300 tdi engine mounts - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 21st, 2011, 11:37 AM
trybul
Craig Hobbs
D90 83

300 tdi engine mounts

Want to thank everyone for repsonding to my earlier thread.
But i have a question that i thought should go in a new thread.
The person that is selling me the engine claims to have engine mounts for it that adapt the old 2.5 na ones to fit the new 300 tdi. I have tried to search on the internet but have found no such thing. I was hoping that someone that was experienced with installing these might have some info.
I would really rather not butcher the frame by cutting the old mounts out, and rewelding new ones in.
so if these do exist, i would love to get some confirmation.
thanks again.
your helps is always appreciated.
c
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 21st, 2011, 12:16 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
blocks are basically identical dimensions- with many of the same holes drilled and tapped. old mount bracets should unbolt from na and bolt right on to 300 block-use locktite.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old April 21st, 2011, 09:41 PM
RiftRover
Mike Barnett

Doug is right but if you do this it will place the engine in the same position as the 2.5NA, i.e. farther back than the stock 300TDI location. Probably won't work if you are using an R380 but would if you use the LT77. Usually the mounts that come with "kits" are weld on, not true adapters. You have to cut off the original mounts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 22nd, 2011, 12:27 AM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
You guys are both wrong. 200 tdi mounts won't go onto the 300tdi block as the oil filter is in the way. Changing the mounts on the block doesn't dictate the engine position in the chassis. The type and mounting method of the transmission is ultimately what dictates that. Of course any setup can be modified ad nauseum and made to work however one wants, but it sounds like cutting and welding ain't your thing. Look at it this way, cutting off the old engine mounts and welding the proper 300tdi mounts in place is by far the best way to go. It isn't "butchering" unless you fawk it up. So don't. Once you get the 300 running and happy you won't be wanting to go back to any other setup. I looked into most of the options being discussed here when I did my swap. I won't bore everyone with the details of that process again. Just put the right mounts on there, and move on with it.
Old April 22nd, 2011, 03:50 AM
TS888
Tony Sims
1984 110

The frame mounts for the 300TDi are dead simple, can be made up from flat stock. Any competent welder could make and install them in an hour. Get some measurements from someone with a 300TDi chassis for placement.
Originally Posted by chris snell
This is straight out of the Manual for Build Builders.
Tony
1984 110 "Smokey" (sold)
Old April 22nd, 2011, 11:36 AM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

Butcher the frame.

If you do a good job it will be better then the stock arrangement.

Advice is only as good as the person applying it--
Don't make me give you bad advice!

Lemons or lemonaide, whatever your taste provides.
Old April 22nd, 2011, 01:47 PM
diesel_jim
Jamie Austin
1992 110 Td5 CSW & 1989 MB G-Wagen

PM me your email, and i'll send over some pics with the dimensions of where the mounts go, and thw size of the mounts.

I've got a pair of 300 mounts in the garage at the moment, can take some real close up pics and dims if you want?
Old April 22nd, 2011, 05:47 PM
RiftRover
Mike Barnett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ren Ching View Post
You guys are both wrong. 200 tdi mounts won't go onto the 300tdi block as the oil filter is in the way. Changing the mounts on the block doesn't dictate the engine position in the chassis. The type and mounting method of the transmission is ultimately what dictates that.
Depends on how you look at it I guess. The R380 is longer which pushes the engine farther forward, which is why I said it wouldn't work with an R380. Wasn't aware the oil filter was different from 200 to 300. I've seen several trucks come out of the UK with a 300 TDI mated to an LT77, and the engine was farther back just like a 200 TDI, so they must be making custom mounts or changing the oil filter and using 200 mounts on the block.
Old April 22nd, 2011, 09:35 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
@riftrover- you can weld a 300tdi engine mount bracket anywhere you can make it fit. Yes there are quite a few trucks where the 300 has been mounted on an earlier short bellhousing trans. And I think you can use the 200tdi mounts if you get rid of the factory oil cooler setup. The question would be why when the later r380 is a better gearbox and there are factory parts to make it all work together and avoid the custom plumbing that becomes a hassle at every maintenance interval or for the next owner. It is a mug better solution to just get the right parts and "butcher" away. Well I will leave it alone for now but if the op wants to know more, send me a pm. I had lots of help from this forum and learned alot along the way, and always feel obliged to give back.

Present:
1960 SII 109"- "Red Square"
1984 90 Tdi- "Yamelo"
1988 RRC- "Chewbacca"
1987 RRC- "Chewy 2"
2008 RRS SC- "The Supersofa"

Past:
1959 SII 88"- "The Little Green Beastie" last seen in NY
1972 SIII 88"- "GreenHELL" now in NC
1988 90 "Eric the Half a Bee" half a truck, sold for parts
1991 RRC- never got a name- long since recycled
Old April 22nd, 2011, 10:26 PM
RiftRover
Mike Barnett

DB, I think you've misunderstood my intent. I agree completely with you about the R380 and welding new mounts. If someone is going go to the trouble to put in a 300 there is no reason not to do the trans too. I was just trying to clarify my comments about the location of the engine. We are saying the same thing in the end... One of the members of this board (someone from Canada I believe) used these bolt on mounts which would be even easier if you were OK with a bolt on solution.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	engine mounts.jpg
Views:	1895
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	38077  
Old April 23rd, 2011, 02:00 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Grab a 300 TDI rear crossmember. Bolt the drivetrain to it. Line up the mechanical fan to the fan shroud, weld in the mounts. You can make your own with almost no effort. This is the easiest way to do it, and probably the best.

That said, if I were to do it again, I would have moved the engine back 4in instead of 2in and made a custom crossmember.

BTW, I still have a modded rear crossmember if anyone needs it. I think someone wanted it, but I lost it and found it.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old April 25th, 2011, 04:42 PM
trybul
Craig Hobbs
D90 83

re: lots of information

WOW,
thanks for all the information guys.. this is great.

Buckon37s, this modded crossmember that you have, is it for an r380 to attach to? and if yes and you still have it, i would be very interested.

Rift Rover, would you be able to give some more insight into these bolt on mounts? Do they bolt onto the existing mounts? and if so do they position the engine in the factory position still so that there are not other mods needed?

Ren Ching.. I am going to take you up on your offer for sure.. i am going to need all the help i can get!

Jim, That would be amazing, i will pm you my email..

Pendy, thanks for the insight, and that is good to know..

everyone else.. the is great info, and i will take some time to go through it all
c

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
300 tdi, engine, mount, tdi