300 TDI D110 Engine Questions - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 31st, 2008, 07:05 PM
SOUTHPAW26
Kelly
1994 D90-1993 NAS 110#280

300 TDI D110 Engine Questions

Well I just bought a 1993 NAS D110 with a 300 TDI engine conversion. I do not think the motor is running as it should though. What brings me to this conclusion is that when I try and pull up my drive way (which is on a hill) it will barely do it in first gear. The motor seems to be very very tight and is not suppose to have many miles on it at all. What do you guys think I should check first? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 31st, 2008, 07:22 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Hard to say. It should not have that problem. You should not even "need" first gear. How fast can you drive? Can you hear the turbo?
Old May 31st, 2008, 07:23 PM
D90user
steve
109/110 ambulance-55 series I

Is it smoking?

Do you have a 1.4 or 1.2 transfercase and what size tires?

How steep is your driveway?

There may be nothing wrong with your engine. Turbo diesels dont pull well before the turbo kicks in (my vw tdi is the same way). Your truck may be just geared too high and you driveway is steep... you can put it in low.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 31st, 2008, 07:28 PM
SOUTHPAW26
Kelly

I guess I need to get out and drive it some and see if the turbo is spooling up. I have only driven it around the block a few times as I just got it in. But when I pulled my driveway that kinda made me wanna ask about it first.

Follow-up Post:

The driveway is pretty steep but not straight up or anything. I guess I need to try and figure out what the t-case gearing is. The previous owner was unable to tell me that. But I would think that it would still pull up a hill decent in first gear.
Old May 31st, 2008, 08:31 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Kelly,

Is this the one out of PA that was on ebay ? That seller was discouraging folks from trying to drive it home- something about it not acheiving highway speeds.

Never mind just saw your post below. Congrats- I'm sure your mechanic cab figure it out. A 300 tdi should be able to drive up a brick wall.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old May 31st, 2008, 09:26 PM
DaveG
David
97' Disco-I 300TDI

I find with mine, under load at low speeds I really need to make sure I get to a high enough rpm to spool the turbo other wise it does die pretty easily. Diesel's do love to be romped on, don't be shy with it! Good luck.
Old June 1st, 2008, 06:19 PM
SOUTHPAW26
Kelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG
I find with mine, under load at low speeds I really need to make sure I get to a high enough rpm to spool the turbo other wise it does die pretty easily. Diesel's do love to be romped on, don't be shy with it! Good luck.
I think this was exactly my problem. I usually almost have to stop before entering my driveway due to a sharp turn and having to make sure no one is coming the oppisite way. But today I pulled in the driveway with engine tached up to about 3k and it came up the hill just fine. I got it out today and drove it around some. The turbo spools up perfectly, and I was able to hit 80 MPH with out any problems on flat ground. I am not sure if there is a easy way to tell what the T-case gearing is or not. But I plan to start on some repairs this coming week that I would like to do. I have many questions, which mainly will just be opions that I will be asking your guys help on if you dont mind. Should I start a post in the build thread or should I just add posts as I go?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
110, 300 tdi, d110, engine, tdi