300 tdi Drive Belt Tensioner? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 14th, 2013, 10:25 PM
RockShow
Ben Goodwin
1996 D1

300 tdi Drive Belt Tensioner?

I just discovered that my main belt tensioner is locked up. Not the pulley, but the tension spring. I took it off, put it in the vice and was able to move it about half way and it didn't move back at all when I let it go.

The casing says Dayco and the part number looks to be "T12030". I have no way of knowing if this is the correct original part as you can't zoom in far enough on the rovers north site to read the Dayco number. But even the pro-line replacement is $112. I just did a tune-up on my suburban and the tensioner was $28.

Does anyone know the Dayco part number for the 300tdi main tensioner? Or somewhere to get one for a reasonable price? The only other numbers are a "7" on the pulley bolt and a "2" on the spring tab that sticks out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 14th, 2013, 11:15 PM
navydevildoc
Neill Thornton
1984 D90 300 Tdi / 1965 Series IIA
Site Team

Registry
If you don't need it in a hurry, Paddock has them for 25 quid. The LR part number is ERR4708.

If you do need it now, you will pay Rovers North their 300 dollar asking price plus shipping.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old December 15th, 2013, 03:21 PM
Bolson
Ben Olson
1995 Defender 110

Registry
Rovahfarm has them, 72 bux.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 15th, 2013, 04:33 PM
Viton
Deaf Ember
Smart 4x4

I'm always surprised when people 1st look to RN to get parts, maybe not, after all they do gold plate them.
Old December 15th, 2013, 06:24 PM
navydevildoc
Neill Thornton
1984 D90 300 Tdi / 1965 Series IIA
Site Team

Registry
I look first because 99% of the time they have the part. Their web site is also better than any other stateside defender stockist. They also answer the phone every time.

You pay for all of that convenience.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old December 16th, 2013, 07:57 PM
Viton
Deaf Ember
Smart 4x4

Neill, I f I was in the same situation you were on your trip to Alaska a couple of seasons ago, I'd have ordered my parts from RN just as you did.
Old December 17th, 2013, 07:29 AM
JFD
Julien Dalbin
05 Tdi 90

The tensioner spring do get seized with time, you have to spray some WD-40 inside from time to time.
Old December 17th, 2013, 02:21 PM
RockShow
Ben Goodwin
1996 D1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFD View Post
The tensioner spring do get seized with time, you have to spray some WD-40 inside from time to time.
I have had mine soaking in penetrating oil since Friday and it isn't moving.
Old December 17th, 2013, 02:27 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
there is supposed to be plastic in between the two halves. i think maybe if the plastic is gone then the aluminum starts to gall and the two halves seize together. Also I think they can wear so that the halves are not parallel to each other, which causes belt noise.

Better to replace, I've had good luck with the one i bought from George @ RDS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockShow View Post
I have had mine soaking in penetrating oil since Friday and it isn't moving.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions