitely going to cut into your cruising range per tank and cost money by the drip.

-Hans

My 100k stopped odometer fix

Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old February 23rd, 2005, 01:58 AM
whistler110
Mike Johnstone
ex-mod 110

I just went through a similar leak issue, the shut off solonoid was leaking and covered the botttom of the injector pump with fuel whenever the engine was running. I was losing 100km of fuel per tank.
Advertisement

Old February 23rd, 2005, 08:37 AM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
I had a similar issue after a few thousand miles of break in. All it required was a tightening of the banjo bolts.

Old February 23rd, 2005, 08:55 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Thanks guys. I will try that tonight. This must have been going on for a while unnoticed since my fuel range has been terrible lately. Dave, do you just tighten the farthest back bolt or the one closer to the pump as well?

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old February 23rd, 2005, 09:24 AM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Both, however the farthest back was the one that was leaking. I was careful not to overtighten, however their was a surprising amount of play.

Old February 23rd, 2005, 01:38 PM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond
110 200Tdi and a 2005 Scorpa SY250

Registry
My 90 is doing the same thing Enough to cover the underside of the truck. It's a very slight drip at idle. Sadly tightening the union doesn't seem to help. Maybe it was over tightened by a previous owner. Don't quite know what the fix is at the moment, might try some PTFE tape round the joint. I'd be interested in hearing of any fixes short of buying new pipes
Old February 23rd, 2005, 02:08 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Dave I think the pipes you are talkin' about are the fuel returns right?
Old February 23rd, 2005, 09:03 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

I don't know but I don't think so. They are the 4 that come off the back of the furl injector. The bottom one is leaking. David's online, do you know what the little lever is that is at the rear of the injector pump attached to the circular do-dad??? I just knocked it while I was trying to tighten the bolts, then played with it, now I can't figure out if it was up or down. I think I just started the self destruct sequence.

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old February 23rd, 2005, 09:32 PM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
David, I think that is just a bleed. I'd have to take a look at the manual though. Up or down shouldn't matter (don't get too anxious!!).

Old February 24th, 2005, 01:25 AM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond

Registry
That's it, self destruct initiated
The 4 pipes out the back lead to the injectors.
The fuel return is on top of the pump I think.
Old February 27th, 2005, 02:48 AM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond

Registry
Switched out the intercooler
You slipped that in & hoped I wouldn't notice. What have you got in there now? Does it do the job, how's the exhaust gas temp? Spill the beans David.
Old February 27th, 2005, 11:29 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Hey,

Its a Twisted Performance. I will post details for you. I am dead tired right now, just got back from CC and had major breakage. Long trip!

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old February 28th, 2005, 02:32 AM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond

Registry
Sorry to hear about the breakage. hope it won't prove too expensive. Did you fix the fuel leak?
My leak turned out to be a fuel return line from the injectors which ran down the head and block, along the bracket holding the injector pump to the block before dripping off of the pump to pipe to fuel injectors unions. Once I'd sussed that it took about 5 minutes and 0.00 to fix

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
300 tdi, tdi